Cards - Do they matter? - Poll

Have you ever been asked if the deck you are using is a "trick deck"?

• Total voters
Mar 29, 2008
THIS ISN'T AN OPINION POLL - IT IS A FACTUAL POLL - If you haven't experience any of this - don't vote.

I don't want to divert the conversation to here - although it might, however:

I HAVE been asked, "is that a trick deck" a few times in my 13 years with Bikes...but after asking why they asked that - people would say, "I have a friend that had a deck that did" - then they would describe a Svengali or a Tappered deck...sometimes an ID - but nobody has asked me that before I did magic, and nobody has asked me if they had NO knowledge of other marketed trick decks.

HOWEVER - in just carrying around a novelty deck...and doing nothing with it - I have had MANY people ask me, before they have seen anything - are those cards trick cards.

SO I ask - have you had people ask you if your cards are trick cards?

Yes - but only when I use novelty cards

Yes - but more so with novelty cards, than with bikes or recognized brands

Yes - but the same amount regardless of using Bikes or Novelty cards

No - it is a non-issue, I have never been asked either way

I don't have enough experience performing to judge either way

Sep 1, 2007
I got the same results no matter the brand or color because at the time I was acting suspicious. I had the same problems doing copper/silver transpositions for the same reasons.

Jun 7, 2008
DC area
www.youtube.com
I find it cool when people are asking if im using a trick deck when Im not. (in bill cosby voice) It makes me feel really good with the sleight of hand and the palming and the color changes. (back to normal voice) If the only local answer is im using a trick deck and im not it must mean that I fooled them.

Apr 26, 2008
sometimes a friend will ask me to do a trick and then they'll pause and say "ohhh yeah you need trick card to do that don't you"...I love the look on their face when i say i don't...They normally run and grab their own deck of cards and are really shocked that i can do something amazing with regular cards...

Sep 3, 2007
When you say "novelty" deck are you basically meaning anything that doesn't look like a standard red/blue back? Would ghost, viper, guardians etc. fit into that category?

Thanks,

Sep 3, 2007
yes, any custom deck.

Then I had to go with moreso with novelty cards. I have been asked quite a few times times about "trick deck" just because they don't look like normal cards to the specs. Mostly right when they are introduced/come out of the box. Usually the simple answer "no" suffices but sometimes just letting them look through the deck is more than enough to set them at ease. Only once or twice have I been asked while using bikes.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Never had that problem of being asked if I had a trick deck even when using a novelty one.
Probably because I let the spectators hold the cards most of the time.
Makes the magic seem alot less like a "card trick".

Mar 29, 2008
I would like to see a few more posters before we discuss this beat to death topic....yep, weak post for a bump.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Interesting that only 1 in 5 people actually get asked more with custom decks than normal bikes.

With the amount of whinging of that popular argument "People think it's a trick deck", you'd think there'd be more. Which for me reinforces what I've always said about it being about how you handle a deck.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I didn't vote. I have never been asked about a trick deck. I only perform with blue or red bikes or tally-ho's.

I have novelty or custom decks often and people never mention it.

-Rik

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results