Three Weddings

Feb 10, 2009
Portsmouth, England
Hey there guys and gals just wanted to stop by here and ask a quick piece of advice. Im working 3 weddings over the next month. They are my first actual paid gigs. I was just wondering how many effects people that have performed at weddings usually have on them. At the moment ive got about 7 that i have been using for about 2 years each and im not sure what or even if I need anymore than that (they are a mix of cards, ring and mentalism). Just looking for ideas and opinions on this really guys. Any advice would be greatly appriciated such as how many effects to perform per group cause I usually do betwen 3-5.
Anyway thanks for your replies and I cant wait to read them.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I have not done a wedding but have done other outdoor / big event table hopping events.

With these experiences I have found that if you keep 3-5 effects on you, that is more than enough. You don't want to be playing the "ummm...let's see here...I know it is in this pocket...no wait..it was over here last time.." game. It will kill the mood and get yourself frustrated as well.

Plus... I like how you said you have a mixture of things and have been performing those 7 for the past two years. You should be very confident with them and know how to handle certain situations by now regarding those effects.

I wouldn't add anything else to your arsenal right now...especially if these weddings are your first major gigs.

Use what you have and kill them with confidence and a fun personality.

Feb 10, 2009
Portsmouth, England
Thanks for your reply, I'm really looking forward to it and cant wait. Im glad you share the thought of only using the 3-5 effects as ive been using this format for a while. Its good to have the input of people who have worked similar events such outdoor events as all I have been working is small private parties for less than an hour each (normally about 45 minutes). I usually can just carry everything I need on me but as they are longer events than im used to do you think it would be a good idea for me to take a case with extra decks, business cards and sharpies with me? and if so where do you normally store this?
Thanks again for the reply and I cant wait to hear some more input.

Aug 21, 2008
when your doing you trick with rings you should make a joke that you stole it from the groom.

but i would definately have some back up routines, i allways have a few when im doing a gig in case someone wants to see more.
and they have to be good, you have to go out with a great effect
hope this helps

-Danny

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
As far as carrying business cards on me, I have used the Josh Jay little leather pouch that looks classy and goes on your belt. I just move it over to my side so that my suit coat covers it until someone asks for business cards. You may also want to check with the bride and groom to see if they mind you handing out business cards at the table or if they'd prefer you don't. I wouldn't think it would be a problem but I would definitely check first.

The sharpie I normally just put in my top coat pocket.

When selecting tricks / effects I have found that it is way easier to work with effects that have instant reset as you may not have a place to go to set up or you may be surrounded. I learned the hard way...ha ha.

Towards the end you may start to get a bigger group of people around you that you just want to fry with something bigger than what you did at the tables. For this reason I always carry one effect to do just one time to finish them off if there is a big crowd around me. Remember though...these are weddings and the day is about the bride and groom not you. You are just keeping people happy in the back drop. It is very easy for you to forget this and try to build a big crowd.

Forgive me if I come off as being a dick, but personally I would never accept a gig, ESPECIALLY a wedding, if I were this unprepared with only a month beforehand. A wedding is a big deal for everyone involved, and the last thing they want is a ****-up, even with the entertainment.

IMO, no, 7 effects is not enough. Sure, you'll probably be doing brief sets like mentioned, but the minimum I think one should have is 10-12 SOLID pieces of magic in their arsenal at any given time. Who knows if you'll have tables calling you back, or people that have already seen you, gathering around to watch a bit more magic every now and again. It's not always the case, but I personally feel only 7 solid tricks isn't much to play with.

Secondly, stay away from any cheesy jokes using the bride and grooms rings, them, etc. You're the entertainment, not there to crack jokes at their expense. Chances are, they wouldn't go over too well. Anyone recommending that is just doing so out of ignorance (just not knowing), not experience.

Thirdly, when doing a large strolling gig, I always carry 2 decks and 2 sharpies. Just to carry one is not a good idea, and is something I've had the learn the hard way. Also carry additional business cards on you, but I tend to not pass them out unless asked for at those kinds of events. What I have found to be successful is oftentimes, there will be a couple tables outside the reception hall. One with pictures of the bride/groom, and another with hotel info, wedding info, etc. I have a business card holder that I sit on that table, and put some business cards in that. But only do so with permission.

Anyways, just some thoughts. I still think you're going into this under-prepared with limited time left. Not something I'd do in a million years, but it's whatever.

Best.
Steve

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Steve has some valid points and seems to have experience with the weddings. I agree with the having two decks and probably two sharpies.

I like his idea of putting the cards out on the little table (with permission) so that you don't even have to carry them on you. Thanks Steve.

Definitely no jokes about the bride and groom though...that would be a bit tacky.

As far as the tricks though...I tend to lean towards the having only 5 on you and then having extras off to the side in your brief case to go to if you need to.
I have never been called back to a table at a gig but I have had the people actually stand up from the table and follow me to the next table to see more magic. You have to be prepared for this.

Thanks Steve. You are not coming off as a dick. You are just being honest.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I agree with Steve, I think the biggest difference between table magic and strolling magic is that it's quite likely that your sets will be longer, it's a much freer environment and groups will form around you.

I usually try to keep to an opener that is punchy in it's first phase at least, get people knowing that you're GOOD asap. Then a middle effect, something a little more in depth, another quicker effect and a close that has a solid build up and a real solid applause cue to finish.

The worst thing is to run out of magic, Reverhart raises a good point in that you don't want to fumble, but keep organized and rip open those sewn up side pockets of your jacket!

I like to keep a fair amount of stuff on me, draw various reveals about my person in uv ink, all sorts, but I find it much easier to have a structured set, and then allow flexibility for encores, etc.

Hope that helps!

D.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
I agree with Steve, I think the biggest difference between table magic and strolling magic is that it's quite likely that your sets will be longer, it's a much freer environment and groups will form around you.

I usually try to keep to an opener that is punchy in it's first phase at least, get people knowing that you're GOOD asap. Then a middle effect, something a little more in depth, another quicker effect and a close that has a solid build up and a real solid applause cue to finish.

The worst thing is to run out of magic, Reverhart raises a good point in that you don't want to fumble, but keep organized and rip open those sewn up side pockets of your jacket!

I like to keep a fair amount of stuff on me, draw various reveals about my person in uv ink, all sorts, but I find it much easier to have a structured set, and then allow flexibility for encores, etc.

Hope that helps!

D.

I agree with Dee.

===

Also, an idea that I just had that would be absolutely stellar...

Buy Tarantula, and perform it using the Bride's brand-spanking new wedding ring.

Or maybe not, she might start freaking out.

Feb 10, 2009
Portsmouth, England
Thanks for the input from everyone. I don't honestly feel under prepared I just want to know others opinions on the subject so thanks for letting me know and I believe I can take a lot from what you guys have said.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results