Books on performing

So I am a good performer and showman, I believe, but I always love to read books on things such as performance and performance theory and how to be a better showman. So here a couple thingas I would lke to know.

What are some books on improving showmanship?

What are some books on performance and performance theory? (Magic related)

And E used to have a thing called Street Theater. Is that sold anywhere now???

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
First two that pop into my head are Maximum Entertainment and Strong magic. I'm sure you can find many informations and reviews fro each of them. Personally I enjoyed Strong Magic more, it talks more about what kind of trick makes for a good performance, not just how to perform tricks well. I found both books amazing though, I learnt a lot from each.

Sep 1, 2007
For years, I have been imploring magicians to get the complete
Tarbell Course in Magic. Harlan Tarbell teaches in this course how to become a real magician. As he says right in the beginning of Volume One, “One can give medicine to a friend, but that does not make him a doctor.” Tarbell trains people to be real magicians knowing the mechanics and fundamentals of magic.

Far too many young performers think that mastering magic is learning just sleights and words. Studying Tarbell teaches you what it is really all about. When you understand the total concept of what it means to be a magician, you will act and perform accordingly. When you do, your audience will recognize you as a skilled performer and give you the attention and respect necessary to work your miracles.

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
I have not read Maximum Entertainment or Strong Magic but have heard lots of recommendations on them. I suggest "Win the Crowd" by Steve Cohen (The Millionaire's Magician). oh yes... Here is an E-zine you will love
http://coinsnatching.com/

May 31, 2008
You might want to look into improvisation classes. I take them in school, and ever since spectator seem to like me better. I guess I seem like I'm easier to relate to.

Aug 31, 2007
You can also check out Derren Brown's Absolute Magic. Great book. Out of Print. I have an extra copy of it. But, it's expensive. Contact me if you'd be interested in buying it.

Matt Mello

Sep 1, 2007
Absolute Magic - Derren Brown
Pure Effect - Derren Brown
Tangled Wed - Eric Mead
The Five Points in Magic - Juan Tamariz
Strong Magic - Darwin Ortiz
Maximum Entertainment - Ken Weber
Structural Conception of Magic - Ascanio
Magic and Showmanship - Henning Nelms
Fitzkee Trilogy - Dariel Fitzkee

Theres a section on presentation etc in Expert Card Technique.

Those are just a few, its up to you to find them my friend.

Sep 1, 2007
I can. Magicians are lazy. As much as they like to talk about Robert-Houdin's famous quote, very few of them are willing to actually invest any time learning what acting really entails.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results