Graphic - Mello

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I've known about this concept for a little while - Matt mentioned it to me briefly through discussions a few months ago.

I thought it was a genius concept then, but upon watching the video and learning the ins and outs of this piece for myself, I've come to really appreciate the simplicity of the system and the flow of the provided memorized deck routine.

The beauty of this system isn't just it's simple methodology, but the tool it's self is hidden in plain sight, will never be found as there is nothing to find and you don't have to glue disgusting cheat sheets to various props strewn about the working surface.

I always focus on the effect and methodology when writing a review such as this one, I wouldn't say I've got the highest of standards of expectation when double-clicking the latest magic download on the ol' macbook, but as I've come to expect from Brian and Matt, this latest Mental Playground release holds tight onto the bar pushing up all the way as far as production is concerned.

Put simply and to sum up the above, this is a fantastic method for achieving an incredibly realistic effect.

I wouldn't hesitate to spend the $22.95 the guys are asking for, a method this good could be priced much higher.

http://www.thementalplayground.com/graphic.html

D.

Aug 31, 2007
Hey Tumbleweed,

You can check out this thread

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=305882&forum=218&start=30

From that thread you can see that it's been getting great reviews and was even backed by Alan Rorrison and Devin Knight.

Also, Andrew Gerard (Consultant for David Blaine and Criss Angel) backed it up.

You can read performance stories in that thread and I believe there is another one on here somewhere.

But, if anyone has some new performance stories please feel free to share.

Matt Mello

Sep 1, 2007
chainzero -

We would like to offer this on DVD, yes.

I am in talks with a distributor and hope it will be picked up. I am currently waiting on a response.

I will post an update when/if it becomes available on DVD.

Brian Rodgers

Aug 31, 2007
Just one more question, just how impromptu is this effect? Or how much set up is required (and can the set up be done in front of the audience)?

Aug 31, 2007
I actually have sat there and set this up in front of the spectators. But, I was talking to them for awhile when I was doing it.

The actual setup takes about a minute, but once you are set, you can use it over and over as it instantly resets itself at the end of the effect.

If you do walk-around and are wondering if this will be practical for that sort of venue, then you'll be fine. I perform this at every table in my restaurant work.

As for absolute impromptuness, you only need to go to a store and buy a deck of cards and you can perform this.

Matt Mello

Dec 25, 2008
Wisconsin, USA
I own both Technique and and Graphic by Matthew Mellow, and am having much more fun with this trick than the former mentioned one. The only issue that I have is that this is a long trick, and while it gives you time to build an emotion attachment between you and your audience, it can also seem to drag on as there isn't much drama to add. After you've gotten half-way through the cards, the audience pretty much knows the outcome, and although it's portrayed as a memory attempt and not a "trick", there isn't the sudden "wait, what?!" feature. Instead, it's more of a "wow, that's an incredible memory you have" reception.

One thing that I like to add in after asking which pile of cards we should use is "...But first, a quick understanding of how your brain works. The human mind can remember up to around seven items before it becomes confused and not able to interpret what you've told it. That's why phone numbers are seven digits - three, and then four. Now, how long do you think it would take to memorize a deck of cards?"

Hopefully, my little quote is fine to post here, and although I know this thread is a review, I figured that it might spark some small ideas for anyone who's purchased this effect. Nonetheless, I'm really getting some excitement out of this "trick", and I thank Matthew for creating the concept of this effect.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I'm a bit undecided at the moment as to whether to get this. I'm usually not fussed about method; whatever achieves the end result. But if the method is one possibility in particular, it means I wouldn't be able to perform about half a dozen of my effects :S

Aug 31, 2007
I'm a bit undecided at the moment as to whether to get this. I'm usually not fussed about method; whatever achieves the end result. But if the method is one possibility in particular, it means I wouldn't be able to perform about half a dozen of my effects :S[/QUOTE

With this effect, you can perform other effects with the deck. It just depends on which effects you want to perform. For me personally, I rarely use cards. I created a few different effects that I can perform along with Graphic. But, just know that you can do other effects with this and still be able to perform Graphic.

Matt Mello

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hey Matt, thanks for the quick reply. Hmm, that makes me think a little bit.

That's not exactly what I meant, though - but I don't want to elaborate because I don't want to be fishing for the method (and I don't think it would be possible to answer my question exactly without confirming / ruling out the method). As stated, method isn't usually a concern for me, except that it *may* infringe upon my ability to perform other effects currently in my repertoire.

Thanks again for the response Matt - actually, now that I think about it, I will send you a PM. Please feel entirely free not to reply, I will understand (You'll see when you read it).

Feb 9, 2009
Reno, NV
A few questions if I may..

1. Can the deck be shuffled or mixed?
2. Does it have to be cut or is it possible to memorize the whole deck? XD
Like the same time as you would with the timer?

Aug 31, 2007
The deck has to be cut, you cannot memorize the entire pack. But, the other packet IS used for a nice surprise ending which isn't shown on the demo, Its used in a way that gives the illusion that you memorized the whole thing.

And no, you can't shuffle the entire deck. You can legitimately shuffle part of the deck, but not the other part. So, with one half you can perform normal effects, and then when you want to perform graphic you're set.

Hope this helps.

Matt Mello

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results