Street Magic - University

I never perform street magic, however, I want to gain some more practice and have a play around with a few of my effects with an audience. I feel that I am not ready to use these effects I perform for money.

So I was thinking if I should wonder the streets of my university, and also around the city too. - Any recommendations? Will I need permission? Anything I need to look out for when performing in the streets?

I will be doing it after Easter when the weather is nice and warm.

When I have been doing it for a few days, I was hoping to get my photography and cinematic team involved once I have perfected it all.

Throw in your suggestions! :)

May 19, 2008
manchester
maybe have a card round your neck that says "magic" or "can you beat the magician? £5 if you can"! kind of thing.

like chad nelson in the trailer for surfaced.

also maybe where an eccentric outift (if thats your style).

Watch some of Gazzos performances on youtube, or buy his DVD Cups and Balls, it has his performance on there, you can learn alot!
Also pick up his book
"The Art Of Krowd Kepping"
It teaches you how to build a perfect street show, how to draw in people, how to have back-up plans, ect. You will also need "Read between the lines" Those will get you started, if you just read them, there awesome books!
I street perform mostly! At parks, and stuff, if you will be asking for money, you will need your busking license! Thats important, alot of people dont think to get one, but its really easy, you just go to your local court house, (Or were ever you will be performing) And ask for you, you will have to fill out a paper, and get your picture taken (Depending on were you live).
But always give them a reason to pay you, if you give them a bad short show, its only a reason to walk away, but if you make friends with everyone, and put a smile on everyones face, and make 20-30 mins fell like 10 they will pay you!
Good luck!
If you need any help with your street performance, just send me a PM, this is what I do.
(OH KEEP DIARY!!!)
Things to watch out for
-Dogs
-Hecklers
-Drunk people
-kids (They can upstage you)
-Cops (Alot of times they see cards, and think of gambling, avoid this, with a sign that relates to magic)
Agian, if you have any questions PM me!

Aug 21, 2008
i perform uptown on the streets with a small table and a close up pad, with a deck of cards and coins and a tip cup/tin. you have to look nice tho or they will think you are a con artist. i where a nice suit. start shooting cards up in the air and catching them grabs ppl's attention or anything else you can do visually.
set up near a busy restaurant. but allways ask the manager inside if you can perform for his customers while they wait to be seated.
this allways works for me, it makes me real good money on the weekends and especially friday night.
hope this helps

-Danny

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Meh,

When I was at University I would meet a lot of new people every day (my goal was to introduce myself to two new people every day - easier than it sounds)
Then i would sit with new friends at a table in a common area and bring out the cards. When asked, why I have cards, I said I was a magician and they always ask to see something. So their friends come by and they say 'check this out!' etc.

But remember to stick to the guide line of only showing 1-3 tricks at a time.

j

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
I havent been to Uni but i know that finding a sensible group of people to perform for isnt a hard thing, as opposed to randomly going out onto the streets hoping to hit the jackpot. So within Uni grounds, establishing your presence should be ease.

If you have not tried doing this street performing thing then, do it for the experience, and not the money. Go for it man, seek the streets. Have authority and perform your mystique.

The common misconception about street magic is that it is hard :D I did it all the time a year or 2 ago, if you're friendly and have a smile on your face, nobody will decline the offer. It's not like you're asking for money. The good thing about street magic is that everyone wins, you get good practice and they get a good time. It's like kissing girls, they'll only decline if they actually have a dislike for you. True story, try it out, thank me later.

Mar 21, 2009
i think u need to go somewere that pepole dont
know u (but not too far).
that way u dont give a **** about fear shyness and stuff
u can be yourself and u can make a joke about yourself
without worry that pepole will make fun of u tomorrow.
that is my opinion.....

Steven i'm not gonna lie, in england its easier to get people's attention, you want to start out small, always look for a crew of women, u have two reasons, for one, they are women, and magic sometimes goes over well with them, most find magic to be attractive in men, especially if you handle it like a pro and not a nervous puppy...besides they give the best reactions because most women are not into magic and a simple color change is sweet to them...but let me just give you whom to go to and why:

women, crew or single, you get great reactions,

athletes, they hang in crews and you get great reactions,

office people, they are so hung up on school and paperwork a good magic trick is like heaven to them, just don't bother the busy ones, you will get turned off badly, trust me.....

if you have student unions, thats the best place to do your magic,

i would not prefer a college cafeteria, they are hungry when they are sitting down, but try the outside of the cafeteria, u know the ones that are standing around not going or coming...

parking lots is also a good place to perform.....

do not go to the chapels, unless you want them to think you are Satan himself,

the weight room, the tracks, the campus police, the convicts that picks up paper there....

science teachers, the Pressure effect will go over well with them,

i hope this helps if you have any questions, hit me up at :

taylomade25@yahoo.com

or

www.myspace.com/taylormade85

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results