Underground magic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 20, 2009
Myrtle Beach
I thnk that because criss angel having his own show and having like million episodes of bull **** now it gets lil one interested. Rather david blaine and his like 5 tv appearences i like how hes modest about it, Real magicians dont like to much attention and exposure to his art .and all i was saying is C Angel is attracting to many wana be magicians. Thats why when i perform i dont do anybody elses exact routines, use alot of slieghts and rarely use gimmicks or even any gaffs i keep it simple and hard to figure out so those lil kids who are not serious about magic cant figure them out and start up magic as a hobby.Sorry to all rookie magis but this is a big boy game and it should be respected.

Sep 1, 2007
I thnk that because criss angel having his own show and having like million episodes of bull **** now it gets lil one interested.

If I'm reading this right, you're pissed off that kids are getting into magic.

Real magicians dont like to much attention and exposure to his art

Kvlt kiddie syndrome.

Thats why when i perform i dont do anybody elses exact routines, use alot of slieghts and rarely use gimmicks or even any gaffs i keep it simple and hard to figure out

A common symptom of kvlt kiddie syndrome is the disdain for any and all gimmicks and a haughty conceit on the virtue of sleight of hand over everything else.

Sorry to all rookie magis but this is a big boy game and it should be respected.

Translation: Screw you all.

I've been holding back, but I'm just going to say it. For all you're babbling about the elite versus the rabble, I somehow doubt you are among the elite yourself. You can talk a big game (at least, I think you can), but I'd be very surprised if your magic is anywhere near as good as you think it is.

He wants a new site that people have to be accepted into.
yeah i agree.....

i kinda get what you are talking about...i do think that theory 11 can be better, if they allow skill levels to certain parts...like a beginner/advance/ and novice.....somethign like that....so i'm not too far away from you...but to have one where you can be accepted, thats a bit of a stretch...you wanna spread the art of magic...not just keep it to a certain group of exclusives...its up to us (magicians) and the experts here at theory 11 to keep continuing on creating new stuff so whats new to the lower level magicians, is old to higher level magicians...

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
all im saying is magicians should be seperated to one and another with diff skill level .

If we are only exposed to people of the same skill level, how do we improve? Trying to start a magic apartheid is not a good idea anyway, as it will only cause bitterness and recrimination. How would you feel if you were told "you're a noob, you can't use the same forum as us"?

Jul 12, 2008
Kendal
Just to point out - if every magician on any given forum were equally as good as every other; what would be the point? Sure they could help one another but no-one would ...grow in the same way. It would make a lot less sense. Besides if we were going to start chucking out the newbies and little ones that can't keep up, I daresay that you, BigreD would be the first to go.
Sorry. Read some good threads and get a clue. Look up Morgician, William Draven, Praetoritevong and Steerpike.

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
The internet killed what used to be known as the "underground". Tricks and effects would circulate and be taught across the country verrrry slowly. It would start with Vernon or Marlo or whoever and work it's way over (and vice versa). However, we live in an instant gratification society where we can get a new trick INSTANTLY. No waiting. No rumor mill of this thing you saw. (ok I lie a bit. There is still that BUT it's not like it used to be)

There was a time when VHS cassettes would be traded and copied and bandied around. (Anyone here ever seen the original cooking with lee Asher?) The best way to keep anything underground is to A: put it in print and 2. Don't fooking show magicians or gawd forbid SELL IT!!

Nothing you do on the net is underground. Face it. Love it. Learn from it.

Apr 20, 2009
Myrtle Beach
when you boys grow up and become doctors machanics football players w/e you may be ill be here still doing magic and to me magic is more special srry if i come off as a dick

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 20, 2009
Myrtle Beach
If we are only exposed to people of the same skill level, how do we improve? Trying to start a magic apartheid is not a good idea anyway, as it will only cause bitterness and recrimination. How would you feel if you were told "you're a noob, you can't use the same forum as us"?

ummmm well im not i got ten years of performing under my belt but if i were id be more determined to become one of them!

Sep 1, 2007
when you boys grow up and become doctors machanics football players w/e you may be ill be here still doing magic and to me magic is more special srry if i come off as a ****

What the **** are you on about?

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
I think that a site where people have to be accepted will also add competitivity and will the increase level of magic on the site.

But so would a community with standards.

