What the general public thinks about magic exposure...

baller08

Banned
Sep 21, 2008
For this little informal survey I thought asking my family and friends would get a bias answer. So I asked people that I barely knew or didn't know at all.

The question simply was, "When I say the word "magic" or "magician", what is the first thing that comes to mind?"

The answers ranged from:

1) David Blaine
2) Criss Angel
3) "That masked guy that was showing how to do stuff"
4) Clown/kid magic
5) "A corny magician I saw at a cruise, hotel, carnival"
6) "My friends/family member's kid/nephew/cousin is into magic"
7) Penn and Teller

I surveyed about 40-50 people ( a small number in the world of surveys) in the age range of early 20's to early 40's. And not one person said anything about YouTube exposure or magic being ruined. Also, not one person attributed magic as being "cool" or "awesome"....unless they were talking about David Blaine and to some degree Criss Angel.

There is a YouTube video, which I'm sure most have saw, of David Copperfield talking about YouTube exposure. The interviewer asked him what he thought of it and he shrugged his shoulders and basically said, "The internet has been around far longer than YouTube and people have been trying to find out my methods for years".

He went on to say that he simply has 3 or 4 methods to do any one illusion. In short, it was no big deal to the greatest magician of our time. If anyone should be offended, it's him, but he's not.

I think that a lot of magicians here are in an uproar over YouTube exposure not because it ruins the art, but because they feel it ruins their feeling of being "special". Because seriously, it doesn't ruin the art to the people that matter; the general public, the people that we actually perform for.

If anything magic is being ruined by magicians who do not engage the audience in a fun, casual manner. We try to set ourselves apart so much that we become a society of weirdos and freaks instead of just normal, cool, engaging people who just happen to have an interesting facet to our personality.

So the point is? Articles like this one: http://magic.about.com/b/2007/04/06/a-little-respect-for-magic-nerds.htm

.....represents the perception that is "ruining" magic, not YouTube exposure. Only we care about that, the general public does not.

Guys like Copperfield, Blaine, Angel have done their part in changing people's perception of magic and magicians. We can do our part too and spending time lobbying for videos to come off of YouTube so we can keep our position of "power" is not going to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 13, 2008
I wholeheartedly agree. I'm so glad that there is someone else who shares my view...so glad. :)

With that said, I still think Youtube videos and torrents are wrong--and they are hurting the magic industry--but, I don't believe they are ruining magic in the eyes of the spectators, like you mentioned. :)

baller08

Banned
Sep 21, 2008
Hey CM...I didn't mention this in my original post because I didn't want to go down an entirely different topic, but I completely agree that exposure hurts the industry financially, especially the artist who put out great work.

This is no different than the music industry taking a big hit when Napster came out and now Limewire and all the torrent sites out there.

Sep 1, 2007
Philippines
Wow. Reading your post opened my eyes to a new perception of exposure. We tend to complain about how exposure ruins the art but we sometimes don't notice the underlying feeling of no longer being special. As a magician, most of us are used to being on the spotlight that it is severely uncomfortable for us to be put on the same level as everyone else.

Mar 29, 2008
I don't think the issue is that magic is being ruined for lay audiences - it is that magic on the internet has negative outcomes with upcoming magicians that don't really understand the art, because they stick to their free learning through video stream.

I have asked this question as part of a performance piece, and I get the same answers. However, why don't you ask the question more directly?

Have you ever seen magic exposed on TV or the internet? How did it make you feel?

I have had this conversation, and it is much different than asking what cliche imagery is conjured by the word magic or magician.

YouTube and TV exposure doesn't hurt magic in the way of our secrets, but the kind of education that it is providing and the line of thinking. I don't think I have ever had a showed ruin by exposure, but I have had people express disappointment in exposure, even frustration - I have been asked questions like, "Does it bother you that the Masked Magician exposes trick" - my answer is yes and no.

I say no because it doesn't effect me - but it does effect smaller shows. Imagine you spent $5000.00 on this illusion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTBS0i0u57k

I know, an old effect - but it was what I could find. Now, you spent this money to build a show...in hopes to book more shows, grow your value and buy bigger and better illusions.

However this happens on national television:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/311629/zig_zag_lady_illusion_revealed_by_masked_magician/

You go to shows and crowds yell out how it is done - I know this has happened to people. It hurts their ability to make a living - they bought the illusion for the secret and the effect - now both are ruined and this guy is out money.

Now, for guys like us - sure, we can do a different card effect with a different method...and sure, the greatest guy of our time can afford to have guys create many methods, but what about the guy that is working his way up to be the next David Copperfield. Illusions aren't cheap - and when your living is hurt by exposure, it realliy lessens the amount that up and coming magicians will have to at their fingertips.

Because even David Copperfield started out doing "boxed illusions" at one point. Every magician has to start somewhere, and exposure makes stage guys job harder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57UGcHjyQ5k

I think it is reasonable to think that this is effecting the younger generation. Many youth come on here and state that they have had friends look up their magic on Youtube when they get home. So, no the average person won't use the ease of exposure to find out your secrets...but the fact that the option is there, well, make magic just a little less magical.

One more personal question - you said none of the people you asked in your random sample of people watching magic, said magic was cool or awesome? Did you show them anything? Did that change their mind? If so, doesn't that show the miseducation provided by the magic media? Is this not a chance to educate people?

Good article though Baller08 - I wonder if the ease of internet learning could be linked with the down slide of the magic castle, as people would meet there to learn from the best? Magic shops have taken a hit - the magic community has lost it's community...and turned into forums like these, where nobody can really learn or grow - as, much like our audiences, they are too busy harvesting their preconceived notions and talking about their own opinions, to be able to decided what advice comes from those that know, and what advice comes from those that do not.

