Tricks and Flourishes for Beginners

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
For card tricks, start off with either Royal Road to Card Magic or Card College. You'll have a few months of practice material right there, from the two best beginner's card magic books around, period.

For Flourishes, try Xtreme Beginners DVD, I don't know about Showoff with Cards, but you can also get The Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes, possibly the most comprehensive out there.

Jul 14, 2008
For card magic, I strongly recommend Royal Road to Card Magic (personally in my opinion) or Card College Series which both can be buy in Dan and Dave Website

For Flourishing, I recommend going through youtube for the basics of Revolution Cut, Sybil, and Charlier Cut. If you want a dvd, then the trilogy is the best opportunity because on the third disc, it will teach you the basics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 13, 2008
Tacoma, WA
I'd have to agree with everyone that where books are concerned, either Royal Road to Card Magic or Card College would be your best starting place. In terms of DVDs, I'd have to go with Crash Course (ellusionist.com).

Choosing a book has it's advantages and disadvantages to a DVD. I personally would get Royal Road AND Crash Course, provided the money is there.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
The only problem I have with beginners and DVDs: go to YouTube, search Tivo. Look at all the 2000 videos. You know the difference between them? Nothing. They're all the same. Which is what happens when you mass produce DVDs for beginners.

Apr 15, 2009
New Jersey
For tricks, definitely go out and get a copy of The Royal Road to Card Magic, book or DVD, doesn't really matter. I personally used the DVD. Also, another great DVD for beginners is Oz Pearlman's Born to Perform Card Magic. Both of those are great

For flourishes, I can't really say much because I haven't really been much into flourishing, but Xtreme Beginnerz 1&2 by De'vo is pretty good

May 1, 2009
UK
Start with Roberto Giobbi's Card College Vol 1-5 or The Royal Road To Card Magic By Jean Hugard & Frederick Braue. But i would recommend Roberto Giobbi's Card College it's got everything in it including flourishes, these book are for both the beginner & the more experienced card magician. Also its has subjects on the psychology, misdirection & theory, which are just important to learn as the card-sleights themselves i feel especially misdirection. I hope this helps

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results