Dave Buck - Quitting Magic For Film School?

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
http://dananddave.com/a/announcements/leaving-magic.html

Dear Friends, Colleagues, and Supporters,

It is with great respect that I make this announcement today, and trust that this has been a long time coming. To explain my intentions, it should be noted where this all began. When Dan and I were younger, we both began a journey together. We wanted to learn, to advance, to improve. We loved magic, and soon discovered and found an innate respect for cardistry.

Practicing this has brought us some incredible opportunities that I will forever be grateful for. We have been able to tour the world, and meet magic enthusiasts all the way from Tampa to Taiwan. We have been able to learn from and spend time with some of the best magicians in the world today, and for that I am both appreciative and eternally indebted. With great respect, however, my love of magic and the art has waned over the past several years. A fact that has caused great tumult and stress between Dan and myself, we had grown tense to the point where we would go days without speaking to each other, as my waning interest unfairly required him to pick up my slack. It was not fair to Dan, and I apologize for it.

As it is now the end of the first quarter of 2009, it is time for change. I can no longer hold myself back from my true passions, and it is no longer fair to require Dan to work double hard for the both of us. Today, I announce my resignation as co-founder of Dan and Dave and intend to enroll in film school at UCLA this fall. This decision was not made lightly, and has been the root of many heated discussions between Dan and I over the past year. While it saddens me to be leaving behind a hobby to gain a career, it would sadden me further to prevent myself to realizing the dreams of my youth.

I grew up respecting the work of Spielberg and the way that he juxtoposed intimate dialogue in stories larger than oneself. I've always wanted to recreate that feeling in others, and to inspire many more people through storytelling in film, rather than pasteboard.

I will still hereafter be involved with D&D, but only in the vein of production - not creation. Admittedly, Dan has always been the leader in that area, and I trust that he will now shine brighter than ever. To be honest with each of you, I will miss the magic community greatly. I was raised within it, and it is a part of my self. But at the same time, I believe that to succeed, we must step outside of our comfort zone and challenge ourselves.

One day I do hope to regain my love of magic, cardistry, and performance. But for now, I must say goodbye.

With respect,
Dave Buck

.................................................................................................................................................................................. April Fools! Good work Dave!

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
-If this is true then I wish you the best of luck in your film career

-If this is an April Fool's joke then that's a good one Dave

Jun 11, 2008
Well, if this is true. I wish you luck on your career into film. The magic community will miss you greatly. You have made a large impact on all of us, and the entire magic industry. You revolutionised magic as a whole and we highly respect you for it. I heard a quote that said if you impact one life, you've done enough, and you, sir, have impaced many with what may be other's future careers, and hobbies. You have built relationships within our community, and we all thank you for that.
Thank you again for all you left with us in the magic community. We Promise that you will NOT be forgotten.
Goodbye,
Adam Truitt

PS: If this is an april fools joke, for real, please tell me, because this is a very hardcore one.

Jan 28, 2009
Guys, its April Fool's day. If he really was making that announcement there are two problems.

1) Why make it on a day when 50% of the people that are reading it are going to instantly disbelieve it as it's April fools day.

2) There's no way he'd ever admit that Dan was the main creator.

By the way I heard that David Blaine ate a wild boar raw in the middle of Dharan for his latest stunt. ACTUAL.

Jun 11, 2008
You know guys, He may be serious. What he is doing is smart. Ben Franklin said that a man must repot himself every 10 years. He is changing his career and I admire him for it. It is people who do hard things like this that make even more succsessful in life. I think he is serious, and the note was very sincere.

Jan 28, 2009
What I love about this is the fact that even though this story has more holes in it than anything I've ever seen, and its April fools day people are still arguing that its true. Classic.

April fools is great.

Jan 13, 2008
What I love about this is the fact that even though this story has more holes in it than anything I've ever seen, and its April fools day people are still arguing that its true. Classic.

April fools is great.
Exactly...it's great. :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results