Meeting in person allows this doubt to be removed, and for real growth to occur. As you said, magic is about relationships, but not just between you and the audience, but with the people who you share the same passion. The "old school" way of learning.

What makes the adage, "Don't reveal the secret" worthless to the new age magician? Is it because they don't want to stop learning for free? It is hard to argue that exposure has a neutral impact on magic...and I still haven't seen a strong argument that it is a good thing.

baller08

Banned
Sep 21, 2008
Sure I showed them a couple of things afterwards (SilverLining2 and Stigmata) and they freaked out... but that's not the point here....it's not about the individual, Morgician...when will you learn?

This is not about financial hits or upcoming careers. The point is that when magicians complain about exposure their first thought isn't for the person that is trying to make a living...the first thought its their fear that they will no longer be special.

They use your argument as a sword to take down exposure but really....magic isn't being ruined. It'll be around forever....it'll take different forms like it always has...but it'll be around.

The only people that care about exposure are the magicians who rely solely on magic to stand out. Basically...ask yourself this...if a bunch of pre-teens with a webcam can take down an entire art.....then how powerful can this art be?

yea, people are always like
some heckler came up to me after a trick and said, yea i saw that on youtube i know how to do it.
to solve this problem i try to invent my own magic, or routines. even if its the same method as another trick , the way you do it is different so people dont or cant make the connection.

baller08

Banned
Sep 21, 2008
Wow. Reading your post opened my eyes to a new perception of exposure. We tend to complain about how exposure ruins the art but we sometimes don't notice the underlying feeling of no longer being special. As a magician, most of us are used to being on the spotlight that it is severely uncomfortable for us to be put on the same level as everyone else.

Hey Lux...that's why it's important to be a well rounded person. Have different facets to your personality...try not to let any one thing define you. This way no one can do one thing and take your self worth away.

Be good at your job, at school, find other interests that are appealing to people such as music, psychology, be good in at least one sport. Learn to rock climb or surf. Know your current pop culture so you can have casual conversations with people. Get good at talking to girls and guys, without resorting to magic.

If you're well rounded then you don't have to worry about a 13 yr old with a web cam taking away your spotlight, right?

baller08

Banned
Sep 21, 2008
Meeting in person allows this doubt to be removed, and for real growth to occur. As you said, magic is about relationships, but not just between you and the audience, but with the people who you share the same passion. The "old school" way of learning.

I do agree with you there Morgician.....and your statement about the Magic Castle.

But that's a little bit like complaining that people don't meet anymore or even pick up the phone and that all they do is text. It's just technology and how time marches on. We can't be the old foggies sitting here talking about how good things were "back then".

We have to adjust because the world doesn't change for any one group or one person....we have to learn to adapt to the world and then come up with ways to excel in the new world.

Mar 29, 2008
Magic is like hotdogs...everyone likes them until they know how they are made.

- David Williamson

Last edited by a moderator:

baller08

Banned
Sep 21, 2008
Morgician...you're a windbag, but I would think you're smart enough to understand what I mean by "it's not the individual".

You continue to help illustrate my original post. It only matters to self important, one trick pony magicians that people are exposing magic on youtube. I've already said that financially I can see the negative impact. That's a different topic.

You honestly don't care about the upcoming magicians....you're only using that as a shield. It's no coincidence that you fear exposure because magic is the only thing you've got.

Basically...if a 13 yr old with a web cam can take you down...then you're just not a great performer or magician or entertainer. That's my main point. As shown in my survey, the general public just doesn't care...they don't even know about exposure. Unless you're in high school and kids spend countless hours surfing youtube....no one else will yell, "I saw that on youtube!!".

Step outside the community....get out and see what real people think about magic. They don't care about 80% of the things we care about.

All this exposure stuff only should matter to people like Wayne who gets his illusions exposed constantly....you don't see him on here complaining. For the rest of us....it doesn't matter. It only matters if you fear that you're no longer "special".

baller08

Banned
Sep 21, 2008
This statement sounded SO much like something Hitler would say
You need to leave this discussion now....you've got nothing of value to add. You know the saying..."the first person that invokes Hitler's name in a debate..."

Magic malpractice? Can you take yourself anymore seriously? LOL...geez.

Sep 1, 2007
This statement sounded SO much like something Hitler would say

You are the last person in the world I expected to fulfill Godwin's Law. I know I joke a lot about drinking, but given the nature of the conversations I'm seeing among magicians lately leading to frequent Nazi analogies that only cheapen the real thing, I really do need a stiff drink right about now.

To affect change in the world, we must first accept that it is not the way we want it to be. You cannot change anything if you're too caught up playing games of woulda-shoulda-coulda. That is why you adapt.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Arguing on an internet message board isn't really going to change the world.

If you want to change the world, you gotta start with yourself first.

As far as the public thinks of magic exposure. I am pretty sure they could care less about it, because it doesn't affect them at all. They will most likely forget what The Masked Magician exposed or what Billy McGillcutty Age 14 on youtube exposed.

Wayne Houchin pretty much summed it up by saying that there a ton of guys out there who perform stuff that has been exposed, yet they don't get called out on it. Due to them dressing it up differently.

Sep 1, 2007
As far as the public thinks of magic exposure. I am pretty sure they could care less about it, because it doesn't affect them at all.

The phrase is "couldn't care less."

Besides that, it really is only an issue to magicians. And I would take it more seriously if there were any solidarity in the community, but there isn't.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results