Softening Coins?

Hi,

I recently got my hands on some Round Silver 50 cent coins from 1966. And I want to know how to make them soft. So they dont 'talk' during performances.
I know you can use sandpaper, what grade sandpaper should I use?

Thanks,
JDEN

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Melbourne
a rough grade to do the initial sanding, then moving to the extremely fine stuff to finish it off. I recommend the use of a file in addition to the sandpaper.

you'd probably want to do some darkening to your coin as well.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I'm not a coin guy really, nor am I a sandpaper expert, so this may be null and void, but wouldn't sandpaper leave nasty scratches on the coins? I'm open for correction here, but I would have thought...

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
It actually doesn't. Surprising, I know, but if you start with say a 60 (rough) and end up with an 800, it gets incredibly smooth. If you just use a file, that will probably end up rough (unless you do a VERY good job, and even then)...

Aug 23, 2008
you'd probably want to do some darkening to your coin as well.

I always wanted to know, how do you darken your coins ? I know homer liwag mentioned a way in his cointwo dvd but he didn't go into details of that. If someone can help it would be really appreciated!

Jul 8, 2008
Talking coins are just something you have to overcome. Plus, that coin is a really new one too, it would be unnatural to see a coin in such bad condition like that. Most people who have never seen a coin like that before will just assume you are a coin colelctor and coin collector's keep their coins in good condition, unless they are super old.

Sep 1, 2007
Melbourne
well 1966 isn't all that new
besides, most people won't even have seen a round silver 50c piece before.

Anyway, you use a sulfur solution (liver of sulfur) to darken the coins so they have an aged effect.
You can buy it commercially.
After you darken it, you'll have to polish out some bits that you want to highlight, such as the designs in the coin (the higher peak bits).
I suggest the use of a dremel or some 3M polishing cloth.

good luck.

Talking coins are just something you have to overcome. Plus, that coin is a really new one too, it would be unnatural to see a coin in such bad condition like that. Most people who have never seen a coin like that before will just assume you are a coin colelctor and coin collector's keep their coins in good condition, unless they are super old.
How is 1966, a really new coin? :-S
Thanks Amane, Ill try that.

JDEN

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results