A Review of Every Deck I've Ever Owned

May 31, 2008
For centuries, magicians have been searching for the ultimate deck of cards. Ok, maybe not centuries, but for a while. I decided to make this review of every deck I've owned.

First, let me describe what I will be grading:

Finish: How smooth the deck is out of ten, ten being the highest

Stock: The thickness of each individual card and how it works for them. Ten is the highest

Design: How good the cards look. Ten is the highest.

Durability: How long the cards last.

Suspicions to Spectators: How suspicious looking the deck is to spectators. Ten being extremely suspicious.

Value for the Money: Is it worth the money? Ten being well worth it

1. Bicycles:

Finish: Much smoother than most decks on the market. Could be improved though 7/10

Stock: Pretty flimsy, could be improved greatly 5/10

Design: Nothing special, a pretty basic design. 5/10

Durability: They bend pretty easily, and lose the ability to fan after being dropped a few times. 5/10

Suspicion to Spectators: These are the cards that most laymen see. They are not suspicious at all. 0/10

Value for Money: A little over $2.00 at most stores. Well worth it. 8/10

2. Bees

Finish: Much smoother than most decks on the market. Could be improved though 7/10

Stock: Pretty flimsy, could be improved greatly 6/10

Design: Extremely boring design. 2/10

Durability: They bend pretty easily, and lose the ability to fan after being dropped a few times. 5/10

Suspicion to Spectators: Pretty basic cards, so they don't draw much suspicion. 2/10

Value for Money: Not worth the extra cash. 3/10

3. Black Tigers

Finish: Way smoother than regular bikes. 8/10

Stock: Slightly thicker than regular bikes. 7.5/10

Design: Totally cool-looking cards. However they could be a little, "blacker." 7/1 7.5/10

Durability: These lasted me a little longer than most bikes, but still not crazy long. 7/10

Suspicion to Spectators: They will want to examine these extensively, very suspicious. 7/10

Value for Money: The price could be brought down a little bit.

Note: I've noticed that these cards are slightly smaller than most poker-sized decks.

4. Vintage 1800s

Stock: Slightly thicker than regular bikes 5/10

Design: Extremely cool looking. One of my favorite E designs 9/10

Suspicion to Spectators: Most people actually think that these are aged cards. Not very suspicious, just cool. 4/10

Value for Money: A little too expensive for me. 6/10

5. Bicycle Masters:

Finish: Very, very smooth. Almost a little too slippery at times: 7.5/10

Stock: Same as the finish, thick, almost too thick. 7.5/10

Design: Same as regular bikes, nothing special.

Design: Nothing special, a pretty basic design. 5/10

Durability: Very durable cards, they last a good, long time. 8/10

Suspicion to Spectators: These are the cards that most laymen see. They are not suspicious at all. 0/10

Value for Money: A very good value. A $0.50 price drop would be nice though. 8.5/10

6. Ghost Deck

Design: Kind of a cool idea, but I think E could've done it a little better. A little boring in my opinion. The Ace of Spades is the best out there though. 6.5/10

Suspicion to Spectators: A little more suspicious than regular bikes, but not nearly as suspicious as Black Tigers.

Value for Money: A pretty fair price. Could be cheaper tough. 8/10

7. Shadow Masters:

Design: Kind of a cool idea, but I think E could've done it a little better. I notice a lot of bad quality printing due to how much black ink was put on these things. The clubs and spades look awful. 6.5/10

Suspicion to Spectators: Extremely suspicous. These are the most suspicous looking cards I own. 9/10

8. Bicycle Guardians:

Finish: The same as regular bikes, but still pretty good in my opinion. 7/10

Stock: Could be slightly thicker. Other than that, great. 8/10

Design: Great looking cards, however the white borders make them look a little cheap. I would like maybe some off-white borders. The artwork is incredible. 7.5/10

Durability: Better than expected. Can survive being dropped a few more times than regular bikes, and don't bend easily. 7.5/10

Suspicion to Spectators: Suspcious, but not nearly as much as the Shadow Masters or Black Tigers. 6/10

Value for Money: I would appreciate a dollar price drop. 7/10

9. Bicycle Centurions:

Finish: Supposedly the same as regular bikes, but I think they're a little bit better. 7.5/10

Stock: Not to thin, not too thick, just the way I like it. The best stock out there. 10/10

Design: A cool design, but not too loud. I like them. 8/10

Suspicion to Spectators: Not as incognito as bikes, but still pretty normal looking. 5/10

Value for Money: The best deck I've ever used. Totally worth $4.95. 9/10.

Bottom Line: Unless you can get your hands on a free deck of Jerry's Nuggets, Bicycle Centurions and Masters are the way to go.

I love Centurions. They're my go-to deck.

I will add more if I buy anymore decks.

Please alert me if I missed a certain grade on any deck.

I might get a deck of Split Spades soon, so be on the lookout for a review.

