One of the most RARE deck of cards...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 10, 2007
I now hold as want I believe the ONLY unopened deck of Fan Back vintage design that was printed back in about 1894. I have been talking to many dealers and they have said it is not possible there are NONE left, well they are wrong I have the last one I believe.
So my question is anyone hear a hard-core collector and could tell me the value.

May 31, 2008
I don't know, I believe him.

Although it's sort of weird that he posted this only a few days after the SNC about vintage cards.

If he's telling the truth (I think so) then good for him. Have fun with them.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
I now hold as want I believe the ONLY unopened deck of Fan Back vintage design that was printed back in about 1894. I have been talking to many dealers and they have said it is not possible there are NONE left, well they are wrong I have the last one I believe.
So my question is anyone hear a hard-core collector and could tell me the value.

If dealers (who are likely to know more than someone who can't figure out a price for these cards) don't think you have the only deck like it, why do you? What proof or evidence is there that you own the last unopened one? There could be HUNDREDS more, or yours may not even be real, and all you are trying to persuade us with is your opinion. If the dealers don't think there are any left, then you either haven't shown them yours or they don't believe yours is legit.

Not bashing you man, just want to see some evidence for the bold claim you make.

Sep 3, 2007

5 dollars. What else do you want to hear?

ONE MiLLION Dollars. Thanks for playing. It's not a 1st ed. Black Ghost dude. It is not a Jerry Nuggs bro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 10, 2007
If dealers (who are likely to know more than someone who can't figure out a price for these cards) don't think you have the only deck like it, why do you? What proof or evidence is there that you own the last unopened one? There could be HUNDREDS more, or yours may not even be real, and all you are trying to persuade us with is your opinion. If the dealers don't think there are any left, then you either haven't shown them yours or they don't believe yours is legit.

Not bashing you man, just want to see some evidence for the bold claim you make.

I completely understand what you are saying but unfortunately there is no way of me proving I am getting a video up of it on vimeo right now and I will post a link. Obviously there is no way of me even knowing if it is real unless I open it up, I truly believe this is real though.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
D00d, you're about as funny as cancer, lol. Sorry. What I find funny is you thinking that this would be funny.

Apart from that being completely inappropriate (and no, you're not sorry, but I know people who have suffered from cancer, as I'm sure a number of us do) what's the point trying to make fun of him? Either he'll eventually come up with some sort of proof, or he won't, big deal.

Nov 10, 2007
Apart from that being completely inappropriate (and no, you're not sorry, but I know people who have suffered from cancer, as I'm sure a number of us do) what's the point trying to make fun of him? Either he'll eventually come up with some sort of proof, or he won't, big deal.

I really dont know anyway to know if it is 100% real and unopened I am thinking about sending it up to the USPCC so they can have a much better look and what ever they say I will go with.

Jan 28, 2009
[EDITED - No need for this type of negativity. As opposed to deleting your entire post, I thought I'd just edit the segment in question.]

For the record, -clear- plastic (like the wrap displayed on his video) was invented in 1908, by Brandenburger, meaning these cards definitely do -NOT- date from 1894, as clear plastic wrap hadn't been invented at that point, so sorry to shed the light of basic historical knowledge on this one.

Also the USPC did not start using the term '808' do name its cards until after 1894, significantly so, you could just read their web site.

It's worth pointing out that they started printing them in 'Bicycle' "New Fan Back" boxes much later once again. In 1894, they were largely created in a 'Caravan' box. It's also worth pointing out that these were printed right through to the late 1960s, and then were re-printed until about 1974. I have a brick of those cards that I picked up for 19 bucks a box.

You can also check the stamp on the deck. The presence of a tax stamp would indicate they were manufactured prior to 1964, but you should be able to see what the rate of tax was on that deck of cards (its on the stamp.)

The only sure fire way of knowing is to open it and pull out the Ace of Sapdes and you need to see if the address printed on it has a ZIP code, and what the date code is on that card. (It's a letter largely.)

Basically this isn't rocket science. I'm no expert, but this is stuff that I just picked up over the years.

Also there are about 2 thousand forums for people collecting cards that would be able to accurately date them for you.

You have an old looking box of cards, but to assume they're from 1894 despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary then posting it on a forum where realistically no one is going to know is just the kind of circle jerk that seems to get you off, but serves no purpose for the community, but whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 19, 2007
LMAO! my grandparents have 2 decks of those!!! and a golden nugget deck that they've f**ked up over the years playing poker with them. I just never thought they were that rare.....

Jan 28, 2009
That's because they're not, lol. At -ALL-

There were literally hundreds of editions of these in a variety of boxes produced right through to the late sixties, mid seventies, and they are extremely common. You can pick them up on E-bay on the cheap.

He's just assued he has some first edition bikes.....for some reason.....which is just baffling.

It's like me pulling a rock out of the ground and saying I found the first rock ever made on the entire planet.

Typical pre-pubesant over-reaction.....but there ya go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results