Control: worth more than the secret?

Here's an issue: I already know how to stop my pulse, but I don't know how well I can make an effective trick out of it. Control seems to be a well made product, but I'm curious if you think the "extra" stuff is worth $30 when I could, potentially, just figure it out via trial and error. Thanks, again.

May 31, 2008
Here's an issue: I already know how to stop my pulse, but I don't know how well I can make an effective trick out of it. Control seems to be a well made product, but I'm curious if you think the "extra" stuff is worth $30 when I could, potentially, just figure it out via trial and error. Thanks, again.

Are you thinking of the ole ball under arm stop? That is not the effect taught on the DVD.

May 17, 2009
United Kingdom
possibly

If you know the effect that Wayne teaches then i don't think it is worth getting the DVD because the DVD doesn't give too many tips that you could figure out.
Josh

Are you thinking of the ole ball under arm stop?

Yes, of course. :) My method is pretty much like that one but with one or two improvements. Ends up working about the same way. But it works; is the method behind Control really much more effective; i.e. can you exercise more "control" over the exact pulse count, or any such like? Why is Control better?

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
Yes, of course. :) My method is pretty much like that one but with one or two improvements. Ends up working about the same way. But it works; is the method behind Control really much more effective; i.e. can you exercise more "control" over the exact pulse count, or any such like? Why is Control better?

yes, you can perform this effect nude, from what I hear.

Sep 2, 2007
Control is a completely different method. and the ball under arm can actually present a health risk. Control cannot

Jv

Jan 11, 2008

It's impromptu, easy and hard-hitting.

With the right persentation it can become a miracle.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Unlike most other methods of the pulse stop from years past, Control is done with no gimmicks, no special props, and zero preparation. You can do it at a moment's notice, and the pulse is under your complete control at all times. Start it. Slow it. Stop it - it's all up to you.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
Thanks, everyone.

However, the question remains: is that impromptu-ness is worth $30?

I personally think it's totally worth it!!!

It's about an hour and and 45 minutes of deep detail and teaching and disscusion.

But hey, it's all up to you and your style of magic. But like I said, I think it's totally worth it!

Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
What I love about Houchin and Fisher's work, is they've chosen effects that are easy regarding method, so you can work on your performance. They blatatntly mention this on many of their products.

When I watch them, I try to reverse engineer thier performances from multiple angles and perspectives. I learn more about performing, audience control, effective scripting and patter, and character from thier DVD's than the effect itself.

If you can gain from the intangibles and nuances in watching the DVD, it is worth far more than $30.

After all, sure you can perform the mechanics of an effect, but if you're a crappy presenter, you'll get caught or just not get as strong a reaction as you could...

just my 2 kanucks...

Thanks; that kind of info was really what I was looking for. I was guessing that was the case (that the majority of the worth of the DVD is not the method but the information about performing) but wasn't sure.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Trust me if you get For Andruzzi there is a 90% chance you will be disappointed with the method. However if you like the method and see its strengths you will see it is a far superior effect. You can use control for the first phase of For Andruzzi and more often then not us Control for just that.

Control
Pros: Works, Impromptu, Safe, easy.
Cons: Good Audience management (not really a con but it should be mentioned)

For Andruzzi
Pros: Stop someone elses pulse, Impromptu, Safe.
Cons: Method is not sure fire but it you can work on it if you are having a difficult spectator.

Thanks; that clears things up a good bit. For Andruzzi is psychologically based, right? Do you know what percent of the time it works? I hear that psychological forces work about eighty percent of the time, which is why one needs a back-up on them. Is it the same with this pulse stop effect? Should I hide an object under my arm while preforming Andruzzi just in case? ;)

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I dont know I probably hit For Andruzzi about 80 90% of the time. But with anything that has to do with psych forcing or suggestion it comes down to cooperation with the spectators and yourself. The only piece of advice I can give you is to be completely confident with the method.

May 10, 2009

Wayne Houchin's dvds are one of the best. He does not only teach the trick but also the psychology behind it. This is very valuable for your magic performance. It will make you magic stronger. People talks about it even when its all over. Buying his dvd even if you know the revealed is still worth it. I figured out THREAD but i still bought it. NO REGRETS(for me).

NOTE: Control is not putting some thing in your armpit to stop the flow. Its something cooler. (You will never guess it)
Can be done without phychology. Phychology just makes the effect more powerful.

Sep 1, 2007
Quick note.

Unless you know how to act, don't do any pulse stops. Ever. I don't mean as in conduct, I mean as in actual acting.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results