Recommended Books and DVDs

This thread is going to have an extensive list of books and DVDs.

The only recommendations are the ones which are classics, and are recommended here at least 5 times by different magicians.

I have added Maximum Entertainment because no matter what it is going to be on this list. So get these recommendations going, then I can add them to the list!

Recommendations:

Maximum Entertainment - Ken Weber (Book)

Sep 1, 2007
For years, I have been imploring magicians to get the complete
Tarbell Course in Magic. Harlan Tarbell teaches in this course how to become a real magician. As he says right in the beginning of Volume One, “One can give medicine to a friend, but that does not make him a doctor.” Tarbell trains people to be real magicians knowing the mechanics and fundamentals of magic.

Far too many young performers think that mastering magic is learning just sleights and words. Studying Tarbell teaches you what it is really all about. When you understand the total concept of what it means to be a magician, you will act and perform accordingly. When you do, your audience will recognize you as a skilled performer and give you the attention and respect necessary to work your miracles.

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
For years, I have been imploring magicians to get the complete
Tarbell Course in Magic. Harlan Tarbell teaches in this course how to become a real magician. As he says right in the beginning of Volume One, “One can give medicine to a friend, but that does not make him a doctor.” Tarbell trains people to be real magicians knowing the mechanics and fundamentals of magic.

Far too many young performers think that mastering magic is learning just sleights and words. Studying Tarbell teaches you what it is really all about. When you understand the total concept of what it means to be a magician, you will act and perform accordingly. When you do, your audience will recognize you as a skilled performer and give you the attention and respect necessary to work your miracles.

hmmm......yes if you want your audience to recognise you as a skilled performer,but i would prefer that my audience sees me as another "guy"
who can amuse them with his CHARACTER and EFFECTS not as a "magician"(hope you understand). I have never NEVER stated i am a magician or that i do card tricks, i just perform ,

that is of course if dont do stage magic or sth along these lines

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
Derren Brown's Absolute Magic... some incredible and original ideas concerning the presentation and theory of magic- also it's hilarious

Sep 1, 2007
Putting in my vote for the Tarbell Course.

Also, I want to get some support going for the following:

Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic
Fundamentals by Bob Cassidy
Practical Mental Effects
Modern Coin Magic
Royal Road to Card Magic
13 Steps to Mentalism
The Jinx

And now for a collection of books that every magician should have, but have a snowball's chance in hell of making it on this list.

An Actor Prepares
The Art of Seduction
The Book of the Damned
The Definitive Book of Body Language
The Power of Myth

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
Putting in my vote for the Tarbell Course.

Also, I want to get some support going for the following:

Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic
Fundamentals by Bob Cassidy
Practical Mental Effects
Modern Coin Magic
Royal Road to Card Magic
13 Steps to Mentalism
The Jinx

consider it supported. I own all those except for the jinx. All great.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Recommendations:

Maximum Entertainment
13 Steps to Mentalism
Card College
Royal Road
Expert Coin Magic
Strong Magic
Designing Miracles
Absolute Magic
Tarbell Course
Tangled Web
Art of Astonishment
Expert at the Card Table
Smoke and Mirrors
Session
Showman Ship for Magicians
Psychological Subtleteyes 1&2
Mystique (osterlind)

Now Dvds...
Devils Picture Book
Educating Archer (im sorry i just love this man)
Real Secrets of magic
Paul Harris Stars of Magic
Skullduggery
Eugene Goez Bizzarre
TA
Green Magic
Lets Get Flurious
The Basics of Sleeving
Expert Sleeving Made Easy
Lapping it Up
Fantasio The Lecture
Yannick Chretien
PSI Series
Mind Mysteries Series
No Camera Tricks Series
Nothing

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
I am looking for some good dvds on card magic, could someone give me some recommendations?

Right now i am so tired of all the new cool and flashy "Look at me how awsome i am" magic. I want some simple and direct card magic that actually entertains people.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results