Mentalism

May 27, 2009
Hello there!!

Well, actually this is my first post here. I would like to know if somebody could help me to choose a book in Mentalism, I would like to start to learn come mentalism and I was looking for a book. I checked Paralies and Myth myth and magick but I do not know if they could be good for me and I do not know if somebody could suggest me a book.

Thanks for your help!!!

Corinda's 13 Steps to mentalism should be #1 on your list.

Psychological subtleties by Banacheck is another great one, but so is anything by Banachek. His Psi series is wonderful and taught me an incredible amount. He is a great teacher.

Stigmata is a great effect if you do not already have it. It will teach you some great sleights that can work to create your own effects.

Leading Reading is a great way to practice your cold readings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Corinda's 13 Steps to mentalism should be #1 on your list.

Not if you actually want to be a mentalist as opposed to just another schmuck who does bland Derren Brown rip-offs.

13 Steps is a textbook. Fundamentals actually covers exactly what the title implies.

I would like to note that most of the people parroting getting 13 Steps first and **** everything else are probably not mentalists themselves and just do a cheap mindreading trick if someone takes away their cards.

Mar 12, 2009
Not if you actually want to be a mentalist as opposed to just another schmuck who does bland Derren Brown rip-offs.

13 Steps is a textbook. Fundamentals actually covers exactly what the title implies.

I would like to note that most of the people parroting getting 13 Steps first and **** everything else are probably not mentalists themselves and just do a cheap mindreading trick if someone takes away their cards.

So what would you suggest? :)
I'm thinking about getting into it also.

May 27, 2009
same thing I always say, fundamentals, practical mental effects, 13 steps to mentalism. Start with fundamentals.

Oh, and welcome.

Thank you hehe.

I think I will start with fundamentals, I think this is great everyone helps everyone thank you everybody!!

Dec 14, 2007

Actually - no.

Corinda issued a series of courses each dedicated to one skill which made up - what he believed to be - the core skill set need to be a mentalist. How anyone can conclude that Corinda in any way leads to Derren Brown rip-offs is beyond me. Perhaps they have never actually read the book?

If one were to master the skills in Corinda, he or she would be able, at any time, to create the illusion of mind reading/mind control/etc. Sadly, many people never get this far because several of the steps are, quite frankly, hard.

I was speaking with Barrie Richardson a while back and he was amazed at the number of alleged mentalists who had never mastered a single "step."

The thing about Corinda is it is a long haul approach. (As Steerpike has written in other threads, he holds nothing but contempt for such thorough pedagogical approaches.) What I mean by that is this is a book which will take years to really benefit from. It is like a Trumpet player getting the Arban book - it will take years before you can play the etudes at the end.

Also, Corinda may seem a bit dated to some (though I am amazed how funny Tony is in his writing). By that I mean, a lot of the "tricks" will not appeal instantly to today's tastes. However, that does not mean they are bad tricks - this book was written at a time when you didn't need to hype everything before you sold it, while you were selling it, and after it was bought. If you try the effects - even as is - and do a competent job, you will see they come off as the real deal. Sadly, many magicians are not happy to do that - they need videos of screaming idiots and teasers that show nothing before they believe something could be impactful.

But again, the value in Corinda is not the tricks but in the techniques which truly are the fundamentals of mentalism - many lost because few have mastered them.

Having said all of that, allow me to offer some advice from someone who has been down the road.

Get a good book on mental magic and add them to your show. Don't go over the top at first. Get some of the solid Lee Earle/Larry Becker material or even some Osterlind. See how it fits you. Learn the tricks, practice them, and then try them out.

As your experience in presenting this style of magic/mystery arts grows, then start reaching out to the more esoteric stuff.

Cassidy's work is brilliant, but unless you have the stage confidence I do not care how well you execute the technique, you will fail.

Get comfortable in front of an audience presenting mind based material, then start branching out into the harder stuff. Finally, if you feel this is calling you, dive into Corinda and become a well rounded, fully functional mindreader.

Brad Henderson

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Corinda issued a series of courses each dedicated to one skill which made up - what he believed to be - the core skill set need to be a mentalist. How anyone can conclude that Corinda in any way leads to Derren Brown rip-offs is beyond me. Perhaps they have never actually read the book?

