True Life: My Friend Shares a Tale of Magic - Or Lack Thereof

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
Hello there,

Yesterday, one of my best friends in the whole world called me to tell me about a magical experience she had at a pizza parlor in Sacramento.

She said she was out to dinner with a few of her friends from Sac State and she spotted one of the staff floating a dollar bill in the corner, she said "it was as if he wanted us to say 'wow, show us over here'." She said that they didn't beckon for anyone to come over, he just did... while they were eating...

Now, my friend knows a good performer when she sees one (we used to be on a pro dance/cheer team together) however, all she had to say about this pizza magician was negative. She said "he's did the same magic tricks I've seen a thousand times from a hundred other magicians, then he did that fancy card stuff that you know how to do for like 5 minutes and it was soooooo boring, and then he wasn't even that great of a performer." She went on to tell me that this has turned her off of anything magic "unless it makes me laugh".

She said "If I see anyone doing a magic trick again I'm going to walk the other way."

Now, as you can see I am very distraught about her feelings, being that I live and breathe all things magic.

Here are some questions to the forum go-ers here.

1. How do you think you could change someone's attitude now that "they have seen the same tricks a thousand times"?

2. How do you judge when a good time to show people a trick is? Is it when they are eating and having a good time with their friends? or do you wait for a moment when the table is finishing up or having a bit of a quiet moment?

3. Would you ever consider trying to do something different? Or would you rather stick to the classics and take the eye rolling?

Your thoughts are appreciated as this is leaving me kind of heart broken. Not that my friend doesn't like magic anymore, the fact that 100 magicians have made her feel that way by doing the same tricks has me all in a tizzy.

Thanks.

Love,

Katie

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
1. How do you think you could change someone's attitude now that "they have seen the same tricks a thousand times"?

2. How do you judge when a good time to show people a trick is? Is it when they are eating and having a good time with their friends? or do you wait for a moment when the table is finishing up or having a bit of a quiet moment?

3. Would you ever consider trying to do something different? Or would you rather stick to the classics and take the eye rolling?

Thanks.

Love,

Katie

Woot woot! I hope I am the first one to answer....

That story kinda reminded me why I started magic in the first place.

Before I began doing magic in my school I heard of this guy that was "amasing" with cards, so I wanted to meet him and I did, but boy do I regret that decision to this day...why? the guy was an egocentrical son of a !!!! I mean, he was good with coins and cards but every trick that he made kinda made me feel (me and the others watching) kinda stupid, because is whole patter was kinda like "oooh Im too fast for you! look at me! Im desperate for attention! tell me that I am awesome!" you know what I mean?

It's kinda like the "remove the ego from your routines" thread that toyrobot did, to be sincere I know that a lot of us in here likes to be the center of attention and that's why a lot of us learned magic in the first place, because we want to stand up from the pack.we want to be different.We love attention...

Of course its not the case with everyone but Im speaking for myself and I hope for others guys in here, so leavin that behind I want to answer those questions.

1.-enterteining them, why? they lost the love for the tricks in the first place because the performer was boring and his routine sucked ( we need to be aware that %100 of the time when a routine fails is our fault...of course im not counting hecklers;)) so we need to adjust our routines to their necesities ( Of course I remember Derren Brown saying that we need to make THEM adjust to us but I think that that is half the work ) So lets find a way to entertein people.

2.- It kinda rises up you know? as everything in life you cant force things on people because that would end in laymen not interacting the way you want in your tricks, we kinda need to know our audience before we perform for them, we need to know who is the leader, who is the funny guy I mean things like that, also if you see all the gusy bored up and quiet it could be a good time to perform, I mean who knows for sure?:D

3.-As I said before we need to adapt,your audience is kinda the intelligent one? perform for them a well structured routine with some nice patter.Entertein. Your audience likes eye candy? fuel their imagination with the biddle trick or things like that. WE NEED TO ENTERTEIN.....

I hope somebody actually takes the time to read it and reply to my thoughts as I am looking forward for a nice discussion here:D

Cheers.

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
RDChopper,

Thank you. I appreciate answers like this. Understanding and well thought out...bravo!

I don't want to make her like magic, that's not my job.

I think its a entertainer/magician's job to not make a laymen feel this way.

