Which has more impromptu tricks?

Apr 27, 2008
Alright this is not a what I should buy thread exactly. I am looking for more impromptu card tricks that hit hard and not quite sure about some products. Not technical moves really but just some tricks to study and try to fit into routines. My skill level is above intermediate but some of the moves people mention I don't recognize like Macdonalds Aces.

Should I go with

Erdnase stuff
Royal Road
Paper Engine
Astonishment 1 or 2 or 3
or anything else you could mention

I have trilogy & anthensome btw

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Alright this is not a what I should buy thread exactly. I am looking for more impromptu card tricks that hit hard and not quite sure about some products. Not technical moves really but just some tricks to study and try to fit into routines. My skill level is above intermediate but some of the moves people mention I don't recognize like Macdonalds Aces.

Should I go with

Erdnase stuff
Royal Road
Paper Engine
Astonishment 1 or 2 or 3
or anything else you could mention

I have trilogy & anthensome btw

Well it's just a given that you should study Erdnase, pretty much regardless. But, having said that, the beauty of Erdnase is in the sleights, the technicalities. Royal Road is another given that you should pretty much just own. Obviously, it's pretty much a course in magic. Paper Engine has some nice thinking behind it as well as nice effects. The sleights are very technical and most are not easy, but it probably has the most collection of effects suited for you. AoA is another choice mostly of effects - but there are many non-card items as well. So it sounds like Paper Engine fits your description best - although you really should own the first two regardless of where you are and what you're looking for.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I definitely agree with what Praetorievong has to say, as usual. If you don't have Erdnase or Royal Road, then you need to get them in your life. Plus Expert Card Technique.

Out of the options you gave I'd also recommend The Paper Engine, but you say you're not looking for "technical moves", so would that imply that you want more easy-to-do material?

Apr 27, 2008
No, not easy to do, I have no problem practicing difficult material but I meant moves like the Pass or Gravity Half pass, they are very good but I don't use their applications and use other moves instead like a simple color change with some fake shuffle. Also the second reason I don't do a pass is because I have broken a few fingers and they are kinda crooked so cards tend to slip during some moves.

Jan 28, 2009
Erdnase's expert at the card table is a great book. The first person that taught me a magic trick told me it is the Bible of card magic and manipulation, and I have seen nothing since on DVD or any other format to convince me otherwise.

And if you have never read Erdnase, or Huggard, or any other similar work based on the fundamentals of card handling, your skill level is only above intermediate in your own mind.

Buying the Trilogy first is like deciding you want to take up shooting and then buying a rocket launcher and with no training starting to fire it.

You may eventually get good with a Rocket Launcher, but you're no marksman.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results