If anyone is selling White Centurions, please send me a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 22, 2008
i feel so discraced, I have never owned a deck of tally-hos! And IM A CARD MAGICIAN! Vipers i would not count since i consider every E deck the same stock and feel way to thick for me. But I might have to pick a deck or two up of tally's next time i visit the shop.

-Jake

Feb 9, 2009
Reno, NV
I'm not quite sure why you rate high for being suspicious, it should be the opposite in my general opinion.

And Vipers are much different than regular Tally-Hos, they're as thick as Shadow Masters.

May 31, 2008
I'm not quite sure why you rate high for being suspicious, it should be the opposite in my general opinion.

And Vipers are much different than regular Tally-Hos, they're as thick as Shadow Masters.

The more suspicious they are, the higher I rate them on the suspicion scale.

You're right that Vipers are different than Tally-Hos. It sort of slipped my mind. I haven't looked at them much.

Nov 10, 2008
Upstate NY
I personally feel that these reviews are completely bias.

I mean your seeming to only look at one quality of the deck, when you do different things with a deck. Bees are amazing for False deals and shuffles try those with other cards, and they don't look as good!

It also seems you fell into the habit of buying whatever new E deck comes out...which is a horrible trend to fall into. Get a brick of Tally's, and Arrco's, and then a see how your opinions on E decks are.

Apr 28, 2008
I don't really understand how you can use a numerical rating in this situation, especially when there's so many categories. It's just so arbitrary.

Bees are 20% more suspicious than Bicycles and Black Tigers are 30% more suspicious than 1800's? How could you possibly work that out?

Also, as you've never owned Tally's and as soon as somebody mentioned them you immediately think of Vipers...That makes me think you're a little too obsessed with custom decks. As somebody else mentioned, you didn't bother to mention the value of Bees in performing gambling sleights, which is one of their main uses.

Mar 31, 2009
I'm somewhat new to the world of magic, been into it since the first of the year.
personally i have not purchased and E-decks. I have a gang of bicycles and 1 tally deck 1 bee deck. My local shop had some split spades so i grabbed a deck, I also ordered a propaganda deck. But in my opinion anything that isn't red or blue bicycles, people are suspicious of. So I stick to bikes.

i also have a Karnival deck.

Sep 20, 2008
I think Split spades has the best stock. Rivals S&M. But as the others have mentioned, im surprised you didnt say tallies, cause they rank number three in my preferred decks- list.

Yes, im baiting for a "THIS DECK IS 10 TIMES BETTER THAN THAT DECK" war.

Do i get banned for that? my bad.

May 31, 2008
No need to burn him, he is just saying his opinion. If he thinks cards often cause suspicion then he is just putting his thoughts on it.

Exactly, that's what a review is. Stating my opinion.

personally feel that these reviews are completely bias.

I mean your seeming to only look at one quality of the deck, when you do different things with a deck. Bees are amazing for False deals and shuffles try those with other cards, and they don't look as good!

It also seems you fell into the habit of buying whatever new E deck comes out...which is a horrible trend to fall into. Get a brick of Tally's, and Arrco's, and then a see how your opinions on E decks are.

I do not do gambling sleights, so that's why I didn't give the Bees a very good review.

I've never actually owned the Ghost Deck, I actually used what a friend of mine who does own them said.

maybe, but not 8 dollars better. I've never tried.

Bicycle Masters are actually $4.00.

I'm somewhat new to the world of magic, been into it since the first of the year.
personally i have not purchased and E-decks. I have a gang of bicycles and 1 tally deck 1 bee deck. My local shop had some split spades so i grabbed a deck, I also ordered a propaganda deck. But in my opinion anything that isn't red or blue bicycles, people are suspicious of. So I stick to bikes.

i also have a Karnival deck.

Try not to jump on the custom deck bandwagon like I did when I started magic. Bicycles and maybe masters are good cards. You don't really need the other cards unless you use them in a routine. That's what I do with the Shadow Masters and the 1800s.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 31, 2008
Hey guys, I just got some Tally-Hos and some Split Spades. Best cards. Smoother than air-cushion, but not slippery like UV500. Slightly thicker than bikes but not as thick as E decks (good for me) These are my new favorite decks taking down Centurions. I prefer the design of Split Spades, but they're the same decks with different designs, but Tallies are cheaper.

Jun 13, 2008
Tacoma, WA

Vipers are not as thick as Shadow Masters. They are thick though. About the same as Tigers.

I used black decks all the time without anyone getting suspicious. Whether they think it's a fake deck has to do with presentation. After all, everyone sees 318463184 different decks all the time now. Walk into your local Wal-Mart. How many decks do you see? Off the top of my head, I can think of 8 that just say bicycle, not to mention the other brands they sell. I can't remember who, but someone in the Ellusionist forums said it well; You have to wear the deck, not have the deck wear you.

Apr 22, 2009
My opinion on Ellusionist's. They are very thick but once you've "broken em in" they feel good. They're still "thicker" but will do what you want. Do a bunch of dribbles and springs every day till they feel right.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results