In-the-hand Riffle Shuffle advice

I'm on the Road to Royal card magic, and I'm stuck with the in-the-air riffle shuffle.
Somehow I can't get the two packet to be shuffled nice and smooth.
I write this because I've been trying for two weeks and I can't figure out how to get my thumb to release the cards "one by one".

I'm seeking tips and advice here, as I know if I keep practicing again and again it might eventually come.

But those who took that road before may have had that "sparkle" that helped them figuring this out.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 3, 2007
germany
You could try positioning your thumbs on the corners rather than on the side. The most is just practice though, it'll become smooth over time.

(when I say corners I mean the corners that are furthest from your body)

Mar 21, 2009
my advice

u need to hold your finger stronger so they could support the two deaks
in ther place.........

Well now that you've fixed the grip, the only thing to do now is practice :D

Yep!! I try with differents kind of decks : used, brand new, really old, bridge and poker sized etc, to get the feeling and help me be flawless with any decks that can be handed to me.

Also I'm practicing the bottom and top stock, bottom and top card controls, while practicing the shuffle in itself. It's a litlle harder because I need to look like i'm not thinking about it, but it's coming.

And I love the feeling when I end with the "waterfall". The sound and feeling in the hands is just awesome.

I love it when after a while practicing it's finally coming, and I realize : how come i wasn't able to do that in the first place? :p

May 24, 2008
Yep!! I try with differents kind of decks : used, brand new, really old, bridge and poker sized etc, to get the feeling and help me be flawless with any decks that can be handed to me.

Also I'm practicing the bottom and top stock, bottom and top card controls, while practicing the shuffle in itself. It's a litlle harder because I need to look like i'm not thinking about it, but it's coming.

And I love the feeling when I end with the "waterfall". The sound and feeling in the hands is just awesome.

I love it when after a while practicing it's finally coming, and I realize : how come i wasn't able to do that in the first place? :p

Thats the great feeling once you've accomplished something :). Keep at it, seems like you are doing everything correctly to be on the road to becoming a great magician.

Wait until you try learning a false in the hands riffle shuffle. :D hahaha

Something about seeing someone work hard at moves from a classic text in magic gives me a good feeling.

Great work bro. PM, IM, or e-mail me if you ever need any help.

C

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
haha yea,

Yea... my initials are C B... I was unaware when I made the SN that it looked like a popular internet emoticon.. hehe

C

That's just a normal homeschool error... Haha ;)

n3o, something that might help:

Try holding the two packets in a "deeper" grip - use more of your middle (second) and third (ring) fingers to support the cards... i.e., instead of just using the fingertips, try using more of the actual fingers. Do you get that? Almost in a one-handed fan grip... sort of. Oh dear, I probably just went and confused you.

Last edited by a moderator:
n3o, something that might help:

Try holding the two packets in a "deeper" grip - use more of your middle (second) and third (ring) fingers to support the cards... i.e., instead of just using the fingertips, try using more of the actual fingers. Do you get that? Almost in a one-handed fan grip... sort of. Oh dear, I probably just went and confused you.

You confused me a little... Maybe you can PM a picture showing what you mean? When I tried to figure out what with a deck of cards in my hands I confess I got lost ;)

For now my fingers are sort of "bent" behind, indeed applying pressure only with the fingertips, so to follow your advice I tried to "strech" them up! But it doens't feel as natural... mmm

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results