What are the best coins to use?

Oct 5, 2008
New York
Hi.

I've decided to put the cards down and try out coin magic. After a couple of weeks I realized that quarters aren't working for me. They're just too small. What coins do you guys recommend for coin magic, and where can I get them?

Thanks,

Dec 4, 2008
The easiest to use are probably half dollars. Your local bank should be able to give them to you. I would recommend that you eventually learn coin magic with quarters for those times that you are caught off guard and don't have half dollars.

Nov 12, 2008
Half dollars are good to use for palming and for the visuals since they are bigger but like said before practice some tricks that can be done with quarters so that you can do some impromptu magic!

Oct 5, 2008
New York
I just checked the bank, and they said they didn't have any half dollars. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 2, 2008
You can check most coin shops, also E sells a pack of 3 Half dollars for like 7 bucks.

Yea or you can go to the bank and bring in six quaters and get three half dollars for free.

I fail to understand why would you pay SEVEN DOLLARS for 1.50?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Do they sell quarters for a dollar too?!

Learn to read the whole topic.

He already said that the bank told him they don't have any half dollars.

Yea or you can go to the bank and bring in six quaters and get three half dollars for free.

I fail to understand why would you pay SEVEN DOLLARS for 1.50?

As I told the other guy. Learn to read the whole topic..

Anyways, Coin Shops collect and sell coins. That's where I got my halves. Just walk in and ask them for Kennedy's and they should give you a pretty decent selection.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Another option is an American Gold Dollar. The ones with different presidents on the backs. They are bigger than quarters and smaller than half dollars. It worked perfectly for me when i was first starting out. They are probably more available than half dollars too.

May 31, 2008
Learn to read the whole topic.

He already said that the bank told him they don't have any half dollars.

I don't get what you're saying, I'm simply making a joke that they're selling $1.50 for $7.00. That has nothing to do with the bank not having half dollars.

Anyway, check Amazon. They have some half dollars which I have heard are the best.

Edit: I just found some old foreign coins and what not. My mom said tgat they're not worth anything and that I could use them for magic. I found some good ones but I don't know what they are. They are copper-colored. On tje front there is a picture of a guy with short hair. There is writing that says, "Georgivs V Dei Gra: Britt: Omn: Rex Fid: Def Ind: Imp"

Edit 2: We just cleaned them up and figured out that they are English pennies. They are the perfect size.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 5, 2008
New York
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll keep checking around for half dollars, and I'll also check out the Morgans because my favorite coin routine to perform is coins across.

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
If you do any version of VCA or 3FLY, Chris Kenner has strongly recommended using dollars vs. halves. The whole point of the routine is that it's VISIBLE, so the bigger the coin... the better.

Scott.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results