Essential reading materials?

Mar 24, 2009
Southampton, UK
Hi there,

Im looking for any books people can recommend to get me going in learning close up up magic. So far I've got:

The expert at the card table - Erdnase
The royal road to card magic - Hugard
Modern Coin magic - Bobo

Ive tried looking for some specifics but I'm a littler overwhelmed by all the material out there. Any personal recommendations would be great.

Thanks

Kalam

Sep 1, 2007
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic is a gold mine. Definitely go for it.

And if you're thinking of dabbling in mental magic and mentalism, you're not going to get any better than Bob Cassidy's ebook Fundamentals.

Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic is a gold mine. Definitely go for it.

And if you're thinking of dabbling in mental magic and mentalism, you're not going to get any better than Bob Cassidy's ebook Fundamentals.

I second the first one.

And wouldn't most people recommend 13 Steps to Mentalism? Correct me if I'm wrong because I've done no research into the mentalism area, I'm just going by what I've seen and read on forums.

Cheers, Tom

Sep 1, 2007
And wouldn't most people recommend 13 Steps to Mentalism? Correct me if I'm wrong because I've done no research into the mentalism area, I'm just going by what I've seen and read on forums.

They usually say that because it's the first mentalism book they ever bought and has a ton of trick in it.

Dr. Bob's Fundamentals covers just that. Tricks, performance theory, group psychology, holding a crowd, suspending disbelief, thematic routining, handling of gimmicks, etc. There is also an appendix called 39 Steps that lists 39 texts on mentalism that are essential to the working performer and why they are must-haves.

Sep 3, 2007
Hi there,

Im looking for any books people can recommend to get me going in learning close up up magic. So far I've got:

The expert at the card table - Erdnase
The royal road to card magic - Hugard
Modern Coin magic - Bobo

Ive tried looking for some specifics but I'm a littler overwhelmed by all the material out there. Any personal recommendations would be great.

Thanks

Kalam

Just look around online or in your local book store, or magic store. You will know when you see a book that you like. Buy it, and practice the material. Get used to it. We don't always have the best opinions.

Sep 1, 2007
For years, I have been imploring magicians to get the complete
Tarbell Course in Magic. Harlan Tarbell teaches in this course how to become a real magician. As he says right in the beginning of Volume One, “One can give medicine to a friend, but that does not make him a doctor.” Tarbell trains people to be real magicians knowing the mechanics and fundamentals of magic.

Far too many young performers think that mastering magic is learning just sleights and words. Studying Tarbell teaches you what it is really all about. When you understand the total concept of what it means to be a magician, you will act and perform accordingly. When you do, your audience will recognize you as a skilled performer and give you the attention and respect necessary to work your miracles.

Mar 24, 2009
Southampton, UK
Just look around online or in your local book store, or magic store. You will know when you see a book that you like. Buy it, and practice the material. Get used to it. We don't always have the best opinions.

Hey man, appreciate your comments but I always value the opinion of someone who's read the books themselves rather than a salesperson whose job it is to sell the book they know nothing about :)

As for seeing a book that I like, I've seen lots of magic books I like but at a quick glance they are quite broad so I can't really judge the depth to which they would teach me from a 5 minute browse and I'm sure most people would agree with that.

Not meant as a dig, just clearing up why I'm looking for recommendations. So if you have any, post away!

Paul Harris - The Art Of Astonishment Books
I'd look into Lennart Green. I love the Snap Deal.
Dai Vernon - More Inner Secrets Of Card Magic & Ultimate Secrets Of Card Magic
Chris Kenner - Totally Out Of Control

Just naming what i've been looking into lately. Hope something helps.

Sep 3, 2007
Hey man, appreciate your comments but I always value the opinion of someone who's read the books themselves rather than a salesperson whose job it is to sell the book they know nothing about :)

As for seeing a book that I like, I've seen lots of magic books I like but at a quick glance they are quite broad so I can't really judge the depth to which they would teach me from a 5 minute browse and I'm sure most people would agree with that.

Not meant as a dig, just clearing up why I'm looking for recommendations. So if you have any, post away!

Well it looks like from your other books you're into cards. One of my favorites is 52 memories by Andi Gladwin.

Nov 30, 2007
Many of the books listed are indeed very good but try to remember not to buy too many. I would stick with those books until you have really dissected them piece by piece and not over look anything. Then move onto some of the other books listed. A magician could easily spend a lifetime practicing all the work in Expert at the Card Table...not to say many want to do that but there is much to learn in those books you mentioned in your first post that you have.

Sep 3, 2007
I picked up Royal Road To Card Magic today, i cant wait to gain it's knowledge.

Don't be put off by the strange language in there. It is a great resource. Sometimes it could be hard to learn from. Just stick with it...

There is another oldschool Hugard book called Hugard's Magic Manual. One of the first books on magic I got and there is some good stuff in there. If you're interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 3, 2007
I'm gonna read it word or word, front to back. Thanks for the advice.

If you're just starting out with card magic you should take each section as a lesson. Stop, practice. Read, Stop, practice etc. That's how it is laid out. It isn't intended to read cover to cover. But do so at your own pace. The thing that is beautiful about the book is it teaches you how to take your time with each technique. If you rush it you'll be missing all of that heavenly glory.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results