How To Get Gigs and Keep Clients: Part 1

Marketing Tools:

Introduction: I wanted to write a series of essays on a subject I know well. How to Get Gigs and Keep Clients: An essential guide to finding work as a Magician, Making New Clients, and Keeping the Ones you Have! This is an educational article that will be assembled through the course of a few posts over an undecided length of time. In these articles I will discuss many important issues on finding work, getting work, getting paid for it, and making sure they book you again. When I drew up the outline for all of my essays I realized quickly that the most basic part of getting a job performing magic lays with marketing yourself as a magician. In order to do that well, you need to have some very important tools. In my research for creating this first and very important chapter I spoke to great lengths with Las Vegas mentalist and well known entertainer Paul Draper. Mr. Draper’s words and advice were so powerful that this section could not have been completed, or even made possible with out him. Thanks Paul for your sagely advice and input. With that being said this first section is about the tools you will use throughout your career as a working magician. This is advanced stuff. If you only want to learn card tricks to impress your friends or family then this article is not for you. This article is intended to reach out to those who seriously want to focus on making money as a magician but maybe not know too well how to start.

Now days it seems like being a working magician just means being a Jack-of-all-trades. Sure you have to be skilled at slight of hand and mouth, but if your marketing skills aren’t up to par then you’ll never get the chance to show off just how good you are! Don’t worry I’m here to help! Getting booked for a gig is almost a full time job in itself, and just like any job, to be done right you’ll need the right tools. What kind of tools you ask? I’m talking about your business cards, promo headshots, a 5 minute audition, a flyer about yourself, and or if all else fails combine all that with a little bit extra into a promotional kit. Lets talk a little about each one. With that being said, lets press on!

Business Cards are essential to any working professional. They are like a Master Card: Never leave home without it. Business cards are an essential tool to gathering information. They need to be neat, clean, on good stock, and carry just enough information without over doing it. Before we look at what should be on a business card let’s look at what shouldn’t be - Your address. No one cares. Your business card should have your Name (or stage name), Phone Number, Email, and Website Address. You shouldn’t really put the city you live in on the card unless you really want to sell the fact that you’re from somewhere special, other wise don’t list your city.
Example: Magician X
555-1212
Famous in Las Vegas

I highly recommend spending the extra money to get a colour print card with the UV treatment on the front side. Keep the back side of your card blank. Make sure you get a thick and strong card stock. I’ve found on too many occasions I’ve had to use the back of the business card for something, and having room to write on has been a life saver. I’ve gotten gigs before by using “Out To Lunch” methods with my business cards. I also recommend putting an image on the front of your card. Weather this be a picture of you, a caricature, or something. 90% of all business cards your client will probably see will just be text and probably a logo. By putting an image on the card you increase the chances of them remembering you three weeks later.

Don’t ever expect someone to call you back based solely on your business card. They won’t. (Yes, I know there is always the exception to the rule.) What you use your business card for is to gather information on the potential clients you want to work with. NEVER give your card out to someone with out getting theirs back in return. If they don’t have one, get their name, direct phone number, and email address. Put it on the back side of one of your cards (Now you see why I like them blank) and give them another clean one to keep. When asked for your contact information never hand write it on a card or anything else for that matter. Not only does this not look professional but it says a lot about you as a business person, and what it says isn’t good. It says “I’m either too lazy or unprepared to do business with you properly.” Now if you are working on impressing friends, local mom & pop business owners, or small family owned restaurants where the interaction between two people is a little more important than being overly professional you may be able to relax a bit on that last statement, but if you plan to work in corporate America, and you try that, sure they’ll take your information scribbled on the back of a napkin, but I’ll bet a dime they won’t ever call you back.

Have you ever walked through a mall and get one of those annoying cell phone guys trying to pitch you on switching to their service or brand? Know how annoyed you felt when they interrupted your busy life just to hand you some pamphlet on their service? Ever ask them for their business card JUST to shut them up? In business that’s called a Blow Off. In marketing courses you are taught that the business card blow off is one of the most frequently used. If the potential client doesn’t want to listen to your pitch, or hear about how amazing your act is they just ask you for your card, walk away, and file it in the round trash bin later on. So what do you do to make sure that the potential client of yours not only keeps your card, but also uses it? My good friend Aye Jaye has the answer! You can try this trick yourself and you’ll be amazed at how well it works.

