A New Idea...

So, I just had a great idea the other day. I think it might be useful for many of us. So here it is...

Many of us have our own original stories from our performances. Some good, some bad, some funny, some sad, some amazing. Well, We all have our pown views on magic theory and all of that too. I mean we all have different ways of approaching people, feelings of stooges and camera tricks, etc. So why not do this???

Go out and buy yourself two notebooks. One will be used to write how you got into magic all the way to the present day. and after that tell about all your stories of performing that you think deserve to be remembered. The good and bad. And continueously update it.

In the second journal, write about how you feel about certain subjects and magicians. (Criss Angel, Approaching Random People, how to get hired, etc.) In the back of this book designate 10 pages to names of clients. After every show, write the name of your employer, his/her address, and phone number. (Get permission first). I talked to my guidance counselor and she told me to keep a list of clients names and nu,mbers because magic can go on a college resemee.

Dylan P.

I don't know if you realize just yet what you have stumbled upon but you are dead on right with what you're doing.

The notebook idea is wonderful and is something we all should be doing if we ever intend to make a buck doing shows.

The first notebook that you described is basicly the foundation for a biography which you'll want to include with any promotional marketing material you submit about yourself.

Writting down the ideas, thoughts, etc about the magic industry will just help cement your character and personality within that business. It will force you to look at certain key subjects and other magicians objectivly and form your own opinions. In our business, individuality is a good thing.

The second notebook is the foundation of your black book of business, or the starting point of a resume. It's something that you should be writting down anyways. If your client has booked you for a gig then you shouldn't need their permission to record their data for your records. What you -will- want to get their permission on though is a quote or two you can use later in your promo material.

These are solid ideas! Keep it up!

If your client has booked you for a gig then you shouldn't need their permission to record their data for your records. What you -will- want to get their permission on though is a quote or two you can use later in your promo material.

These are solid ideas! Keep it up!

Well, I was writing down the names for college and my point was this. They will most likely be a bit upset if ______________ college calls in four years and asks them about me. But if you tell them what you need their number for this reason they they might be less angry about the intrusive call and tell the college better things about you with more detail.

I also, do get quotes. It is a good idea for your website, flyers, etc. although, I don't have a website yet. I mean, not a professional one. I can't afford it.

Hmm. I can see your point, especially if you are doing shows in the private sector. If you ever perform for a business then you shouldn't get their permission. Referance checks are something they fully understand.

I see now where you are comming from. I would defenatly ask a client if I could use them as a referance in the future for anything.

As for the websites, it's not important how flashy or showy your site is. So long as you have one, even if it's a myspace/facebook page. You can always upgrade later.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
Well, I was writing down the names for college and my point was this. They will most likely be a bit upset if ______________ college calls in four years and asks them about me. But if you tell them what you need their number for this reason they they might be less angry about the intrusive call and tell the college better things about you with more detail.

I also, do get quotes. It is a good idea for your website, flyers, etc. although, I don't have a website yet. I mean, not a professional one. I can't afford it.

As far as a website goes:

I would recommend getting and customizing a WORDPRESS account if you cannot get your own domain, as it allows for additional pages to be created (bio, contact, events, etc.), and a blogging news system can be a great way to advertise public events that you're performing at, etc. As far as the design for your own domain goes; I'd be happy to whip up some basic framework for ya using CSS - maaaaaayyybeee some of the image work as well; all of this depends on the time I end up having, as I leave for basic training in just a touch over a month.

And for the notebooks:

Great idea; I've been doing something like this for a while - I also have a third notebook, in which I write down every stinkin' idea I have for any type of trick - original, variations, or just a teeny tiny minor change in handling/presentation of someone elses'. Even if I can't think of a method, I write down the idea for the effect.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
If you could whip up a domain with extra time it might be cool. But I don't have a ton of money.

I would not be whipping up a domain. I'd be whipping up a framework design for you; creating the page. I'll see if I have a free day to do so. And I'm not offering to do this for you so I can charge you. The entire point of me doing it in my free time is so that there is no cost to you at all.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Dylan, I agree with benjamind, this is something a lot more people should be doing - stripped to the bare, simply writing things down. Performances, lessons learned, presentations, etc.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results