Palming Advice

Hey it's me again, still on the Royal Road to Card Magic.
Now I gained some confidence with the first chapters (Overhand Shuffle, Riffle Shuffle, Glide, Glimpse, Key Card and some of the Flourishes), I'm going to learn the palm.

And after having read through the techniques from both Royal Road and Card college, I begin to wonder. What would be the best way to start learning the palm?

If I follow Card College, I should start with getting used to the feeling of having the card palmed in my hand before even considering learning how to actually palm it.
Royal Road makes me start right away.

Also, I feel that when palming, I bend the card too much, and also when I try to bend my first finger, my windows are all wide opened...

Well, maybe you can tell me some stories from the time when you start learning how to palm a card. How you dealt with the feeling, the technique, how you practiced. I would appreciate your words, you experience and your advice, and use all this to learn this the "right" way.

Apr 28, 2008
I find that my hand looks more natural if I bend the card quite a bit, you shouldn't try and keep the card flat, it will look very awkward. I'd recommend holding the card in a palm while watching TV, listening to music etc. Just keep putting it in a palm position, when you start to feel a bit more comfortable with this you can then start to learn techniques to invisibly put the card into a palm.

Bending the first finger into a natural position without flashing is something that will come with practice, when I first started palming there were loads of gaps between my fingers, I though it was just the shape of my hands at first but with practice I found it far easier to keep them close together and hide the card.

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
Hey it's me again, still on the Royal Road to Card Magic.
Now I gained some confidence with the first chapters (Overhand Shuffle, Riffle Shuffle, Glide, Glimpse, Key Card and some of the Flourishes), I'm going to learn the palm.

And after having read through the techniques from both Royal Road and Card college, I begin to wonder. What would be the best way to start learning the palm?

If I follow Card College, I should start with getting used to the feeling of having the card palmed in my hand before even considering learning how to actually palm it.
Royal Road makes me start right away.

Also, I feel that when palming, I bend the card too much, and also when I try to bend my first finger, my windows are all wide opened...

Well, maybe you can tell me some stories from the time when you start learning how to palm a card. How you dealt with the feeling, the technique, how you practiced. I would appreciate your words, you experience and your advice, and use all this to learn this the "right" way.

I'm in a similar situation as you, so this isn't exactly advice because I'm not qualified enough to give you that. I'm following royal road but I'm first trying to hold a card palmed in my hand for as long as possible without giving any outward signs. The hard part of the whole thing is to make my hand look natural. I guess it is something that comes with practice and patience.

I don't think you can avoid bending the card, at least not with the classic top palm. As for windows, you might want to try and keep your hand relaxed and see if it makes a difference.

One more thing, I haven't yet shown any trick that uses the palm to anyone. I want to be sure I don't accidentally expose the method. I hope you are also not in a hurry to do these things.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
I would recommend placing the card into a classic palm grip for any amount of time that it takes you to be able to act as free as possible without revealing the card, and THEN work on these palms:

One Handed Top Palm
Bottom Palm
Top Palm (incorporating the use of both hands)
Palming more than one card (using the standard top palming method you prefer)
Gambler's Cop

The last is very different from the others; work on it after you are comfortable with everything else.

Remember, when performing, you just need confidence - don't be scared to palm it!

Feel free to PM me if you need any advice about anything else, I'm happy to help.

Dec 25, 2008
Malaysia
for those who just started to learn palming i advice you guys should take a look on Jason England Palming Fundamentals its good for begginners:D

One more thing, I haven't yet shown any trick that uses the palm to anyone. I want to be sure I don't accidentally expose the method. I hope you are also not in a hurry to do these things.

I'm sooo not in a hurry. My goal is to be smooth, no tension, natural.

So far all the things I've learned have been practiced again and again, and I have a group of "test buddies" on which I can test my tricks when I feel confident enough. So far no one has seen anything. No exposure. I feel good about that.

May 18, 2008
Best advice I have for you is to watch Martin Lewis palm cards... Man, last night I saw him palm some cards and he has the best palm I have ever seen!

I think how I started was with routines that had palming but had built in misdirection to build confidence. Then, as time pergressed, I just got more and more comfortable with the move.

Feb 21, 2009
n3o,

I would recommend finding the right 'spot' in your hand before doing anything else. Once you find your 'spot,' I would recommend completing everyday tasks with a card palmed. Then, once you feel comfortable with a card palmed, try what Roberto Giobbi suggests doing with a Double Lift in Card College. Thought I can't remember which volume it is in,(I would check for you, but I'm away from home.) I know that what he suggests is pure genius. Once you have completed all of the above, then, and only then, try to palm the card into your 'sweet spot.'

Hope that helps,

Matt

I find that my hand looks more natural if I bend the card quite a bit, you shouldn't try and keep the card flat, it will look very awkward. I'd recommend holding the card in a palm while watching TV, listening to music etc. Just keep putting it in a palm position, when you start to feel a bit more comfortable with this you can then start to learn techniques to invisibly put the card into a palm.

Bending the first finger into a natural position without flashing is something that will come with practice, when I first started palming there were loads of gaps between my fingers, I though it was just the shape of my hands at first but with practice I found it far easier to keep them close together and hide the card.
thats why i try to do Kaos as little as i can...because of what you stated...

I've practiced a little within the past two weeks. I also read a lot about palming.
From now I can carry up to 4 cards in my hands, but having them get to that position from the deck is still another story hehe. But I don't worry, I just keep doing it, it will come...

Another question just pops up in my mind : between the palming described in Royal Road (making the card "pop" with middle finger) and the one from Erdnase that can been seen in Jason England Palming Fundamentals (using pinky to break) which one are you using?
What are the pros and cons if you tried/know both?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results