Performance For Church

Mar 26, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys, I was asked to do a preformance at my church, that had to deal about choices... i had things planed out for a Russian roulette, but that happens to be too "scarry/weird" for the congregation. Any suggestions would be great:) thanks

May 12, 2009
i agree, i think a russian roulette would be to scary for the people, i suggest doing something comical, those types of tricks get great reactions

I think the russian roulette would be great! Of course I'm not a huge fan of churh or onyone in gods fanclub either.

Personally, I'd not provide them with a set sheet, just because (from experience) churchs have a way of poo-pooing just about any effect that isn't water to wine, and even that should be done with descression.

You can try the following and see if they work.

Chain/handcuff/straitjacket escape : Escaping from bondage/ sin

Card Reveal: King of Hearts: talk about jesus being the king of hearts.

Burning Bible: Better choices in reading material better afterlife.

Human Blockhead: because pounding nails into the body was good enough for jesus, so it's good enough for everyone! - Fun for the whole family. -Bring the kids.

Water to Wine: self explanitory.

Ambitious Card/ McCombical Prediction to illustrate choces made in life and how they all come back to only one possible solution: god.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
It depends on your congregation. I'm the youth pastor at a fairly conservative church, and a roulette would be fine. Obviously if you are doing it for kids, perhaps not the most responsible choice. ;) Rope tricks work great, fire is always awesome, cards tricks that everyone can see are great. Torn and restored stuff. Water to wine could definitely work. If you want to do something with a message, then what was said earlier about escapes are great. You can do something with slush powder (perhaps Russian roulette with water/slush powder?)

I would not worry too much about offending people. If they asked you to perform, then they are not worried. There are a lot of misinformed, (or simply a lack of knowledge on the subject) people who have various ideas of what it is like to do shows for churches. If you have something that you think is questionable, talk to the pastor or error on the side of caution (or respect - ie don't nail things into the pulpit... different story).

You will do great, just do the tricks that you know that work for the size group you have. And of course as with any show, make sure it is age appropriate.

Justin

Sep 22, 2007
You should do Wounded by B. Smith haha just kidding! I would suggest doing Tagged by Richard Sanders or Torn Too by Daniel Garcia you know? effects along those lines.

Jan 13, 2008
maybe an acr with jesus.
Whip out the good ol' Jesus card? ;)

I like the idea of rope tricks, and other such effects that play better to a large crowd. If you can get the equipment (i.e., camera, projector, screen), then card effects would be great, but they're harder (though definitely not impossible) to project to a bigger audience without such equipment.

Mar 2, 2008
I can't believe I'm the first one to say this?

Why don't do stigmata!
and do it with a projector so anyone can see it.

_Gianni.

Yea great, use anther over used card effect on stage? Sorry i don't think that would cut it.

Pick up ANY stage effect by Martin Lewis, i came back from his lecture last night and everything was stunning.

Or rope magic works well.

Wow you were right, you really are judgmental when it comes to Christians...

I take the entire cult with a truck load of salt, and I'm always happy to make a friend out of one. I'm just harsh on the hypocrites, biggots, and sexists.

Don't get me wrong, I've said it before and I'll say it again, It's not God I have issues with. It's his fan club I don't like.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results