Visual magic?

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
I think you're getting visual magic and strong magic confused.

Lit is not visual. The spectator's don't get to see the magic AS it happens, they see the magic AFTER it happens. Since they can't see the match box visually turn into a card, it's not a visual piece of magic. On the other hand, Pressure is visual because they get to see the magic as it happens.

Now don't fall into the trap of being obsessed with visual magic. While visual magic is good, the sense of mystery produced by hidden magic can be strong as well. For example, I once did a color change to my friend where i simply did a double lift, rubbed the card on the table, and showed it has changed. 6 months later, my friend sees me do the same thing to a random spectator. After i said goodbye to the person, my friend said to me "Dude, i love that card changing thing. From the time you first showed it to me, i used to always wonder what was happening to that card as you rubbed it onto the table."

So you see? That's a much better trick than if i were to do an Erdnase change or something. It's the sense of mystery that made the trick so much more then t really is. Now i'm not saying visual magic is bad, in fact i have quite a lot of visual tricks in my repertoire. But then again, i've seen visual stuff that looks like crap (even if it's done well). I'm simply saying that you shouldn't only look for visual magic, you should look for STRONG MAGIC.

Jun 11, 2008
I love visual magic. I think to perform an effect, it MUST be visual, simple is key. The more simple, the more astonishing, and the more entertained the audience will be, and they'll know happened easier. It makes for a more suffisticated, and intelligent comprehension, and interpretation.

Jun 11, 2008
Also, good points MagicShadow, I think you're right when it comes to s sense of mystery when something magical happens. It can create a very powerful impact.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results