Fear and the Modern Magician

Jan 1, 2009
Poway, CA
How many effects have you learned yet never performed? What were your reasons for not attempting it? For most it is the common phrase “it’s just not practical”. It seems most of the time that this is a clever cover up for “I am afraid of being caught/failure”. So which is it? Is the effect really impractical, or are you just afraid of failure? There is a time and place for every effect, it seems though the modern magician has gotten caught up in the hype of effects that claim to be easy almost self working tricks in which all the performer needs to do is just “be there”. Those are all good and fun, but why is it that when a complicated effect comes out hardly anyone even so much as attempts it? Let’s look at TrN a great effect that I bet hardly anyone on these forums (who have purchased it) have performed it. Because it is impractical right? Did you even attempt it? I have performed TrN and it went wonderfully well and for certain situations, yeah I wouldn’t perform it. It is not an Impractical effect; you just want real magic or real simple magic. Its either that or you are afraid of being caught that heaven forbid a human not be perfect. I don’t mean to come across as harsh and to those offended, I do honestly apologize I think it’s time though that, magicians took the time to master hard and complicated effects, things that do have a risk factor and stop using the excuse of impracticality.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I whole-heartedly agree with you.
I for one love doing risky or supposedly "impractical" effects.
Because it makes me work at having a great presentation and misdirection.
And too actually talk to my audience.Not talk AT them.

Mar 2, 2008
Yea i agree 100% but there are stuff that are not ideal for some situations because of angels.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
Yea i agree 100% but there are stuff that are not ideal for some situations because of angels.

....?

===

Every trick is performable. Some are better than others.

For example, TNR (not TrN, just FYI) - I will never perform Matthew Bich's TNR, simply because it does not leave the spectator with an examinable card, nor a souvenir. I use my own method for a torn and restored card effect because, simply put, it's much more practical and more "user-friendly", if you will.

Jan 1, 2009
Poway, CA
[/QUOTE]Every trick is performable. Some are better than others.

For example, TNR (not TrN, just FYI) - I will never perform Matthew Bich's TNR, simply because it does not leave the spectator with an examinable card, nor a souvenir. I use my own method for a torn and restored card effect because, simply put, it's much more practical and more "user-friendly", if you will.[/QUOTE]

Of course, given the performer and the situation a trick may not be fitting to the performer. And I'm not saying that everyone who owns "TNR" should go out and perform it now. Just simply to try new things even if they are uncomfortable

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I think this is a great thread and I totally agree because I am completely guilty of doing it myself. I think we get in this "groove" where we know what works, what we are good at, what gets the reactions, and then we don't want to attempt something new and hard because we may look a bit silly or inexperienced if we fail.

I felt this way about my ambitious card routine until I just made myself do it over and over for people, yes...getting caught some times...but it has now made its way into my routine and people love it. And I've even had some people say...I think I know how you are doing it but it looks awesome. They really don't care, they just want to be entertained.

I have worked on Garcia's Torn for a few months and have yet to perform it for an audience because I am afraid. The sad part is..it looks good to me in a mirror but I am just not sure yet.

Mar 2, 2008
Gecko, not a instant repeat unless, well i can't say it unless you have it, (PM if you have the gecko)

Also if your doing it in the right hand the left angel is exposed, same thing with the left, then the right is exposed.

So i never prefrom gecko in real life.

Not because its "to tough" Just becasue its not good in many situations.

Gecko, not a instant repeat unless, well i can't say it unless you have it, (PM if you have the gecko)

Also if your doing it in the right hand the left angel is exposed, same thing with the left, then the right is exposed.

So i never prefrom gecko in real life.

Not because its "to tough" Just becasue its not good in many situations.

I perform the gecko. Not because it's good, but because I'm forcing myself to not waste all that money on it without using it.

Jan 1, 2009
Poway, CA
I perform the gecko. Not because it's good, but because I'm forcing myself to not waste all that money on it without using it.

I think that is a good thing to do, I have a magic buddy who purchased gecko., and has yet to use it. But I think it is something that would work great in like a mall or a place where there are a lot of people and a lot going on at once. Maybe you've used it in similar situations

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results