How and Why to Choose Fewer Effects to Perform

Mar 22, 2009
London, UK
Hi everyone, I wanted to share something with you that I found very useful in my magical development:

One of the most cited phrases in magic is that it’s better to perform a few tricks very well, rather than perform lots of tricks to an average standard. This is very true, but why? And the question remains: how do you choose those few tricks to perfect?

The first thing to consider is what are the benefits of perfecting a small number of tricks? The following list isn’t exhaustive, however I think they are the most important points:

• Confidence: You will be very confident when performing those effects, to all audiences in any situation
• Focus: Your repertoire will be focused at the goal you want to achieve
• Adaptability and flexibility: If you choose your effects carefully you can get away with not having a standard routine. Instead you have a list of openers, middle effects and closers that you can pick from to create a personalised routine for your audience and environment.
• Save money: You will only buy a new effect when you think it is either better than what exists in your repertoire, or you want to refocus your magic. This will stop you wasting money on effects that are fundamentally good but that you will never perform.

Whilst there is no combination of tricks that forms a ‘perfect list’, I hope the thought process I went through to create my list can be of some help to you.

Step 1: Think about things from the spectator’s point of view. i.e. what does the effect accomplish in their eyes?
One of the key things to remember when choosing effects is that while two effects can be different in the magician’s eyes, they could appear to be similar in the eyes of a spectator. E.g. in the eyes of a magician, ‘Dr Daley’s Last Trick’ and ‘Here Then There’ are completely different, however in the eyes of a spectator you are still simply swapping the positions of some cards. Therefore you could argue that there is no point in having both of them in your repertoire.
So in order to help you decide which tricks you should perform you should first put your tricks into distinctive categories, where each category represents a different type of effect in the eyes of a spectator (examples below).
(It might be useful to download some free mind mapping software to do this e.g. FreeMind)
Once you have grouped all of your effects you will end up with a list of distinctive categories and you can move onto step 2.

Example categories
Transposition Effects (e.g. Here then There)
Coincidence Effects (e.g. Out of this World)
Revelations (e.g. multiple card revelations)
Transportation Effects (e.g. card to impossible location)
Prediction Effects (e.g. Invisible deck)

Step 2: Every routine, however long, should have a start, middle and an end.
If you are going to use your list of effects to create flexible routines then you need to have effects that are openers, effects that are middle effects and effects that are closers. So it makes sense that in each of the categories outlined in step 1 you should choose three tricks: an opener, middle effect and closer.
Note: The example I gave before about Dr Daley’s Last Trick and Here Then There was purely illustrative and of course you can use both of them as two of your three transposition effects

The result here is that you end up with a matrix with a number of boxes, and in each box you need to insert an appropriate effect. How you fill up this matrix is up to you and depends on what you’re trying to achieve, but some of the things that you should consider are:
• Is the effect impromptu? (i.e. are any gimmicks or a setup required and how would I deal with this?)
• Length of the effect – you should open with a relatively quick effect and your closer can take longer
• Complexity – ideally you want to be thinking about your performance rather than the mechanics so less complex effects are sometimes better. Also more complex effects are better suited to closing effects

Once you have filled your matrix you are in a position to move onto the next stage, which is about using the matrix to construct your routines.

Example
Transportation Category:
Opener: Sandwich Effect
Middle: Card to Pocket
Closer: Card to Impossible Location (e.g. folded up inside a box the spectator has been holding)

Step 3: Creating A Routine
In this final step you can use your matrix to generate any number of routines. The way you have constructed it means you can make a routine of 3 effects (which might last about 10-15 minutes) by choosing an opener, middle and closer from any of your categories. This will automatically create a routine that increases in impressiveness, whilst keeping the variety.
Obviously you can also increase the length of the routine by adding more than one starter, middle or closer, but you should not mix the order. i.e. perform both starters, middles or closers one after the other.
Again you may need to think about how to move from one effect to another if certain effects require a set up, but there is always a way to get around this.

So when I had gone through the steps I have outlined I ended up with a number of effects that were all completely distinctive in terms of presentation and mechanics from the point of view of my audience, and I was able to generate a routine from them which was logical and personalised to my audience in a matter of seconds (which was what I set out to do!) These steps helped me a lot with my magic and I hope some of you agree with my thought and can find something useful in what I’ve said too.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
This is a great thread / post. I am 30 years old though and still cannot stop buying effects/ wasting money. It is seriously like a disease. I see someone perform something and I am blown away...and then 10 minutes later, I am like...ohhhh I gotta have that one too.