First off you’ll need a little set up. Punch a hole in the corner of your business card. Have the printer print in tiny letters next to the hole: “I’ll bet you that you can’t push a quarter through this hole.” When you give your card out to your potential client (AFTER you get one of theirs first.) You draw their attention to that hole, and the text. You bet them the quarter that they can’t push it through the card. If they don’t have one no worries, you’re more than willing to supply it. Naturally they can’t do it, and yes, you alone know the secret. You take out a pen, uncap it, and stick it through the hole. You now scoot the quarter along the desk or table top with the tip of the pen while it is pushed through the hole! You have just pushed the quarter through the hole in the card! They laugh, you laugh, and everyone feels good. Not only that but now they have a cute trick to try on the rest of their friends at the office. Is it cheesy? Yes. But I’m willing to bet the last guy wasn’t nearly so clever. If all else fails, use an “Out To Lunch” gaff and do some magic for them using one of your cards! I’ve also seen a wallet that dispenses burning business cards, but that may not be appropriate in all settings. “Hi Mr. Fire Marshall! Here’s my card!” Yeah. Bad idea.

Promotional Headshots are an unfortunate must when you are trying to work with the industry these days. Really, they do serve a purpose. Without going into the acting side of the fence lets look at why they work for you. Simply, it gives the potential client a face to hang all the rest of the marketing material you’ve given them on. It helps cement into their minds who you are, the look you have, and connects them to your material you’ve presented. Above all the headshot should say with out words: “I’m easy to work with.” Unless you plan to work for TV or Movies, you don’t need high end glossy, but the picture should be in colour, and it should be of your face no lower than your neck. When you are working for Print or TV a lot of the times the casting people don’t even look at anything else BUT your headshot. They just get a stack of them on their desk and they flip through them. Within 2 seconds of looking at it they decide if they want to work with you or not. The headshot either goes into a pile or the trash bin. Guess which one gets the call back? You can print your resume on the back of your headshot if you like. Some people just staple them to the backs. This might be a bit extreme for most of you out there, but what you should take home from that is: When your client looks at your face in that photo they should say to themselves “Yes, I want to see this person each and every single day I get to work with them.”

When you meet people face to face I’ve found that it really helps to have what I call a “5 Minute Audition” in your back pocket. Basically, you should be able to perform 5 minutes of magic at anytime anywhere should you be prospecting for gigs. It helps give your potential client a chance to see you in action and sample your magic. Everyone has seen the bad hack acts on YouTube or maybe their uncle always did that horrible coin trick every Christmas. This is your chance to prove that you’re not like them! I’ve opened the doors to many opportunities with this little trick that I don’t think I would have gotten other wise.

(To Be Continued)

Last edited by a moderator:
(Continued from Prior Post)

True Story: I got cast as an extra on the production of “Charlie Wilson’s War” staring Tom Hanks. My screen time (if you can call it that) was about 1.3 seconds long. The shot was of my back as I was turned away from the camera, WAY in the back of the frame walking out of it. In all honesty, after seeing the movie in the theater and watching my friends from that scene, I would have been so out of focus you wouldn’t have known it was me. As the take was being reset, I was standing off stage fanning my cards and performing my Sibyls. Some tall guy in a suit walks up to me and just watches me for a minute before breaking my silence with “What are you some kind of a Wizard or something?” I kid you not when I tell you I almost dropped my cards when I looked up and saw Tom Hanks standing there. I answered yes, to which he responded very quickly: “Show me something then.” I performed a very fast ambitious card and concluded it to his thundering applause. He returned for the next two scene breaks too see more magic. The next day, the ADs’ were sent looking for “the magician.” Not only did Tom remember me by first name, BUT he also got me a special scene with him and Ned Beatty. Actual camera time in my first large budget motion picture! It’s a shame that my scene got cut from the final product, but Tom still knows my name. I haven’t seen the DVD deleted scenes yet, but if you see some guy get an egg sandwich planted into his hand- that’s me. I wouldn’t have got that opportunity had I not had my 5 minute audition on me, and that’s the important thing to remember with this story.