Love,

Katie

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
The way I would get her to like magic again is to show her something that 95% of magicians wont perform... Something out of a book. Thats why I started learning mentalism, because cards only can only get you so far.

-Michael

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
I agree with RDChopper

1. Try to entertain them and try to make them part of the magic. Make the routine fun,but also serious. Make sure that everyone is having a good time and have them feel part of the magic and make them believe that it is real so you leave a image and the magic in their minds.

2. Try to know your audiences before you perform. That way you know how to adjust and know what each others personality and stlye is.

3. Well it depends on the situtaion, enviroment and the spectators. Make a well structed routine and add a different twist to the performing effect.

Hope this helps.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Maybe the guy was new and didn't realize that you don't show magic to people when they are eating. As for him doing the same stuff other guys over again. That can happen in magic and many other entertainment forms. I am sure she will snap out of it sooner or later.

Mar 29, 2008
These are hard but great questions Katie. She doesn't hate magic. She hates what magic has become - an eye sore. She hates that magic isn't about an experience, but about someone showing off. Magic, when done well, isn't about the magician - it is about the experience. No disrespect to anyone - but notice some of the stuff you mentioned. Floating bill - that is a LOOK AT ME (the magician) effect - card juggling, same thing - much of magic doesn't make the audience feel connected. As magicians, we sell our personalities through the magic - if you are just fooling someone - your magic says nothing, but I FOOLED YOU. Really empty, this craft we try to have accepted as an "art". Your friend told you the solution - she wants to laugh - more importantly, she wants an experience - a memory - that is more than, "I fooled you" - she wants to be entertained - maybe not like, "dance monkey dance" entertainment - but remind me how amazing life is. People laugh to forget the world, when they are fooled, they are frustrated more with the (real) world they hardly understand. The illness is magic malpractice, and, as it has been said, laughter is the best medicine.

Do magic that others don't. Old magic is new magic - new magic is old magic. Also, give your magic meaning to their lives. So what - the bill floats - why? It is amazing how a good magician (looking at myself in mirror) can take an effect and relate it to a real world occurance. Like a comedian that notices an oddity of watching the food network:

I will never understand why they cook on TV.
I can’t smell it. Can’t eat it. Can’t taste it.
The end of the show they hold it up to the camera, “Well, here it is. You can’t have any. Thanks for watching. Goodbye.”

It is only funny, if you can relate - if the comedian (Jerry Seinfeld) was talking about what it was like to be a pilot...or work for NASA - less people can relate. Too often, the magic has become about the magic - and we forget - that is NOT the strength of close up.

What is the situation - same as your friends - they invite me over? IIf you have a good product, people will like you, even if at first they are not sure - however...if you are pizza boy...well, there is no good time. If I catch their eye, I will ask them a question - if they ask me a question about what I am doing - I would use that to segway into an effect. The effect should stem from the conversation. This gives magic a more organic experience. As an opener - I will walk up to a table and introduce myself, as I am meeting people...I will look surprised as I meet someone and say - "wow, you look familiar...I think I have met you before" - I haven't, but they are curious. I now show a look of "OH YEAH" - and say, "I remember, about 2 weeks ago...I had a dream about you". Now they look at each other like I am nuts, but then I procede to show them the proof, and to not give away the exact effect I do - you could do Darwin's Dream Card, as the magical proof. However, you have managed to introduce your act in a professional and organic way - rather than - WANT TO SEE A CARD TRICK...PICK A CARD.

I NEVER do magic when people are eating - do you want to "pick a card" while you are eating? Nope. Before they eat - after they eat - or when they ask.

3. Would you ever consider trying to do something different? Or would you rather stick to the classics and take the eye rolling.

Are we really talking about "classics" - I can watch David Williamson do these classic effects a million times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD3zPLJSU0w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IBU9tsoKkE

COME ON - we are talking a "do as I do" and a "ACR" - but you would never care...because the magic is the car, and David is the gas. Most of us are driving on an empty tank...so no wonder people don't want to go for trip with us?!

Do you know what different magic is - putting YOU in the magic. What your friend may be sick of seeing - magic that is performed with nothing but the trick speaking for itself. THIS is when magic speaks for itself and (AGAIN) the message is I FOOLED YA - and we walk away wondering why a new magic hater is born.

