Revealing Magic To Other Magicians

May 3, 2008
I was wondering what your opinions were on revealing magic to your other magician friends. I was wondering if I should share EVERYTHING with them if you can trust them or keep some gems to yourself. The main reason I've brought this up is because my Grandfather is visiting from England for the first time since I have started magic. He was a professional magician some years ago and when I show him a trick and he asks me to show him how I do it I'm not quite sure what to say. He's showing his tricks to me and even brought me some really interesting props to use.

Thanks,
Charlie

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
I have a magic friend who i always work with, and we used to share effects and stuff. Mostly it was on my part, the kinda new stuff i learnt i would show him all the time (including method and presentation). But over the years, i've done less and less of that, as we moved away from each other to develope our certain styles.

I only share with him effects which i think suits him more, and keep my ones to myself. Same with him, i wouldnt want to know how his effects are done unless he told me. For people poisoned by the magician pride, i believe this is the only magic left for them.

D

Deleted member 2755

I was wondering what your opinions were on revealing magic to your other magician friends. I was wondering if I should share EVERYTHING with them if you can trust them or keep some gems to yourself. The main reason I've brought this up is because my Grandfather is visiting from England for the first time since I have started magic. He was a professional magician some years ago and when I show him a trick and he asks me to show him how I do it I'm not quite sure what to say. He's showing his tricks to me and even brought me some really interesting props to use.

Thanks,
Charlie

He used to be a professional magician and he's your grandfather. Speak away my friend.

-Doug

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Charlie, I sometimes share secrets with other magicians who I am good friends with as they in turn will teach me a few tips and tricks as well. Think about what IBM rings are for. If everyone just sat at the meetings and didn't talk, share ideas, give constructive criticism, the meetings would be pointless.

Also....this is your grandfather you are talking about. You haven't seen him in awhile and you need to cheerish the time with him. Show him what you have learned in magic thus far. Show him some of your current tricks and things that you are working on. He would be delighted to help you. Maybe you could keep one or two secrets to yourself and I don't think he'd mind. In fact it would let him know that you respect magic and want to leave him with a bit of magic in his mind. It will give him something to enjoy. Once you know the secrets to magic, it is tough to view it as a layman.

Have him show you some of his favorite sleights and tricks that he used to use in his sets as a professional. I think you guys will have a great time.

Apr 8, 2008
If he's your grandfather, why not tell him? He's not going to steal your business and ruin the trick by telling everyone =]

But about magician friends, I do tell them some of the stuff I've come up with, and I basically share nearly every trick I can remember... although I do believe to some extent that I should be respecting the author by letting my friends by the book/DVD, but yea. I like sharing, because it is caring =].

it's all about personal preferrences.
I think you can reveal tricks to other magicians, but I think it feels great to fool other magicians.
If it's your grandfather, I think it's good in some points to reveal the tricks, because he was like you said a professional magician, and so he can give you some hints or suggestions on how to do it better

Thanks,
Charlie
i think you owe him that....basically gave you your first start....so yeah tell him...

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I would support Sinful's answer for your situation.

If you'd like a general answer though...

It depends on the person and the situation. I have on occasion taught routines and shared ideas with my fellow magicians. On the other hand, there are some effects I do not explain and will not reveal my sources either. Most of the time, I prefer to tell them where to start, since what I am most concerned about is the homework, the research I have done and the influences I have had that have had an influence on where the effect is today. That's what makes the effect a gem, and that constitutes, often, months of work - so I will give them simply the beginning, and let them take their own steps.

Jan 28, 2009
I have magicians that I'm friends with and we jam regularly. The reality is, if I'm going to perform something to lay people, I want a qualified opinion as to whether its performance ready. They feel the same way. I'm not talking about watching footage to see if the sleights are invisible, its all aspects of the performance, the misdirection, the handling that we work through. The patter, the subtleties, what works with each of our performance styles and our personalities, when to make a joke to what the joke is, to how its phrased to what purpose every aspect of the routine serves. How slick it is. As a result methods are discussed from all parties, and sometimes methods are figured out whilst watching the performance. As these are friends of mine and I of theirs I'm not worried if they learn a method, or I do, or whatever, we're a group of people that hang out and talk about magic and test ideas on each other. This isn't some, "If you show me this, I'll show you that" 13 year old discussion where we're trying to be one up on the other. I appreciate their performance of a method rather than the method itself, and we're just open with one another in terms of trying to improve our magic.

For me its essential in the learning process that such dialogue takes place fairly openly. I'm not at high school, so frankly my 'magic buddies' are often working pros or semi pros that aren't going to call me out and ruin my high school reputation in the middle of a performance because they're not 13 and we don't perform at a high school. I say that because that's the only reason I can think of why sharing a method with a magician friend would cause any problems. My friends aren't going to go and expose it to a layman, and if they like the method they'll pick up the book or the DVD to learn it from the creator of the effect, not some amateur such as I!

The fact is though, I don't see how this sort of dialogue causes a problem. In the real world, there's nothing to be gained by sitting on a method and not explaining it to those close to you. (Do you think the Buck Twins bought Surfaced to learn the clip shift, or do you think they were buddies of Chad's that he bounced the idea around with?) The acid test for a method in my view is whether it is deemed performance worthy or concealable by another magician that performs.

Is it OK to just spank a bunch of methods to a bunch of guys you never speak to that may or may not be 'magicians', no, lol, because that's just exposure in my view.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results