How to resist peer pressure...

Jan 5, 2009
Small town Ohio
Hey guys.
So usually when I preform magic, people don't want you to stop after just one trick.
They always want to see more.
But obviously, you don't want to show them your entire magic collection so how do you stop after one or two effects politely?
You of course still want them to be intrigued for more but it's human nature to not be too patient. They want it now, haha.
So what do you say to them when they want more? How do you resist that pressure?

I find this is one of the hardest things for me. I absolutely adore seeing the reactions of people so it's hard for me to stop. Also, I don't like disappointing people by not doing more.
So, I'm curious, what do you guys do in situations such as this?

PS- I searched for other threads on this subject but didn't find any. If there's more of these, let me know. :]

Nov 18, 2007
Just say that you have to go do something.
Im guessing you are doing this in school?
If you are just say you have to study or w/e and that you'll show them another time.
If they can't understand that, then you should probably stop performing for them.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
In most cases, I don't think there's any shame or disappointment to be had by just saying no and promising a different show another time. You're right, you can't perform everything all at once, and you certainly can't keep performing forever.

Do remember though that you're in control of the situation. You're the magician, not the monkey. It's nice to have a build up to the next time you perform, and it also gives you control.

jr?

Apr 3, 2009
leeds and halifax
www.jrmagic.co.uk
for me i no when to stop i just say some thing like o it was fun last night for me . i was at home in bed with a joker but i go to go now i got a church meeting to go to or i say some one was looking at u go and ask he out then i get out of the houes as fast as i can.!

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
it can be nice to find a way to script into a conversation. You've done your performance piece, so finish up, drop a couple of beats and open some kind of related conversational topic - this way it allows you to engage further with the crowd and is a nice lead out where you can hand cards out or whatever.

A great piece to look into for a more conversational style is Docc Hilford's nightmare coins - it's in his band of the hand booklet, and also one of the monster mentalism series DVDs.

Best,

D.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
"I got one more trick for you guys that I think you'll like, but then I'm done for today."
Then perform your last trick. Simple.

You can also do a trick that involves not being able to use the deck anymore.
Here's a few off the top of my head.

Perform Blizzard - all faces of the cards disappear, Except the card they named in the beginning.

UltraGaff - there's a trick on there that involves batteries on the deck, then you pop them out of a card. "I'd perform more, but my batteries are dead." It's a fun little gag to do to get you out of a tight situation, especially when you don't feel like performing for a heckler. It basically leaves your specs in a "wtf just happened" moment.

Daniel Madison has a nice ace trick, to my knowledge is on his Dangerous DVD that was shown to me by a fellow magician and basically you have 4 aces lost in a deck and produce the first 2, then actually disappear the deck to find the next 2. At the end, you're only left with the four aces.

If you can't do any of these effects then I'd suggest you go with my first option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perform Blizzard - all faces of the cards disappear, Except the card they named in the beginning.

Blizzard is such a ballsy trick to perform, it is fun when you actually do the move and fool everyone.

But yes I usually tell them that this is my last trick, or if you need to stop I usually start a conversation.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Blizzard is such a ballsy trick to perform, it is fun when you actually do the move and fool everyone.

But yes I usually tell them that this is my last trick, or if you need to stop I usually start a conversation.

The original method is a little risky, but that handling can easily be substituted.
Check out my friend Chris's (vintageillusion) performance on it.
http://www.vimeo.com/2512676
(Hope he doesn't mind me sharing)

Sep 3, 2007
Before your closer say something like:

"Everybody, it was great meeting you guys. And right now, the grand finale!!!"

After your closer just say something like:

"Man cmon. Even I can't top that!!"

Mar 17, 2009
If im performing for a group of girls i normally just say ''Hey come on girls, im a guy, i need a few mintues to re-charge!'' Then just start talking about something else! Always gets a laugh........

