Card Genre's

Apr 20, 2009
Myrtle Beach
who here does mostly card tricks rather than flourishes? i do some flourishes but i think that it should be one or the other cause i believe if you dont want laymen to understand how the illusions work you shouldnt show them flashy moves ,cause they then say if they can do all that card flippin and twistin its easy to understand how they do tricks..........n e body agree? we all have are own opinions and are own deffinitions of what magic is right?........................sorry for my illiteracy ,just another thing that got in the way of my magic lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
i do some flourishes but i think that it should be one or the other cause i believe if you dont want laymen to understand how the illusions work you shouldnt show them flashy moves ,cause they then say if they can do all that card flippin and twistin its easy to understand how they do tricks..........n e body agree?

Thats what we learn when we first begin learning magic. And it depends on what tricks you do. If you have the face of another card burnt onto another one that cant be seen as sleight of hand by them now would it?

Like ive said before,theres nothing wrong with a flourish or two.After all, its kinda expected. The audience knows you've handled this stuff before.They figure you've got to be an 'expert' with cards or coins.
But you dont want their awe at your technical prowess to overshadow the magic trick itself.You dont want them to think after seeing you do your Sybil variation "well if he can do that he can do anything with cards".Thats why(if you must)flourish after the magic is done. Then they say "woah he does great magic,and he's good with cards"

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
who here does mostly card tricks rather than flourishes? i do some flourishes but i think that it should be one or the other cause i believe if you dont want laymen to understand how the illusions work you shouldnt show them flashy moves ,cause they then say if they can do all that card flippin and twistin its easy to understand how they do tricks..........n e body agree? we all have are own opinions and are own deffinitions of what magic is right?........................sorry for my illiteracy ,just another thing that got in the way of my magic lol

IMO, magic is complemented well with small, smooth flourishes. The flashiness can detract from magic, and like everyone else said, makes them contribute all of the magic to those sort of moves.
Little flourishes that flow well with the routine seem to help get the laymens attention, but not distract them from the show.

Apr 20, 2009
Myrtle Beach
im glad you agree , and deff l use some flourishes for presentation but ill use more difficult cuts and flourishes for hand exercises. But id rather focus on the illusion of the effect that im trying to portrait<im really bad at literacy> ne way i like gimmicks too just not to flashy of an effect thats to out there i like to keep my routines very natural simple but strong and an awesome time lol

Jul 8, 2008
Tintagel
im glad you agree , and deff l use some flourishes for presentation but ill use more difficult cuts and flourishes for hand exercises. But id rather focus on the illusion of the effect that im trying to portrait<im really bad at literacy> ne way i like gimmicks too just not to flashy of an effect thats to out there i like to keep my routines very natural simple but strong and an awesome time lol

How would flourishes add to your presentation, they don't really add any critical misdirection nor do they help with technique, if you are just talking about springing the cards then I agree, as it is classed as one of the best openers, but have you ever palmed a card from a sybil? How do you use flourishes effectively which ones do you perform and when, give us an example.

Matt

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results