Go.Out.Perform.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Are you talking about one of my hands or my body?

Im talking about when you did the penetration fo the coin, you moved the bottle a lot and you made a super huge swing with your hand, thats what I meant.

I would've loved to make the card jump to the top while it was in her hands, but I have no idea how to do that.

Its easy, do a double lift, make her take the card and to put in the the middle, give the deck to her and let her do the "magic" :).

Jul 9, 2008
You are partially correct. I was planning on doing an ACR, but not this particular ACR. I usually use a different, much better, one where I talk about how Dai Vernon fooled Houdini, and I end it with either card to mouth or Riot. (I would've done card to mouth) I noticed that the Farmer's Market was closing, and I had to act fast, and I was already having him sign the card, so I had to do an improvised (badly) ACR. Like I said I'm not proud of this routine or the coin through bottle. I would've loved to make the card jump to the top while it was in her hands, but I have no idea how to do that. Like I said, it wasn't my usual, practiced, scripted ACR, and I'm not proud of it.

ok so you were going to perform a routine that you didnt have time for nor that you practiced.... a couple of rules broken when doing that. a couple of protenial learning experiances. never perform an effect you have not practiced. never a good idea. ACR can be done HUNDREDS of ways! you should practice the ACR by just writing down all the controls and moves that you know and trying to use those in the routine. this will keep you on your toes when doing an ACR and you wont be caught with your pants down. also you must learn to get out of th script sometimes. if you just stick to it all the time... things will be boring for you and your audience. so be receptive and spontaneous. you probably could have got that girls number too!:cool:

May 31, 2008
ok so you were going to perform a routine that you didnt have time for nor that you practiced.... a couple of rules broken when doing that. a couple of protenial learning experiances. never perform an effect you have not practiced. never a good idea. ACR can be done HUNDREDS of ways! you should practice the ACR by just writing down all the controls and moves that you know and trying to use those in the routine. this will keep you on your toes when doing an ACR and you wont be caught with your pants down. also you must learn to get out of th script sometimes. if you just stick to it all the time... things will be boring for you and your audience. so be receptive and spontaneous.

I was not planning on doing an unpracticed routine. I would've changed things up before I started had I known I wouldn't have time for a full ACR. You see, I had already started my regular ACR when I noticed the Farmer's Market starting up. I had to just improvise. I understand that that was a bad thing to do, but I had no choice.

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
You know what would be nice too? Establishing yourself as a true performer in front of audiences on the higher end. Take it as practice, take it as a note, take it as a critique, take it as you will.

May 31, 2008
You know what would be nice too? Establishing yourself as a true performer in front of audiences on the higher end. Take it as practice, take it as a note, take it as a critique, take it as you will.

Can you elaborate more, I'm not quite sure what you're saying. Thanks in advance.

Jun 7, 2008
DC area
www.youtube.com
Guys I have some new. I am not going to film live on the streets any more. BUT I will be performing more then ever. I think it is kinda rude in a way to have a camera and film someone you don't really know, people find it weird enough that you have a deck of cards with you. If you do get live film it will most likely be some small stage stuff.

Jul 9, 2008
man...... i would love to go.out.preform! but i dont have a camera that i can plug into my computer nor do i have a cameraman. if i could just go out and get one i would but the cash is strapped right now. about to get out of the navy and try to find a job. so time and money are both tight. If anyone lifes close enough to me then i would have not problem with it but i doubt any of you life near me. i live on the gulf coast. if anything developes then i will get back to you with some good material.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
So, yeah, I know this may be considered bumping, but anyway, I just wanted to share.

I am in no way a professional, or close to it, but these little notes are things that I have written for some time (I actually pm'ed them to a fellow member form here) and I thought it would be usefull to some people that would like to go out there and perform some magik.

Anyway, if anyone would like to add something it would be great.

Technically speaking, we cant get ready for a "live performance" since we do not know how the spectators will react to us.

Here are a couple of tips:

*Your sleight of hand needs to be pretty much flawless, when practicing, try to practice in a mirror and check all your angles, notice wich are your bad angles and how to cover them, during a live performance you may have the need to adapt your angles to how the audience is, but you need to do it naturally, you cant say "hey you! move over here", well you get my point.

*Now that you have the sleights down, you should work in your patter, come with a ncie story or something interesting that accompanies your routine, the ACR can be killer with the correct amnount of patter, you need to entertein, to perform, there is a difference between doing tricks and performing ;). Another thing you have to watch out, it may be a good ideato script your routine, to write it down and to learn it, but you have to understand that you are not performing for the camera and you have to lean to listen to your audiience and adapt to the situation. Also, try to eliminate the "uhm" from your patter, it sounds dull and you can make the audience lose interest in your performance.