Sep 2, 2007
London
It can be quite good to have an "encore" piece that you save for those particular situations. Just something quick, simple and direct, maybe something that doesn't quite fit in with your normal repertoire. My thing is Derren Brown's impromptu haunted deck from The Devil's Picturebook. It's totally different from everything else that I do, because my whole persona is is based around the idea that I'm (probably) using the psychological and sleight-of-hand skills of a card cheat or conman. I present it as if it's something new I've been working on that I'm sharing for the first time and completely contradicts any preconceptions about my methods, so it provides, to my mind, fitting punctuation. The different style of presentation, in the manner of me letting them see something I probably shouldn't, gives the performance a different dynamic. It's no longer me "doing a show", I'm just chatting.

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
I Personally say "No." But If They Keep Insisting (Depending On My Mood.), Either I Will Do One More Or I'll Say "Your Lucky I Even Showed You Magic At All And I Am Not A Performance Monkey!" That Probably Didn't Help You But that's What I Do.

I generally let the audience know before I perform my last effect that it is the last one I am going to perform. If you drill that in their heads before you perform it, they tend to be polite and not ask afterwards for more.

It is quite hard to turn them down, especially after performing, so it is always good to mention before you perform, it gives the atmosphere a bit of ease.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
"Your Lucky I Even Showed You Magic At All

I don't agree with saying this.
Magic is about getting to meet new people and a way of connecting with them.
Why would you ruin that by being rude?

Magic is meant to be shown, not hidden. Why would they be lucky to have you show them something, unless you're amazing at performing. You should be thanking them for their time.

Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
Yo DannyT that is my friend John pulling off Blizzard. One of his better performances for sure. He doesn't do much magic anymore but all the other videos are of me.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
I just do something that is way too shocking for them to really understand what has happened.
I like 'warped' effect where half the card has turned face up and the other half is face down. Or random production of other things (toy frogs, golf ball, etc.)

For me after those kind of effects, they just can't ask for other ones for some reason. Spectators are just dumb-founded and cannot come up with reasons how those may be possible, and to them, that's real magic and there is no more reason to ask for more.

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
I don't agree with saying this.
Magic is about getting to meet new people and a way of connecting with them.
Why would you ruin that by being rude?

Magic is meant to be shown, not hidden. Why would they be lucky to have you show them something, unless you're amazing at performing. You should be thanking them for their time.

I Meant It As A Joke

That's a good question. Just how -do- you transition between effect to the rest of the conversation.

In showbiz there's a saying: "Always leave them wanting more." That's basicly what you need to do here. You need to fight the urge to show more magic and learn to simply walk away. Trust me, if you did a good job you'll have their attention all that much quicker the next time they are near you when you pull out a deck of cards.

I guess the most important thing to realize when dealing with a problem like this is the reason why you were doing magic in the first place.

Were you performing because:
  1. You were showing off for friends or classmates?
  2. You were trying out a new effect on a live audience?
  3. Someone you know asked you to do something because they know you are a magician?
  4. You are demonstrating some magic as an effort to market your services, or secure a gig?

In the first three examples your excuse to quit is easy. Just tell them they will have to see more another day, tell them that's all you've prepaired at that time, or use the oppertunity to transition into another natural conversation. You're not being paid for your time, and you really shouldn't show off your best tricks for free. You should focus on either getting the patter of an effect down, or the handeling. If you are familular with the trick, then you should focus on audience control and presentation. The bottom line is you should get something out of it. If it isn't money then it should be a learning experience. Once you've done an effect or two, simply move on. You cann even use one of the afromentioned suggestions.

If you are doing magic for sake of marketing then the entire purpose for doing it in the first place is to get booked to do a gig. Once you've done a trick or two ask them for their contact information and if they would like to book you for a gig. Don't do a full show, don't display everything you know. Just do enough to get them interested and then focus everything on getting the job.

I've also asked for tips to keep performing when I was low on lunch money. I'd do one or two quick effects to build interest, and then tell people that this is how I make a living, and asked for a small donation if they would want to see more. ^_^ It's a great way to make a quick buck if you're in a pinch!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results