Am I the only one who feels this way who is an adult? Somebody please say No.

When I stop and actually think about which effects I actually use on a week to week basis...it is a deck of cards, coins, and some rubber bands. These are strong enough and provide you with plenty of material to fry an audience. These are the items that I throw in my pocket regardless of where I am going.

Yet....on top of my dresser sits silks, Bill Abbott's "The Thing", Stratosphere, Thumb tips, spongeballs, devil's hank, coin funnel and countless other items. These are all fun and good but I only use them when I have a formal type show.

Its just money...right....ha ha.

Sep 1, 2007
Leesburg, Virginia.
To construct and structure your magic routines I recommend making a 3x3 grid. In the first horizontal row you pick three openers. In the middle row you pick three interloop pieces, and in the last row you pick three closers. Do what so few magicians do and WORK A SCRIPT. Now that doesn't mean you have to follow it word for word, but plan it out word for word and customize it for each individual audience. Now don't just pick your favorite effects, pick things along the same lines such as mentalism, levitation and PK, or card gambling techniques. Now you have a flexible routine ready. Pick one of the three openers, then move into the interloop piece that best fits the conditions you've been placed in, and finally end with one of the three closers, again, depending on who you're doing it for. The difference between a professional and an amateur magician is that a professional will perform a few tricks perfectly, while an amateur will perform a bunch of random tricks decently. Please have a structure, a plan, and don't perform totally random effects (like 2 Card Monte and then mind-reading). Remember that you can make 2 or 3 grids too!

"Structure! Routining! Ebb and flow! Anywho..." ~ Jay Sankey

Mar 29, 2009
Keithville, LA
I have a short routine of 3 effects that I just am now starting to work on, actually my first one. I usually just did maybe one or two effects for various people I know (mostly friends and family) Don't have the confidence to go up to strangers yet. I agree that once I know the few effects in my routine extremely well. It will give me the confidence I need to perform for various people. Just got to work at it

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
To construct and structure your magic routines I recommend making a 3x3 grid. In the first horizontal row you pick three openers. In the middle row you pick three interloop pieces, and in the last row you pick three closers. Do what so few magicians do and WORK A SCRIPT. Now that doesn't mean you have to follow it word for word, but plan it out word for word and customize it for each individual audience. Now don't just pick your favorite effects, pick things along the same lines such as mentalism, levitation and PK, or card gambling techniques. Now you have a flexible routine ready. Pick one of the three openers, then move into the interloop piece that best fits the conditions you've been placed in, and finally end with one of the three closers, again, depending on who you're doing it for. The difference between a professional and an amateur magician is that a professional will perform a few tricks perfectly, while an amateur will perform a bunch of random tricks decently. Please have a structure, a plan, and don't perform totally random effects (like 2 Card Monte and then mind-reading). Remember that you can make 2 or 3 grids too!

"Structure! Routining! Ebb and flow! Anywho..." ~ Jay Sankey

Great Idea Sands. I like it and will use it.

Nov 8, 2007
I agree with you. I cut my performing list way down about two years ago. Mainly because I want everything I do to be done well and be battle tested.

Another thing to consider is the props you're working with. I try to round my repertoire out so that I'm working with a lot of different props people are likely to have on them--rings, watches, glasses, dollars, coins, etc.

Mar 22, 2009
London, UK
Yeah that's a fair point with the different props. One thing I would be cautious about though is that there is still little difference in the spectator's eyes between making a coin disappear and appear somewhere impossible and making a card do the same thing... so perhaps for each of the categories you define, you can enter any tricks in your grid/matrix, and are not limited to cards.

Sands, you pretty much just repeated what I said but in different words... although I personally wouldn't limit myself to a 3x3 grid. I'd be happier with a 6x3 or something.... It's completely up to the individual, but I'd probably get bored with only ever doing 9 tricks! I suppose the point there is that you can have as big a grid as you want (anything x 3) as long as the tricks all produce different effects from each other, and you can perform them all to a very high standard.

It's also interesting that a thread about reducing you repertoire generates a lot less responses than a lot of other effects. Maybe this is a topic that you need to find out about on your own journey rather than someone telling you!

B

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results