What new name will you use in your magic?

I was actually discussing this today :D
I have a crappy stage name, 'Josh Tredinnick,' BLEK! I need a new one :)
Some people... Ahem... *Tom* just have perfect names that they don't need to change.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
I have a name that my specator's actaully gave me. lol

Mine is J.Mag. (pronounced as Jay-maaj)

Some others also call me Magic Man, but I think that's corny, but, eh, it still works. lol

That all depends on what your stage character is.
But trust me there is nothing better than being with your own name.

I present myself as Mikk Pärg, Americans pronounce it "Mike/Mikk(they get it right sometimes) Pjarg"

Anyways, try to leave your name as it is, if its special eg. sounds funny than keep it and protect it. If your name is different than others you will be remember better than eg. Mike, Stan orsmth. There are alot of those in the world.

But its a free choice for everyone,

cheers
Mikk

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
My last name kind of goes with what I do.
Dan Tripi -> (it's pronounced as "Trippy")

So I think I should be good, but I'd rather focus on magic rather than my future stage name for now.

Oct 13, 2008
My stage name is Sean Altayr Skyhawk. It's more or less of a fursona, too, since he looks like a black-clothed anthropomorphic bald eagle. Joshua Jay knows better, but it's prolly the only name I ever use online anyway. It doesn't pay to reveal your name on the Internets.

That all depends on what your stage character is.
But trust me there is nothing better than being with your own name.

I present myself as Mikk Pärg, Americans pronounce it "Mike/Mikk(they get it right sometimes) Pjarg"

Anyways, try to leave your name as it is, if its special eg. sounds funny than keep it and protect it. If your name is different than others you will be remember better than eg. Mike, Stan orsmth. There are alot of those in the world.

But its a free choice for everyone,

cheers
Mikk

I disagree. I don't think it's always good to keep your own name. I believe that it is important to be yourself onstage, I don't think that necessarily translates to using your own name.

I can list you four famous magicians who use a Pseudonym.

1) Harry Houdini
2) Max Mavin
3) Harry Blackstone Sr.
4) Chung Ling Soo

Of course some stage names are derived out of necessity for character; such as mine. Frankly my real name wouldn't fit as well with the dark persona I portray on stage. I think that you really need to consider all the options before you decide to use a stage name. If you do happen to think that a stage name would be good for you, then make sure it's a name that fits your act and persona.

Also, I should be careful to point out that if you do create a name and or character it is important to sacrifice yourself to it. By that I mean you need to live up to that name/image the best you can.

Example: Max Mavin. Max isn't his real first name. Mavin isn't his last for that matter. His name by birth was Phil Goldsteine. However if you ever meet him, he introduces himself as Max. He's become that character.

It's like the twin characters from the movie "The Prestige." They had to sacrifice a lot to keep up the image of their character.

Also, by performing under a pseudonym you gain the ability to easily describe your act to potential interested bookers without real fear of sounding self absorbed or like you're tooting your own horn. For some reason it's just a natural inhibition to talk about ones own self, but discussing a characters act is almost like discussing a third party all together thusly defeating the inhibition.

Aug 24, 2008
Mines Andrew because most people can not pronounce my last name right. And if they do it sounds like they are trying to hard. So Andrew

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
Well mine is Michael Weiss, not my real name, but something I came up with looking up some magic history. Im sure you can see my reference for my last name. But its funny, ive been called all sorts of weird names an bizarre watcha ma callits over the years....magic man....card man...criss angels baby....magik mike....that card guy....david blaine....that kid that does some crazy sh!t...the guy who can levitate..etc..there have been even worse names ive been called but i wont mention them...lol

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
i have many names around campus. they include

magic guy

card guy

magic man

crazy mo fo with the card stuff

the taco bell wizard

that arm trick guy

and my personal favorite *given to me by a very nice group of ladies* "That sexy guy with the really fast hands

Jul 8, 2008
Mark Tirone, or commonly refered to as Magic Marker. Oh HA HA, my name is in the word marker -_-. Give me a plus if are always being called Magic Man lol.

Mar 3, 2008
Sweden
I have been thinking about this for a while now and I'll stick with; Tjackpundaren. It sound awesome and people can easy tell who I am and what I prefer to do when I'm at home and just cleaning my nails. Actually I prefer heroine but that's another story...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results