So far, I have been disappointed with the TA sets by Paul Harris - his DVD's are full of magic that is demo'd by someone that is letting the magic speak for itself - what a great lesson for the youth. They see these guys and say - I want to be like him - and they are...I wish the DVD led by example, as few will read Transformations, Strong Magic, etc - that focus on building a connected experience.

I can't remember who said this - but I once saw a magician talking about how he was at a convention - and a guy came up and said, "I really wish you would show my wife magic...but she hates it" - he did magic for her...and - "she loved it" - because the truth was: She didn't hate magic Katie, she hated bad magic. Magic that failed to transcend the audiences hopes - and what do they hope for? A moment. A story. An experience. A connection. Maybe all those things - but much more than being fooled, this much I am sure of...because, even as a magician, I hope for the same things.

I hope this helped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 29, 2008
Thank you Morgician. That made me happy.

Love,

Katie

Not surprisingly, it took me 20 minutes and a full page to do for you, what you did for me in one line.

We all need a reminder once in awhile that magic has merit, still, despite the efforts of the majority of those that talk the talk, but don't walk the walk, by calling themselves magicians, because they bought a DVD from Ellusionist that taught them "2 card monte" - DON'T GET ME STARTED!!

I digress, meaning, I write too much - so, I am glad I could help. Keep changing people's mind about magic - one person at at a time.

“Life gives us brief moments with another...but sometimes in those brief moment we get memories that last a life time...” - create that memory by being part of it.

I just want to say one more thing - not everyone can be good at magic - so I am not mad that their are bad magicians, but so few people see live magic, it is hard for them to compare. However, if you can get them to give you the chance, if they have had a bad experience - you can change a magic hater to a magic lover...THIS is the true test of your ability as a complete magician.

CalvinTan

Elite Member
Katie,

Did you ask your friend if the magician's patter was robotic? I think this is a common mistake among beginning magicians. The scripted words end up flowing out of the mouth without a hint of emotion and does not feel genuine. Thus, the magician never connects with his audience.

It boggles my mind why he would approach a table that is eating or has their food out!

You guys are right about entertaining. Think about it this way. You and I know how tricks are done. Most of the time, we see a fellow magician performing a trick we know. We feel bored and unimpressed. Not because we know how the trick is done, but because it was not entertaining and it's basically the same patter. This is probably what your friend has experienced. I believe you have to put yourself in every trick you do. You have to personalize it and make it your own.

The magic should be used as a tool for the goal of entertainment. Ask yourself why I should care about you making my ring float. The, "because it's cool and I spent many hours practicing this" is not a valid answer. Give them a reason why they should care.

-Calvin

Sep 1, 2007
Did you ask your friend if the magician's patter was robotic? I think this is a common mistake among beginning magicians. The scripted words end up flowing out of the mouth without a hint of emotion and does not feel genuine. Thus, the magician never connects with his audience.

Probably, but largely irrelevant. You could speak entirely in Shakespearean sonnets that could move a jaded war veteran to tears, and it would all be for nothing if you just barged your way into a conversation where you're not wanted.

Many magicians make the mistake of assuming that everyone will love them for the "talents" they show off and just insert themselves into other people's business to get some ego validation. It pisses me off.

The unfortunate truth of this art form is that there is a huge lack of originality and evolution within the art.

For proof of this, watch any magic show in the US. Within the course of the show you will see at least one of a few things.

Someone will be wearing a tux, ala 1940
Someone will saw a woman in half
Someone will float
Someone will do a snowstorm
And there will probably be a glitter curtain.

In the past 60 years this art has barely evolved on a large scale. The methods have changed and improved, but its another method for sawing someone in half. Nothing changes, the same things are simply recycled.

One big issue I find is that people look at the magician in a tux and top hat as being a "classic in magic". Its not. Truth is, that look worked with and spoke to the style and people of that time period. Those magicians (IE, Channing Pollock, Cardini, etc.) were presenting themselves in a way that engaged and entertained the people of their own time.

Sadly, it seems that magicians took this not as their evolution, but a sign of their mastery of the art. That look and style became the epitome of the art form and has stayed that way for far, far to long.