The next thing you want to carry with you is a promotional flyer that talks about who you are and what you do. It should have a brief bio of who you are, and contain no other contact information other than your name. Your business cards have your contact information on them for that purpose. This rule goes double for all pieces of marketing material you end up with, be it these bare boned essentials outlined here or in an actual promotional kit. (Which I’ll discuss later.) Your description should be an active one as if they are actually watching your show. You’ll see me pull a coin from my ear, then eat a rabbit out of my hat, after words I’ll finish by levitating a ring freely selected from an audience member etc. Bio should start with your most recent work and go back from there. Do not say “I started performing magic when I was 8 years old. I saw my uncle do it and it got me started.” This is a sign of a newbie and producers, especially those Hollywood kind, will know your green a mile out. Ever wonder why the other guy got a call back and you didn’t? That could be a leading reason. Your promotional flyer can take many forms. 8.5 x 11, post card, tri-fold pamphlet, etc. They all have their purposes and advantages. The 8.5 x 11 can be printed from home, or from any printer if you have a portable jump drive. It’s quick, and the easiest to do. The postcard looks great, and can be mailed if need be. The Tri-folds scream professional, lets you put multiple important documents (Such as Bio, Description, Testimonials, etc) into one easy to read article yet they can be costly to make and fold. You should consider carefully what would be the best option for you to use before you have your flyers printed. As a final note I would say don’t put too much into your bio and description. Most people won’t read past the first few sentences anyways, so make them count!

Everything I’ve listed above should be the bare bone basics of any working magicians promotional arsenal. If you want to get booked for gigs, and re-booked to return to venues you’ve already entertained for, then you need to have at least that at your disposal. However, that isn’t the end of the line when it comes to promotional material. There is one more important thing you should consider, and that is a Promotional Kit, also known as a Promo Kit. A Promo Kit contains everything above plus a few extra things. Lets take a look at those now. A Promo Kit has: A Headshot, A Bio (On a sheet to itself), A sheet that describes your show, A sheet of testimonials, News Paper Articals, Three Card Brochure, Post Card, or other marketing material, DVD of information, Business Card for yourself, a manager or reps card (if you have one.) and Price Sheet. Since I’ve already talked about a lot of those already I’ll just focus real quick on the items I haven’t touched on yet.

Price Sheet should detail and outline how much you charge for your different shows, durations, etc. A brief description of what kind of show it is should follow each headline, and of course your fee. Expect that most of the time this will be taken out by clients.

Your entire Promo Kit should use only two or three fonts. You should have a Headline font, a Standard Text font, and maybe a font for Quotes.

Throughout your entire Promo Kit you should only use at the most three colours. Black counts as a colour, white does not. Jeff McBride’s colours are Red White and Blue. All items in you Promo Kit, from your business cards to your price sheet should use the same fonts and the same colour patterns.

Keep the testimonial quotes short and to the point. All quotes should be activity. “…Was Spell Binding!” or “This Guy Scares Me!”. List shorter quotes first and then in order of importance. IE: Dignitaries and Celebrities first, CEO’s and Business Leaders second, media third, etc.

Your DVD should be no longer than three minutes. The first two minutes are for them, the last minute is for you. I’ll explain. The first minute should be speed reels showing what you do. The second minute is an actual trick. Start to finish with real run time. Interact with people and build the trick to get the applause. Third minute is to put in what ever else you want. DVD should be a full size DVD no mini disks. DVD’s should be formatted to run by itself as if stuck in a DVD player. Not a .avi file burned to disk. I personally would go the extra mile and print a custom CD label and stick it to the disk. When attaching the CD to the Promo Kit folder, I would recommend using a sticky sleeve that you can attach to the inside folder cover instead of a jewel case. Jewel cases can break and they add an extra un-tidy bulk to the Promo Kit.

You should use a nice opaque neutral colour folder for your Promo Kit. Don’t use the cheap see through plastic kind. When closed, your Promo Kit should lay as flat as possible. If you are planning on working in the Corporate America sector, expect your clients to get a lot of Promo Kits so you’ll want it to sit neatly on the potential clients desk. Chances are if it’s bulky and puffs up they’ll just throw it out. That’s wasting a good Promo Kit! The cover of the Promo Kit should have a printed sticker that matches all the stuff inside. Theme and feel. Logo and name on the front. Also I would carry a USB Jump drive with me that has a digital copy of your Promo Kit on it. That way you can give your client the option of physical copy or digital. A lot of people now days are moving to the digital route. Your digital Promo Kit should be in PDF or .Doc format. Lastly, hand out less Promo Kits than you print.

