Problem with Parents

C:M

Oct 10, 2007
When I was a freshmen in high school, magic affected my grades severely. Since then, my parenst have been very cautious around it. They've let me do certain contests and a few tricks here and there, but now I'm going to college this summer and they don't want magic to affect my school life here like it did before. What should I do?

I'd appreciate it if your responses are not the following bacause they have been testes and failed many times:
"Show them you can now get good grades and perform."
"Sit down and have a conversation with them in a nice, adult like tone of voice."
"Etc, etc."

Their furious grip which I truly hate won't loosen until I'm done with school unless I do something about it. I perform all the time, they just hate hearing about it from somewhere or when I ask them to do something relating to magic. Bottomline, I haven't purchased any magic products in about two years, and still log onto to sites almots everyday because I have a passion for this. I really need help! Thanks!

Jan 13, 2008
If you can't sit down and discuss this with your parents like adults, I'm not really sure what else to say. Well, there's always: Learn how to manage your time better, so your grades don't suffer. This will help with any other things you do, besides magic, that has the potential to affect your grades (i.e., sports, hanging out with friends, TV, etc). That's really about it...it's all about time management. If you can work on that, then maybe things will be different in the future. But there's not going to be a magic phrase you can say that'll fix things, nor will there be a quick fix. It's all about working on time management skills over time.

Good luck. :)

The basic thing is:

Make a time table!

You have to give everything its own time, if theres a gig on the time you have to study you move the studying time to another time. eg. The gig is at 4 PM and you have to study at that time, you will either move studying to 2 or 3 Pm or do your homework in the morning, get up an hour earlier and study. I know sound scary but this works for me.

Just plan your time, and set your priorities, studying first and magic second. If you dont have an education your magic carrier wont be as flowery as with an education.

Mikk

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
When I was a freshmen in high school, magic affected my grades severely. Since then, my parenst have been very cautious around it. They've let me do certain contests and a few tricks here and there, but now I'm going to college this summer and they don't want magic to affect my school life here like it did before. What should I do?

I'd appreciate it if your responses are not the following bacause they have been testes and failed many times:
"Show them you can now get good grades and perform."
"Sit down and have a conversation with them in a nice, adult like tone of voice."
"Etc, etc."

Their furious grip which I truly hate won't loosen until I'm done with school unless I do something about it. I perform all the time, they just hate hearing about it from somewhere or when I ask them to do something relating to magic. Bottomline, I haven't purchased any magic products in about two years, and still log onto to sites almots everyday because I have a passion for this. I really need help! Thanks!

the answer is simple, mature.

If you are letting magic get in the way of more important things like school, you really have a problem buddy ( If that's the reason of your low grades), Believe me, I love magic, I really do, but we are talking about your life here, your parents love you, and I am sure that they like your magic, they are just worryed about you, they don't do this just because they want to make your life feel like crap.

Im sure that you dont want to hear this, but you already have the answer, just improve your grades and leave magic aside while you do that, there is no magical response there, and you are not going to hear what you wanna hear, but it is the truth. Bear it.

C:M

Oct 10, 2007
I don't think you understand. I have been getting good grades ever since that incident. They are just paranoid that it will happen again.

I don't think you understand. I have been getting good grades ever since that incident. They are just paranoid that it will happen again.

Well thats a whole other thing!

Then just get through school and they should ease up.
There isnt anything much more you can do. My dad cares what i do but my mother(who i live with) dosent want to hear about magic when it comes to school.

Just bare a couple of years and when they see that you can handle doing magic and studying your okay!

Mikk

Yeah I was in the same boat as you my friend. I only really started to heavily, perform beginning of my senior year. The reason why is because I got Strait A's starting after first semester of my freshmen year. My advice would be, show your parents you are responsible enough to juggle different tasks with school work and not necessarily with magic. If you are 16, get a job it doesn't matter where. Once they can see you can maintain your grade and keep a job then a little hobby such as magic won't seem like a big thing.

But that is just this lycanthrope's opinion,

Nexus

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
All other practical ideas I had were already shot down, so, I guess... wait until you're 18? I mean, if it's not affecting your progress anymore, and you really truly can balance academics and prestidigitation, then why not?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results