To TA owners - LVL2 better than original?

Sep 1, 2007
To all TA owners,

I want to hear what you think about the new Las Vegas Leaper. Is it necessarily better than the original?

The added kicker at the end definitely makes the effect stronger...

However, the big minus is that the new handing is a lot less open in my opinion. Putting the cards in the box in the beginning doesn't seem to be too motivated.
Furthermore, the spectator has to hold the cards in a certain awkward way when they count them.
And when the spectators take the cards out of their pocket, they have take each card out one at a time...which to some spectators may be very tedious.

What do you think about it?

Sep 1, 2007
Putting the cards in the box is completely motivated. Now it certainly doesnt work for all performers, it needs a certain air of casualness. All you have to do it put them in then realize you forgot to let them count them.

Granted, the holding position is more awkward, but you validate this with presentation as well.

The downsides to it are completely presentational, if you can justify with presentation, you're set.

The kicker ending is killer. It floored me watching it, as well as the people I perform it for. I think this ones killer. Just take the time and work out a presentation that works for you and you're set.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
For cards in box motivation, just act if the trick really is going in that direction, as if you need to put them in the box aka. the casual manner that someone above said. And just say this:

"Oh, I forgot to let you count the cards, that is only fair... Ten cards? Ok. Lets just put them back in the box... OR, you know what, just put them in your back pocket." As if you taught of that right there, on the spot, to juice the things up...

D

Deleted member 2755

The bonus and kicker is that they do all the magic. The reason for the cards to go in the box is just a simple change in direction.

Have to agree with Randy. I don't really remember the exact handling from the explanation. I have to look at it again. It is amazing though because you are literally putting money in their pocket. Make a joke at the beginning. Do a magical gesture or something and say "Now take the money out of your pocket." There is nothing there. Then you can pull out a DG comment and say something like "I do magic, not miracles." Then by the end of the effect when they pull out that money.... It only hits harder. I have to look at the presentation and explanation again. Its one of my favorite effects from True Astonishments. Its awesome.

-Doug

Sep 1, 2007
Putting the cards in the box is completely motivated. Now it certainly doesnt work for all performers, it needs a certain air of casualness. All you have to do it put them in then realize you forgot to let them count them.

Granted, the holding position is more awkward, but you validate this with presentation as well.

The downsides to it are completely presentational, if you can justify with presentation, you're set.

The kicker ending is killer. It floored me watching it, as well as the people I perform it for. I think this ones killer. Just take the time and work out a presentation that works for you and you're set.

Thanks, some good points there.

Yes, I think most of the downsides I stated could all be fixed with correct presentation. But I would still much rather have them count the cards more casually, without that awkward position.

And I agree, the kicker is amazing, although I've never performed the new version.

By the way, what about the part where the spectators count the thirteen cards out at the end? I might have observed incorrectly but one of the spectators Bro performed for seem to find pulling out the cards one at a time pretty annoying.

I would love to see more input from other people.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Thanks, some good points there.

Yes, I think most of the downsides I stated could all be fixed with correct presentation. But I would still much rather have them count the cards more casually, without that awkward position.

And I agree, the kicker is amazing, although I've never performed the new version.

By the way, what about the part where the spectators count the thirteen cards out at the end? I might have observed incorrectly but one of the spectators Bro performed for seem to find pulling out the cards one at a time pretty annoying.

I would love to see more input from other people.

Well you'll get that with anybody, I can imagine people being annoyed at first with Dunns Deal but then they'll be like WHAT! when they see everything in order.

Sep 1, 2007
Well you'll get that with anybody, I can imagine people being annoyed at first with Dunns Deal but then they'll be like WHAT! when they see everything in order.

Yeah, but it's weird to tell them to pull the cards out one at a time when they can in fact just grab it all out at once.

D

Deleted member 2755

Hey guys. Over the last few days I've been doing a lot of LVL$.:p Its really all about presentation. Its really easy. The only thing you have to really focus on is presentation. It does seem unnatural to put the cards in the box or to have them count cards in a weird way, and in my opinion the motivation for all these things is a little weird. (Well putting the cards in the box is no problem for justification. Its the strange counting.) After the effect is over, they won't remember all this weird stuff. However, I do think it is important that thoughout the routine you make everything as justified as possible so they don't think something funky is going on.

So as stated earlier, with the box you can act as though you forgot to let them count the cards (which is in Bro's presentation anyway) and then you can act as though you thought of something cool on the spot. As for the strange counting method, my presentation is a nice way of justifying the strange count. I just say that I am showing them something called the Las Vegas Jumper (I don't use the real name for obvious reasons) and since the whole effect deals with Vegas, counting cards "like they do in Vegas" won't seem as unnatural to them.

So in the start of the effect, I tell them to reach in their back pocket and pull out a dollar (obviously with better presentation than I'm typing here). I then play it off like a joke as normal and get into the subject of Vegas. I talk of how people often cheat, pickpocket, and do strange things to make fake things seem real. So I take out my deck and put the 10 cards in the card box. I then proceed to say how I'm going to show them something interesting and then "Oops". So I take the cards out and I show them how they count cards in Vegas. That's when I tell them to put the cards in their back pocket.

The rest is done as normal. :)

-Doug

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Doug, did you encounter a situation when they put the cards in their pocket "the wrong way"? Edited by Sinful for slight exposure. I'll post a response answering your question though.
And did anybody, when they took all 13 cards form their pocket, put the hand back in immediately to see if there is something left?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2755

can anyone show me where i might find a video of this trick.
-thanks
-jake

I don't think you will. :) That's kind of the point of True Astonishments. I think that Paul, Bro, and everyone else involved with the project wanted everyone to discover everything in TA as they watched it. :D Its a great trick. Everything on TA is a great trick.

-Doug

D

Deleted member 2755

Doug, did you encounter a situation when they put the cards in their pocket "the wrong way"? Edited by Sinful for slight exposure. I'll post a response answering your question though.
And did anybody, when they took all 13 cards form their pocket, put the hand back in immediately to see if there is something left?

Yes I have. It ended the same way that Paul said it would in the phoote note. Thankfully it was a performance for my mom.:p Ha. Anyway, she was a bit confused with my instructions and I was actually a bit nervous when that happened. I wasn't sure how it would end up. So I proceeded with the trick as normal until she discovered the bill. It actually went well. She remembered in the beginning I told her to imagine me folding a bill and throwing it into her pocket. She noticed the bill and said "I just found a bill." She smiled and thought it was cool that I made her end with 13 cards and the bill. Would it had been better if everything went as planned? Yup. However, if things go wrong, you still managed to make the cards to to their pocket and the imaginary bill go there as well.

As for the second part of your question, no I have not yet had anyone reach back after the cards were dealt because I'm very quick with my actions to misdirect. As they are bringing out the last card, I'm continuing with my patter. I let the astonishment sink in and I say that the same principle of the Las Vegas Jumper can be used with other objects as well such as money. That's when I bring out the money. Again, if they reach back there... the astonishment will still be there, but it just won't be as strong. So if you mess up... they still see it as a cool trick. :)

-Doug

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results