I just started learning card magic.

May 13, 2009
please give me some tips on what card tricks to learn.
so that i know that im not doing wrong in getting tricks from youtube
what should i be focusing my time on when practicing card magic?

i can already do
double lifts
swivel cut
pivot cut
false cuts
etc.

Jul 13, 2008
You want me to give you advice? Spend a couple years working on the basics. Even if you think you've got them down, keep practicing. Then, after all is said and done and you've mastered the basics, tricks would be so much easier to learn and perform. Trust me.

May 9, 2009
Some of the basic card sleights that I learned were forces, controls, and productions. Forces were an easy way to astound people, but some are more difficult than others. Controls such as the double-undercut, overhand controls, false shuffles, etc. are the backbone of many card tricks. And of course, you need to do something with the controlled card. That's where productions come in. Finding their card in an entertaining/magical way is also important.

You can find all of these sleights in The Royal Road to Card Magic.

Hope this helped,

card-iologist

nayost

Elite Member
Jun 18, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
RRTCM is a great place to start. Where have you been learning the slights you've listed so far? You are right to stay away from the YouTube tutorials, as most of them are "look what i know how to to" videos with poor techniques and teachings. (Of course there are some exceptions)

You should practice your list of slights to the point that you can go up to someone and perform them well, with out flinching. Then might be time for you to add another slight to your list.

Welcome to the forum, there are a lot of knowledgeable members here.

what basics?
please point them out please please.
what should i learn?

What basics?

First get Card College Volume I. Study this then progress with Volume II, III, & IV. There is a Volume V but concentrate on the first four volumes. BTW these are not cheap in price. Volume I will set you back about $30-40.

If money is a problem, then buy The Royal Road To Card Magic. This is cheaper in price but nonetheless a good beginning. This book will cost about $10-20.

Some of the basics are:

Grips. (dealer, mechanic, end etc.).
Breaks. (pinky, thumb, Greek etc.).
Shuffling (overhand, riffle, faro etc. false and legitimate)).
Cuts (legitimmate and false).
Double/triple Lift and Turnovers. (pushover, hit/strke, etc).
Controls. (to the top & bottom and other places).
Forces. (classic, riffle, Balducci, etc.).
Reversals. (single and muliple cards).
Single card/packet switches (top change, etc.).
Palming. (gamblers cop, Tenkai, classic, etc.).
Pass. (classic, turnover, riffle, half pass, etc.).

You see, there is alot to experiment and discover. One bit of advice... use the best cards, start out right and practice right... because "perfect" practice makes perfect.

Cheers,

Dom.
;):):cool:

Jun 13, 2008
Tacoma, WA
I agree with everyone else about Royal Road, however, like me, some people are more visual learners. If that's the case for you, I recommend Crash Course to Card Magic, which is a dvd at ellusionist.com

Now, I'm not saying that it's a good idea to just get DVDs, but for SOME it's a better STARTING place. Either way, You should still eventually get Royal Road.

Apr 15, 2009
New Jersey
I agree with everyone else about Royal Road, however, like me, some people are more visual learners. If that's the case for you, I recommend Crash Course to Card Magic, which is a dvd at ellusionist.com

Now, I'm not saying that it's a good idea to just get DVDs, but for SOME it's a better STARTING place. Either way, You should still eventually get Royal Road.

The Royal Road to Card Magic is a DVD also ;)

But yeah, definitely get The Royal Road to Card Magic. Another great place to start is Oz Pearlman's Born to Perform Card Magic

Jan 8, 2009
To be honest, I say that I read RRTCM, but I don't .. I had a copy, and gave it to a friend wanting to learn some magic.. It just didn't spark my interest..

If you want to become a DECENT card magician, and in the future, possibly plan to work restaurants/bars/..etc whatever, and you're commmited, Pick up a few books, maybe some dvds, but don't go overboard.

Some recommendations I would suggest are:

Stealing pips (Oz Pearlman)
Crash Course 1 (Ellusionist) (Yes I said it!!)
Card College Volumes, this kid has a nice review on them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k5jcGwjVKw&feature=channel_page

erm, The Trilogy, (I got it when I was like 3 months into magic lol)

It really depends what you want to learn..

Check out magicbookshop.com

PS, I have been fried by people performing some of the tricks from RRTCM.. Yea, if you can perfect the stuff in it, it will benefit you!

hfz

May 16, 2009
Hello to you, thread starter ;)
And to all the masters here in Theory11 Community :D
I'm also just started learning magic, and just wanna ask, can any members here post The Royal Road to Card Magic ebook link, to download it free, because I'm living in Malaysia, so don't know how to find it.

Thanks,
Your friend from Malaysia.
hfz :)

May 24, 2008
Hello to you, thread starter ;)
And to all the masters here in Theory11 Community :D
I'm also just started learning magic, and just wanna ask, can any members here post The Royal Road to Card Magic ebook link, to download it free, because I'm living in Malaysia, so don't know how to find it.

Thanks,
Your friend from Malaysia.
hfz :)

haha bad idea bro

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I know it's a bad idea, btw, how should I found this rare book nearby my area?
That's why I'm asking like that.

Are there any magic shops in Malaysia that you could order from? I know there are several in nearby countries. Alternatively, many online magic shops stock RRTCM.

As a side note, downloading magic is considered highly unethical for many reasons, so you won't find any help on anything like that here.

May 17, 2009
United Kingdom
Getting Started

hi, I would advise purchasing the card fundamentals by Aaron fisher as he is a fantastic teacher and shall teach you everything you need to know. Once you have bought that I would advise getting Andrei Jeikh's video on starting out in Magic.
Excuse my spelling of his name.
Josh

hfz

May 16, 2009
Are there any magic shops in Malaysia that you could order from? I know there are several in nearby countries. Alternatively, many online magic shops stock RRTCM.

As a side note, downloading magic is considered highly unethical for many reasons, so you won't find any help on anything like that here.

OK dude, thanks for the advice. By the way, there are some places I can order from but some of it gives extra charges too ridiculous.

May 13, 2009
thank you everyone for your help,
ive been reading and reading all your posts all over and over again.
i bought daryls encyclopedia for card sleights volume 1
and a daryls card revelations volume 2.
i cant seem to find the expert card technique book.
im from the philippines by the way.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results