What to do when...

Sep 1, 2007
That depends on how good you are as a salesman. And, coincindentally, it depends on how good you are as a performer. There are a lot of people who can tell jokes, but they aren't all professional comedians. There are a lot of people who can do a card trick, but they aren't professional magicians. What makes you a professional performer is how well you deal with people. I'm fairly sure that the dictionary definition of "professional" is to do with money, but that's clearly bulllsh*t because you can't earn money as a "professional" unless you appeal to actual, genuine, people.

I can't please everybody. I used to think I could. When I stopped doing that, I actually made more money.

Again, I don't believe in the demonization of strategic withdrawal.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
The problem with trying to force your stuff on people who don't want to see it is that every other table will see what you are doing and will then look at you like "What a jerk!" So if you are table hopping, there goes all your customers and clients. The same goes for Cocktail parties. You end up losing more people, and if somebody doesn't want to see your stuff. Oh well, One less table to worry about.

Not to mention it's just rude to try to do that to people. I don't care how much you sugar coat it. It looks stupid and rude to try to force people to buy or enjoy something.

Sep 2, 2007
London
The problem with trying to force your stuff on people who don't want to see it is that every other table will see what you are doing and will then look at you like "What a jerk!" So if you are table hopping, there goes all your customers and clients. The same goes for Cocktail parties. You end up losing more people, and if somebody doesn't want to see your stuff. Oh well, One less table to worry about.

Not to mention it's just rude to try to do that to people. I don't care how much you sugar coat it. It looks stupid and rude to try to force people to buy or enjoy something.

How about not trying to force yourself on people who don't want it, but instead learning how to appeal to everyone? Don't even bother telling me that's impossible. It's difficult, I accept.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a lot of great stories on here, i hope mine can keep the trend going.

I have a friend who attended my high school for a few months, and i found out he did card magic also, so i wanted to get to know him better. later, he became homeschooled, but he already got his name out somewhat in school. And people know im a magician as well, and while im doing tricks, someone will ask "can you do that one that so-and-so does?" (stigmata was once asked about.) I say that i know how to do it, but i dont do that particular trick. I then go one to show something of my style, and they forget about the other magician.

I talked about this with him, and he said the same is for him. Kids ask him "can you do the one Jacob (me) does with the aces?" he says the same thing i do and moves on to his own tricks.
So its about how you approach the situation i guess and handle the spectators, as many before me have said.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
How about not trying to force yourself on people who don't want it, but instead learning how to appeal to everyone? Don't even bother telling me that's impossible. It's difficult, I accept.

You can't appeal to everyone and you shouldn't try. You'll just end up making it harder on yourself. Like the old saying goes. "You can't please everybody."

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results