Getting Started in Mentalism

May 3, 2008
I've become a huge fan in mentalism and I think it really gets to the audience. So I really want to get started in mentalism and was wondering if there are any books, dvds, or downloads that are any good.

Thanks,
Charlie

Dec 4, 2008
I really like richard osterlind's mind mysteries dvds. I really enjoyed volumes 1 and 2 of this series. So much of the material is practical and easy to learn. The breakthrough card system is one of the best card systems that i have come across.

Feb 2, 2008
John Kennedy Mind power deck with modification of Derren Brown

Dean Dill's Revelation

Masuda Dramatic Envelope

That's all you need
Don't waste your time with not hard hitting effects

Just be a god with these 3

I also want to say Anate by Dee Christopher is very good, but not 100% like the tricks above

Sep 1, 2007
That's all you need
Don't waste your time with not hard hitting effects

Just be a god with these 3

Now try giving real advice.

If you're starting off in mentalism, you cannot do better than Bob Cassidy's Fundamentals. It is a perfect no-bull**** guide to the craft.

Remember, amateurs tell you to buy tricks. Professionals tell you how to become a mentalist.

Apr 29, 2009
after you get and read the thirteen steps to mentalism, i would suggest picking up Banachek's psi seris. it is very practical and most of it is quite easy. I only have his psi series and i love it, but i hear that a lot of his other stuff is fantastic.

i also would recommend richard osterlinds mind mysteries as said before

BUT READ THIRTEEN STEPS TO MENTALISM FIRST!

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Not sure there are enough serious members to warrant it. It'd be sitting there a lot and feel an awful like the cardistry forum (sorry, T11).

I second pretty much exactly what Steerpike said.

Sep 1, 2007
BUT READ THIRTEEN STEPS TO MENTALISM FIRST!

Having a ****load of tricks doesn't do you much good if you don't know how to act like mentalist. That's why I keep saying Fundamentals.

kenton kneepper and luke jermay have decent stuff, cold reading is something great if it fits you.

None of which is appropriate for beginners in mentalism. A lot of Kenton and Luke's best material requires an ability to lie that I'm sorry to say most magicians just don't possess.

Not sure there are enough serious members to warrant it. It'd be sitting there a lot and feel an awful like the cardistry forum (sorry, T11).

Worse yet, there would be a lot of people going for the shock-jocking, trying to figure out how to pick up chicks with mindreading, or in general trying to be Derren Brown.

Again, I take no pleasure in saying this, but there just aren't that many magicians who can also be good mentalists.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Again, I take no pleasure in saying this, but there just aren't that many magicians who can also be good mentalists.

I cannot agree more. When I started mentalism I was still doing magic at this time and everything that I was doing came across as just more tricks. You really have adopt a completely different outlook on presentation. That is why fundamentals is so good because it gives you a frame that you can adapt to fit around yourself.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results