Things that you say if you screw up a Trick

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Hi everyone!! Are you ready for some super moves?!!

hahaha just kidding, I was wondering what say you when you mess up a trick, no matter what trick, cards, mentalism,close up, stage, etc...

I remember a time, when I did a Triumph Routine, everything when fine, but when I got to the part of the secret move, for some reason all the cards reverse... but also the chossen card, so when I spread the deck and everybody saw that all the cards rearange themselves, they were shocked, but when somebody ask me "nice!.. but where is my card?" and I said "well, this trick was so good that every card rearange so also your card rearange" and he said "even my card?" and I was like "even your card!!"

even at this moment I can´t figure out what happen

other time was

This is your card? and he said "No" and I said "Exactly As I Planned!!

so I wanna hear yours!!!

Peace Out!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
May 3, 2008
oops

Or in the words of the masked magician: "You've done something VERY special"

I usually just find a way to pull the trick around or just pull out an invisible deck or something.

Nov 24, 2007
Hermosillo Sonora
yesterday they saw that the card that i placed in their hands wasnt the one i have show them a moment ago so i go like: damn, sometimes they change color accidentaly, let me show you. I made the m pick another card, place it on the middle and did shapeshifter telling them: "its just that if you shake the card to hard it changes". I was totally impressed of the impromtunes of what i said and so fluidly xD.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I usually dont have lines for if I mess up. I usually diverse the mistake so it looks like part of it.

When I reveal a card, i just name it. if it is a wrong, I do the amazing Jonathan move
"4 of hearts!"
"no..."
"no what? its not the 4 of hearts?"
"it is..."
"yea.. i din say it was your card. go f*** yourself!" HAH

But yea... I usually dont mess up anymore.

Oct 22, 2008
yah so in impromptu card tricks if i just happen to somehow mess up every once in a blue moon I would say, "Well ok, what was your card?" They would say 7 hearts, w.e and than i would go in the deck face up towards my face so they can't see as i spread and locate there card in the middle. I than cut it to the top and double lift, etc, and say "oh so u said the 2 of spades right??" They'll say no and ill than just simply do an ego or erdnase w/e to change it to their card. After that go into one of your more suspensful or more amazing tricks to bring back your momentum a little.

-Jake

If you do mess up, oh well. I've done it before, and will do it again. It's a game of numbers...the more you perform, the more chances you have to mess up. But, never end your show on a mess-up. ALWAYS, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS end on a high note!! If you mess up, move onto something stronger and surefire. I've learned this the hard way, and it ain't fun.

Just something to ponder.... ;)
Steve

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
or you can practise to the point where you won't mess up. Saves you from remembering different excuses for different tricks.

Upss! sorry Mr. perfect I wasn´t aware that you were here and that you haven´t messed up in your whole life!!

seriously, this thread is about fun, not to make excuses for failure, I´m just saying that when you mess up (everybody of us failed a trick sometime)what did you say! and nobody here have to remember excuses, you just say what comes to your mind

please just have fun, this is not an excuse for failure

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
Practice 'till you don't screw up.

Actually, even though it's rare, something is bound to happen to mess the trick up.

I'll give an example, I was doing a triumph that I use all the time. I guess I made a mistake somewhere, I noticed the cards weren't like they were supposed to be, no way to save the trick. So I just said "I'll be honest, sometimes things don't work out perfectly for the magician. When they don't he gets hurt on the inside." then I looked really sad and dejected, they got the idea, laughed and I moved on to another trick.

I'll try to save a performance from failure if I notice something is wrong, if I can't though I'll tell my audience I made a mistake.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Hey!! I was looking the replies and I realized that some people thing that I was asking what to say in case of failure... that´s not the point I was wondering what you guys say when you mess up by accident, what did you say? did you try to be funny or just admit that you mess up? etc... it´s for fun actually, not to have a repertoire of excuses for each trick, so have fun!

Once I was doing a ambitious card routine which I always perform, however, this one time performing, their card did not jump to the top... However, I was stuck in a hard situation because it was near the end!

So I looked at them confused saying "Oh dear god, it hasn't jumped to the top?" - While I was looking for their card in the deck, I found it and stole it and put on the top of the deck while saying "It really isn't in this deck any more", as I passed them the cards I just spreaded I steal their card and place in my pocket right away.

And just revealed it in my pocket - I love this move now! I do it to cover the majority of my card effects.

Jul 12, 2008
Kendal
I will usually try to recover it somehow, but if I tihnk it's beyond saving I'll just admit I've messed up and laugh at myself with the spectators. People tend to be surprisingly accepting of it when you screw up, but I will usually go on to do another trick "to make up for it", so that my performance doesn't end on a bad note etc.
I remember once doing hand to mouth, I accidentally got a triple lift at one point instead of a double. This means that I ended up with their card on top and... er... the ace of spades in my mouth. This may have been OK, but I didn't realise for a moment or two and it also takes away from the fact that it has jumped to your mouth. I realised my mistake and put the ace of spades on top saying something like "Well everyone seems to like the ace of spades don't they?" Then did a shape shifter. They all laughed and called me a cheat. That was a good day. It was a thursday.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results