absolute beginner

Sep 30, 2007
Dublin,Ireland
Hi all.
Very new to magic and wondering what are the "need have" sleights
for begining card magic.Have "expert at the card table" and a card magic dvd.However I am finding the going slow.

Slán(bye)
Dero

Sep 1, 2007
I stongly recommend:

Greg Wilson's "Double Take DVD" - an excellent primer on Card Magic from a seasoned professional, very entertaining and very easy to learn from. The DVD focusses on the double lift technique, contains a number of excellent effects using the technique (including some classics of magic, quick tricks and some colour changes) and also a number of other essential sleights such as card controls, the famous Elmsley count and some other things along the way.

Card College series of books by Roberto Giobbi. Comprehensive text on just about every basic technique in card magic.

Expert at the Card Table is a VERY difficult text - I think its a bit like Lord of the Rings...not necessarily that great but you look really good if you think it's good!

The Greg Wilson DVD is a great starting point...I would know, because that's where I started!

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
Well, first of all...Welcome to Theory11!

If you are thinking about learning card magic may I recommend both Crash Course 1 & 2 from Ellusionist.com. I have both of them, and I'll be honest...I do not regret buying them.

The going will normally go slow at first. It will take some time before you start getting smoother with your sleights. Just take your time and don't rush it. You are only going to cheat yourself if you try to go too fast.

I hope this helps!

Shane K.

If you learn easily from DVDs, I would recommend Ellusionist's Crash Course 1. It teaches you a lot of the basics of card magic and then great, easy tricks that you can do with those moves you learned (and they're good tricks too. After 1 year of magic, I still use the tricks taught here almost every time I perform). And Brad Christian (the guy who teaches you in the video) is a great teacher - he is very easy to understand and he goes over things multiple times and he does not rush the explanations like some other DVDs do - he goes at a speed that is perfect for beginners.

It is what got me into card magic and I highly recommend it.

Hope that helped!

Ryan

Sep 1, 2007
I agree with the posts above. I would also recommend getting some packet tricks from a local magic shop. Some people disagree with this, but honestly I learned several sleights from the packet tricks, they are usually simple and people usually enjoy seeing them. They are also very portable. Other than that, crash one is very good, and the books mentioned above are very good.

Aug 31, 2007
I still don't agree with Ellusionist DVDs being helpful for beginners. Don't know, maybe I am biased. To each his own.

Watch the "for beginners" clip on Theory 11, follow their advice. The Bucks said something about going to your library for books.

- harapan. magic!

Sep 2, 2007
You should check out this video, http://www.theory11.com/beginners.php, as it's filled with great advice. An advice that is given is to go to the library, and just pick up and read as many books on magic as you can find -- instead of paying a great sum of money on simple DVD training that can be found in magic books.

Cheers,
JTM

Gin

Oct 5, 2007
Europe
For a serious study of card magic there is no other way then reading and working with Giobbi's "Card College". Start with volume one and you will know more about card magic then many other "experts".

Gin

Oct 11, 2007
Alabama
one thing i would like to add is that if you are going to do card magic the best thing i found is that when you are sitting around at the house or if you rideing in a car( not driving) to had a pack of cards in your hand just sit around and play with the card. what your doing is getting use to have a pack of card in your hand and after awhile its like they are a part of you and you do not even have to think about the next move you are going to do your body just know what to do. so just keep doind the trick over and over and over just sitting in front of the TV. see if that help

Sep 2, 2007
i would recommend buying some stuff from penguin magic, cheap stuff but qwuality products. Some stuff by luke Jermay and oz pearlman. anyway welcome and hope you enjoy it here at the theory

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results