So there you have it folks. An in-depth look into the marketing tools of the trade. These items are worth more than anything in your magical library or working act, because with out them, you won’t get the chance to perform your act! If you remember to give as good as a presentation of why someone should book you as you do after they do, then you’ll be soon on your way to working many an enjoyable gig. I would also like to take a moment to thank you the reader for taking the time to read this horribly long message. If you love magic and are considering making it more of a living, or if you are just interested in making some money doing what you love, then you should seriously consider spending as much money (if not more) on your marketing material as you do on your magic tricks, books, and DVDs. It really is worth it in the long run.

http://http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=17121 Here is a link to Chapter 2 Selecting a Venue

If you’ve found this information to be beneficial to you then I encourage feed back. I will be anxiously watching this thread to determine weather or not I should even go ahead and write the other eleven chapters I have planned.

Thank you.

Draven.

b+w

Dec 10, 2008
York, United Kingdom
Thanks for this advice, and it's nice to see people giving business on the business side of magic from time to time, not always advice on practicing a sleight. I have no doubt that your invaluble advice will improve my, and a lot of other magicians magic in the present and future. I look forward to your next pieces of advice, which I hope will be put on soon. Thanks again.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Very good article. This essay screams 'experience' unlike some texts that consist of theories; you can tell these are things you learned the hard way on your way to being a professional.

I'm going to read part 2 now, as I saw part of it posted. Had you posted this section and then said the rest of the essays would be available in PDF format, I would have gone and bought it.

-Rik

Jul 12, 2008
Kendal
Very good article. This essay screams 'experience' unlike some texts that consist of theories; you can tell these are things you learned the hard way on your way to being a professional.

I'm going to read part 2 now, as I saw part of it posted. Had you posted this section and then said the rest of the essays would be available in PDF format, I would have gone and bought it.

-Rik
I'll second that. Brilliant. Thanks William. Helped me a lot as I am only just starting on the road to becoming a full-time magician (rather than a part time one). Thankyou so much. In your position I would do as foolzsight suggested, but I will beseach you not to. If that is only one chapter then I can't begin to imagine what light will be shone on other important aspects of The Art.

Once I've written all 11 chapters I'll be more than glad to compile them into a single PDF format. I don't know how I would distribute them though. But I'll figure something out.

Thanks for the input! I'm glad to know you guys like this information!

Sep 1, 2007
Once I've written all 11 chapters I'll be more than glad to compile them into a single PDF format. I don't know how I would distribute them though. But I'll figure something out.

Thanks for the input! I'm glad to know you guys like this information!

You could always add some bonus material and photos to the PDF and sell it on Lybrary.com for about 20 bucks a pop.

Thanks for the tip Wordsmith. I've edited all posts to include links to the next post.

I think I will make a comercial version of all the posts in a single pdf document available to the open market once I've completed the project

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Draven,
I recall reading every one of your "How to..." threads and they are excellent for beginners and experienced magicians looking to get some great pointers. If I were you I would definitely compile them as a PDF and make them available for a fee.
A wealth of knowledge and experience. It could be downloaded from your website or print and bind them into a plastic spiral / lecture note style binder. Just my two cents.

Draven,
I recall reading every one of your "How to..." threads and they are excellent for beginners and experienced magicians looking to get some great pointers. If I were you I would definitely compile them as a PDF and make them available for a fee.
A wealth of knowledge and experience. It could be downloaded from your website or print and bind them into a plastic spiral / lecture note style binder. Just my two cents.

And a good suggestion at that. I was in the process of doing that when my last computer crashed. I lost EVERYTHING. So I'm picking the pieces back up as we speak with an end goal to publish a PDF.

Canadamagic: Your in luck! Just forum search it. This is actually a old thread. I've already posted all 8 chapters some time ago. It's lengthy though, so make sure you've got a few minutes to read through it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results