* Make eye contact, Since we spend a lot of time practicing sleights in the mirror, we grow the bad habit of looking at our hands the whole performance, remember, most of the time they will look exactly where we are looking, so take that to your advantage and make eye contact, it will feel more personal and you will make the tricks about you, not the deck.

*When doing tricks like the 2CM where there is a moment when you need misdirection, you need the moves to flow naturally and with motivation, if you dont make a big deal out of something, they will not notice it. Also when you akk a question ( great way to get misdirection) do it while you make eye contact with them,98% of the time they will look up to see you and answer you. Remember, since we are humans, we can get our attention on two points at once ;).

*You need a strong opener, because when you meet someone strange in the street and you want to perform for them, take in consideration that you have roughly like 15 seconds to make them have interest in you, ask their names first, introduce yourself and shake hands with everybody, it may seem dumb, but is perfect to make yourself like a nice person and you gain rapport with them (very important the rapport thing I suggest you investigate about it) and then do something quickly, maybe a transposition in their hands of something, but you need their attention and remember, patter first.

* You will get nervous when performing, you will shake and a lot, there is no remedy for this, but if you practice enough and you feel comfortable wit your stuff, you will learn to manage this very soon, besides, practicing the above things and taking them into consideration will help you get over it.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
This comment is for RDC's video which he submitted for his battle with DaveyG - Any Live Magic, I believe it was.

Generally, your performance was good. You came across as a very interesting young man with some interesting skills. Technically speaking, you don't have an issue; 2CM and Biddle are hardly the most technically demanding effects in the world, but nonetheless it is good to see that they are very sound.

What I would suggest to you needs improvement for yourself is performance technique - not sleight of hand technique but performance technique. For example, ideally I would've liked to have seen more eye contact with your first group. You did that quite well in the second and to a limited degree, and I know you're aware of it, but just be careful and you treat everyone inclusively and as much as possible.

A bigger issue I had with your performance was the transition from the first group to the second. I think you rushed it a little bit. You got a nice response from the first group of people, and I think you were too eager to start your second effect with the couple, to approach them before they left, to let your first group either enjoy or savor their reaction. Certainly, I think they still had 'reaction' left in the tank they would've otherwise expressed if you kept it that way. Notice that the first group's action was mostly delayed. It took a little for it to properly hit them, so giving them time and space is essential. And I also feel that they would've stayed to form an even bigger crowd for you had you waited for them, drawn their reaction out - and then, ask the couple to stand with the kids. After you turned to the couple, the kids would've had mostly your back at around the 4-5 o clock position.

Two more little things - first to the Biddle, I would suggest you let the spectator (in this case, the little kid) count the cards - your counting was nice and elegant but looked a little bit off, especially when you looked like you stumbled once. The other thing is, in your 2CM, did you notice how your audience reacted when you "switched" the cards for the first time? They practically jumped. Which tells you that they are quite a forthcoming crowd of course - but then, when you did your little wave your hand over the two cards, they didn't move at all. I don't think it was presentation per se, but I'd interpret that as simply them not being convinced that you were actually doing anything. I don't think it added anything at the very least, so have a think about that.

Hope this helps,

~Prae

Sep 10, 2008
I thought the video was very cool. Maybe just if everything wasn't in sepia tone it would have been better.

May 31, 2008
http://forums.theory11.com/showpost.php?p=254714&postcount=1

Title of Performance: You're the Best Magician I've Ever Seen!

Effects performed: ACR, Stigmata, Invisible Deck, SHARPie, the Crazy Man's Handcuffs, Redline, and The Biddle Trick.

Audience: Some kids a few years younger than me (I think) at the skate park. During Stigmata there were some wannabe gang members off camera smoking what I'm pretty sure isn't legal. After I was done, they wanted me to show some magic to who I think was one of them's sister who was a senior in hight school.

The Performance: My favorites were Stigmata and SHARPie. I absolutely hated my performance of the Crazy Man's Handcuffs. There was no patter, and no routine. I couldn't even get them interested in what I was doing. Redline was at a bad angle. The camera kept skipping around during the Biddle Trick. I loved my presentation on the ACR, Stigmata, and the Biddle Trick. I thought my card stab was pretty good. They totally believed that I had failed.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results