I came to that conclusion because of how many people I see who pick up 13 Steps, fail to read between the lines, and just perform bad mind-reading tricks or even worse YouTube videos.

If one were to master the skills in Corinda, he or she would be able, at any time, to create the illusion of mind reading/mind control/etc. Sadly, many people never get this far because several of the steps are, quite frankly, hard.

On that we agree. There's a lot of stuff in 13 Steps I still don't do because I don't feel that it's performance-ready.

(As Steerpike has written in other threads, he holds nothing but contempt for such thorough pedagogical approaches.)

I want the exact posts where I said that it no uncertain terms I am opposed to long-term study.

Cassidy's work is brilliant, but unless you have the stage confidence I do not care how well you execute the technique, you will fail.

Alright, then. If that is the case, then please explain to me why I am wrong in suggesting Fundamentals as a good book for beginners. Why am I so full of **** when I recommend getting Fundamentals first, and then moving on to Corinda and Anneman?

If you care as you say you do, then help me understand instead of just whacking the ruler across my knuckles again, because I sure as hell am not learning anything this way.

Dec 14, 2007
Can we evolve beyond the line by line tedious replies, please?

In your post re: Card College you dismiss it because you felt it was too much material. You then went on and on about how you did not feel someone laying out a path for you was productive - citing a saxophone teacher. I do not have time to delve into your old posts for you. But based on the heated discussion concerning large scale pedagogical texts, it was reasonable to conclude that you held them in contempt. Perhaps you were unclear in staring your position.

As to your conclusion that I am rapping your knuckles over recommending Cassidy for beginners - I encourage you to reread my post with an open mind.

Cassidy is a brilliant man, and a friend. However, I think in order to really move into the world of mind reading, it behooves one to have as much performance experience as possible. Hence, I recommend a more "trick based" approach for the true novice. Then, after seeing how that feels for them, would it be time to begin studying other works.

Having said that, I see no problem with someone serious about mentalism jumping in with both feet into Corinda - in fact, that seriousness is what will be required for success. My "knuckle rapping" to you comes not in a recommendation of Fundamentals, but in your dismissal of Corinda based - as is often the case with you - on nothing more than your own egotistic worldview.

But what do I know? People should look at those questions I posed on the advice thread and then weight people's opinions based on that knowledge.

Right?

Brad Henderson

p.s. As to your learning. I encourage you to look up the story of the student and the tea cup. I read it first in Cage's Silence. Lovely story. It will explain why your lap is wet.

Sep 1, 2007
Let me then clarify in order.

My criticism of Card College was that it was an information overload at a huge investment, which is very intimidating to beginners. Hanging out at the magic shop, I would see these new guys walk in, look at Card College, and they were stunned at how much it cost. The recommendations usually ended up along the lines of Braue, Erdnase, and Ammar as a result. Small investments with respectable content were much less intimidating to the novice. The saxophone teacher example was to illustrate that it was ignorant to assume that the student is always at fault and the teacher never is.

To the second point, I'm not entirely sure I understand that assertion of having more performance experience as I thought the ideal was to always be performing anyway. How much should we be performing and at what point are we considered experienced enough that books like Fundamentals become appropriate texts?

I suppose my confusion lies in the implication that a book written specifically for beginners should not be read by beginners in favor of the textbooks that a more intermediate student would get more out of. If I'm reading this wrong, do tell.

Third point, I am not trying to denigrate Corinda. Quite the contrary. What I am opposed to is the mindset of "get enough tricks and that automatically makes you an expert". Unfortunately, that is the subtext I hear in a lot of recommendations, whether it be a large volume like the Tarbell Course or a single-trick DVD.

Finally, I am aware of the story, thank you. If I remember correctly, I read it in one of Robert Greene's books. My problem with the assertion is that I do not feel you're speaking to me as a teacher. More like a cop giving me a ticket. Explain to me what specifically I said that's wrong and I will listen. Ask me to clarify something and I will. But do not continue to label me the poster child for magicians' arrogance and youthful ignorance and expect that to fix things.

Oct 11, 2007
13 Steps To Mentalism is without a doubt the best book to begin your knowledge of mentalism with! There isn't a better buy if you're a beginner! pIck it up!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results