While magic evolves on a smaller level the mainstream of the art has not changed. Look at our modern day masters, even they tend to stay stagnant. Jeff McBride has done the same act for 30 years. Lance Burton still dresses in a tail suit and produces doves just as Pollock did ages ago.

Are these acts amazing? Yes, from a magicians standpoint they are technically perfect and stunning, but that no more justifies complacency than if the acts were horrible.

Look at the most popular public mainstream magicians of the past few decades. Copperfield, Penn & Teller, David Blaine, Criss Angel, The Masked Magician. Every one of these men, whether you agree with their methods and style or not, were all fresh, new and inventive and THEY are the ones who have found success. By simply looking at this it becomes clear that magicians, ourselves, are the only ones who want to see our performers in top hats and tuxes. In the bigger picture, thats old news.

It has been said that Artists are always trying to evolve while entertainers find one act and stay complacent with it. And by that reasoning magic seems as more a method of entertainment than an art form, which saddens me greatly.

In the end, we need to work hard to further this art and make it fresh again or it remains a simple form of entertainment. Does this mean never do a classic effect? Of course not. But make it your own, make it new, revolutionize it.

I think if every magician today took it upon themselves to try and be revolutionary with their performances this art could look quite different in just a few years.

C

Jan 28, 2009
Yeah the truth is, if the spectator doesn't enjoy having their meal interrupted for the charitable act of stroking some random guy's ego, then that's the spectators fault. What other point is there to magic except being the center of attention and getting girls numbers by floating random objects around?

If there is one, I sure as heck don't know what it is. ;)

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
I'll take a card-stab at this...

/end terrible magic pun

This is kind of like the whole "same shi- different day" sort of thing. How many of you have pulled out a deck of cards (still in the box) and have your spectator say "Oh, I've seen this before" when you haven't even done anything yet? Alot of laymen will often link a deck of cards to one trick that they have seen before whether it be ACR, 21 card trick, 2 card monte, etc. In their mind, they've seen "this" before purely because you're a magician with a deck of cards. Once again, same shi- different day....same shi- different magician. And in all honesty, they're right. The bottom line is with magic is that you are doing one out of ten things over and over again via 10 theories of magic (if you don't know these please do yourself and everyone else a favor and learn them). With that said I think I'll actually answer the question now....

So how can you change their attitude? Simply do magic with things you wouldn't do magic with and take the things you do magic with and do a trick that is not "in the norm" with that thing. You'll still be doing the same things, but just with different "non-magic" items. Instead of doing a torn and restored card or torn and restored bill, do a torn and restored breadstick. Instead of doing chink a chink with coins, do it with the sugar packets that are on the table. The perception of "seeing the thing a thousand times" comes from seeing the same objects a thousand times (cards, coins, spongeballs, etc). However, when you replace that object with something completely different, then it will be new to them. Don't bring the magic with you, but instead take what you know and look for the magic that is around you. If you can do that and perform for your audience, then you will already stand out from all the other magicians they've seen. I could go into detail about connection, making them want more, attracting them to you, blah blah blah, but I think Darwin Ortiz says it best in Strong Magic. Yes kids, go out and read a book.

I'll answer this from a guest's point of view....

How do you judge when it's a good time? Common sense and basic social skills. Unfortunately many people lack both. Also, the best time to approach a table is after the server mentions that you are performing that night and give you an introduction, preferably before the meal. If you approach a table in the middle of a meal then you're just stupid. I don't think that approaching after a meal is a good idea either because usually after eating at a restaurant, I want to go somewhere else..I do not want to stay there and watch some guy show me what he thinks is the best ACR (A Crappy Routine) in the world. However, if the server mentions that there is a magician performing for the evening and actually gives me the option of watching him, then I might say yes.

If this is a question about tricks, then here...

Isn't everything in magic a rehash of a classic? Aren't you just showing someone the same trick using a different method? Since that's usually the case, then get ready for alot of eye rolling....

If this is more on presentation then.....

I don't think I'd try anything different. I think I'll stay the same. It's alot easier performing magic as Sean Cinco than performing as Sean the Super Awesome Magic Dude from the Land Beyond the Horizon on Mercury. Plus your audience will see that you are being genuine with your magic because you're not putting up any fronts or wearing a hypothetical mask to cover who you really are. As for the eye rolling? I'd rather get eye rolling instead of getting no reaction at all.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results