Anything to share?

Everyone here has been doing magic for different times, yet everyone has picked up many varying pieces of information through their times in magic. My request here is that you pick the greatest thing you've ever learnt when it came to magic and share it with the rest of us here in order to broaden everyone's minds and open some eyes. So what's the best thing you've ever learnt? Was it some small tip from a DVD, or was it a striking piece of information from a great lecturer?
For me, it would be something I learnt from John Carney, 'Always have a motivation for every motion.' That is always the first thing I think of when I'm making an effect. So what about you? Anything to share?

Practice the trick in front of a mirror. Practice the performance in front of a camera. - Show the performance to other magicians... Ask for their opinions. Improve yourself.

If you want to promote yourself, talk to people. - Spread your entertainment around, ENTERTAIN, then be booked.

Sep 9, 2008
I have something to share

Everyone here has been doing magic for different times, yet everyone has picked up many varying pieces of information through their times in magic. My request here is that you pick the greatest thing you've ever learnt when it came to magic and share it with the rest of us here in order to broaden everyone's minds and open some eyes. So what's the best thing you've ever learnt? Was it some small tip from a DVD, or was it a striking piece of information from a great lecturer?
For me, it would be something I learnt from John Carney, 'Always have a motivation for every motion.' That is always the first thing I think of when I'm making an effect. So what about you? Anything to share?

The Word Is " LEARNED " LEARNT is not a word We are all above illiteracy so can we please Try to Spell check the word or something please thank you sorry if i make anyone mad with this it just bothers me

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
The Word Is " LEARNED " LEARNT is not a word We are all above illiteracy so can we please Try to Spell check the word or something please thank you sorry if i make anyone mad with this it just bothers me

What I think you meant to say was:
The word is 'LEARNED'. 'LEARNT' is not a word. We are all above shoddy grammar, so can we please try to grammar check (?) our work or something? Please? Thankyou. Sorry if I make anybody mad with this, it just bothers me.

Pfft, some people these days :p

Sorry, I can't actually think of the best piece of advice I know right now, I shall edit when I have one.

Mar 22, 2009
London, UK
Actually 'Learnt' is a word, although used incorrectly in this case.

In the (British) English language 'learnt' is the past tense of the verb to learn. e.g. I learnt my first ambitious card routine 5 years ago.
'Learned' is used in the imperfect tense. e.g. The best thing I have ever learned is to always analyse my magic from the point of view of the spectator. Many effects which are completely different from the magician's point of view accomplish the same thing in the eyes of a spectator. This means you can end up with a slightly repetitive routine if you're not careful.

Also I don't construct a routine as such, I prefer to have a list of 4-6 openers, 6-8 middle effects and 4-6 closers (most of which are done from a shuffled deck so no set up needed) then construct a routine of 3 or 4 effects that is most appropriate for the spectators I am performing to. It works well for me.

ps. learned is also used as an adjective.

I once learnt that learnt is the correct spelling, it just has to be used grammatically correctly. - Now let's keep this thread on topic, not all of us are English, and not all of us are fantastic spellers. We are human after-all.

I once learnt that learnt is the correct spelling, it just has to be used grammatically correctly. - Now let's keep this thread on topic, not all of us are English, and not all of us are fantastic spellers. We are human after-all.

Haha, I am actually Australian, and learnt is actually the correct word in this occasion when used with our small variation to the language. Anyway, I agree, this therad could not be more off topic :D

"Do it for the art, the art of misdirection, the art of illusion, the art of escape, the art of hypnosis. If you do it for the money, you will fail."- Me

"Just Do It" -Nike
Really, dont pause for a palm, just do it, and hand them the deck to shuffle

Avoid the hecklers, unless your name is Brian.

Sep 20, 2008

Irony. Bashing each other regarding how 'literate' we are in an online community.

Anywho Brad christian.

"Simple Hits Hard."

Then he went on to ruin it by teaching to reveal the pass during an ACR routine.

Apr 26, 2008
Be confident

Pretty much any audience can pick up on your mood. If you are confident and having fun they will have fun too. Also if you really believe that you are doing something amazing then they will too. It's a pretty basic theory but it has really done wonders for me.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Humility. If you approach your magic with a degree of humility, you will get better. Admit that you have a lot to learn and that your performance might need improvement. And be humble enough to take criticism regardless of it's delivery. Even poorly delivered criticism is founded on something that you can improve on. You can't control how people critique you, but you can control how you respond to it. Be humble, and strive to be better at what you do.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
"Just be yourself and have fun. If you can't do that, be me and be miserable." - Richard Sanders

"So you can do magic. Why should i care?" - Darwin Ortiz

"If you just try hard enough, and with a tiny bit of magic, AAAAALL your dreams can come true." - Spongebob Squarepants

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results