I mean, you guys realize we can, whenever we want, improve our magic drastically? We can make it a million billion times better? You don't need a special admittance only community or anything like that - all you have to do is practice and think! The more you practice, the better you get. The more you think - and I know this sounds sort of obvious, but some people don't seem to get it - the more thought goes into your magic. It gets more creative, more original, more interactive, more beautiful, more artistic, and more fun when you apply your imagination to the craft instead of mindlessly allowing other magicians to do that for you.

yeah i do actully i dont think performing magic should be experienced by millions all round the world its taking the magic out of it when everyone knows so much of the magic secrets and scince there capable of doing the trick and deff fooling most.and now were comin up with new slieghts that all these laymen now learn and watch criss angel now all of a sudden they too want to do magic indeed this is a art and a respected one by the artists who perform and are consistant and would actully become a professional magician for a living

You don't think magic performances should be experienced all around the world? Or are you saying you don't think there should be so many performers, or what, here? I think you're really embellishing exposure, the way the majority of magicians do. I don't think people even watch Mindfreak anymore, it's gone from flashy magic to just one big joke. Criss has jumped the shark on a motorcycle that explodes, and when it lands he's not on it anymore.

The notion that everyone is going to jump on the magic bandwagon is really silly, but, alas, I know a single person who fits this description! One person who got into magic. He performed for his family and friends, a very eager showman with sloppy sleights and little knowledge aside from Youtube tutorials. Guess how many shows he's had, or how many strangers he's performed magic for? Yep - not a one. The fact that you have to be good at magic to have a successful show (or even a show at all, for that matter) limits these bad magicians who don't respect the art and actually harm the careers of professional magicians. It just doesn't happen, and if it does by some rare accident, not on the scope you seem to envision.

That friend of mine got bored with magic after a few months and has never looked back. It would seem that the craft takes dedication, sacrifice, practice, and imagination - and bad magicians don't have these. Eventually, they'll realize that this actually takes effort and get turned off. And if that doesn't happen? Then they advance, slowly but surely.

Apr 20, 2009
Myrtle Beach
either u get it or u dont

lol these forums are kinda fun but im not exactly good add it so much nor am i good at talking through text but ill continue my journey and u enjoy ur'sand its cool if you dont understand good luck to all and there magic conjuring!

Apr 20, 2009
Myrtle Beach
one more thing!

so one more thing to think about when you look back at everything you have done to help and to advance in w/e your deffinition of magic is ask yourself "Are you a magician? or are you playing a magician? " this is what Garrett thomas had asked me after jammin i took that and many other tools that i used and now i have alot of things that i discover everyday about myself and how to be best i can. hahaha one more quote Brian Tudor "Its an artform you dumb mother ****ers" srry i thought thats so funny so serious at the same time:p

Sep 1, 2007
What is kvlt kiddie syndrome? I feel pretty stupid not knowing.

The term was coined a few years ago by the admins of the Metal Archives wiki.

It's a recurring joke among metalheads that people who enjoy the sub-genre of black metal refer to things they like with words such kvlt, br00tal, and necro. Kvlt in particular is sometimes used to describe things that are obscure, which for metal purists is equated with good.

Black metal moreso than any other genre has a strongly anti-mainstream ethos. So strong in fact as to be detrimental to the survival of the scene by preventing new blood from being rotated in.

A couple years back, a whole bunch of black metal bands emailed the admins of Metal Archives, demanding that their band profiles be removed from the website because having an internet presence was too mainstream. They claimed they had to remain obscure to preserve their musical integrity. The admins responded by laughing at them and calling them kvlt kiddiez.

So kvlt kiddie syndrome is my little name for the attitude people adopt when they don't want to share the table with anybody and become so anti-mainstream that they risk starving their craft due to a lack of newbies being regularly rotated in.

Mar 22, 2009
I've never really understood the phrase "Underground Magic". Surely magic is a performance art, meaning that you are performing for audiences.

If something is being performed, should it really be considered underground?

The often used phrase "Underground Magician" seems a bit strange to me. Often you see this on the hype for new products. There would seem to be two options:

1. The material / effect being released has been performed for real audiences and has been tested and refined. This isn't really underground now, is it? People have seen it, so it's not truly underground.

2. The material / effect being released hasn't been performed for real audiences, and hasn't been tested or refined. Sure, it's underground, but it's never been tried for real people. I wouldn't want to purchase this product.

Underground Magic is a marketing tool used to encourage a sense of rarity and edge to a product, when for the most part none exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results