The Magic Cafe

Status
Not open for further replies.
i check out the cafe as much as any other site... but you dont NEED an account to go there.. only if you want to post or use the search function... not to mention that you cant open an account using an email from yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc .. all though free email providers.

-Abe

Sep 1, 2007
Personally, I find the Cafe to be banal and obnoxious, populated mostly be self-important goons either trying desperately to establish expertise without comparative work or effort, or trying to sell you something. Tribal mentalities run strong there, and my own brief stay was short, nasty, and loaded with attacks from all sides. Of the people who weren't complete tools to me, it was obvious that most of them were not working professionals and thus could not help me with the questions I wanted answered.

The moderating staff were largely ineffectual and seemed to operate more on knee-jerk responses than actual investigation of reports. Policies were draconian to say the least. I'm normally for strict policy enforcement in a large community, but not when your staff is so ineffective.

Gossip and rumors were popular. No one was ever asked to list evidence for their claims. Attitudes between members alternated rapidly between cretinous circle-jerking and cutthroat, oafish competitiveness. They couldn't decide whether to hug each other or stab one another in the back (maybe both). What good information there was to be had was buried deep in the insipidity and bull****. It felt at times like digging for buried pirate treasure in Utah.

Visit the Cafe if you must. But those are my experiences.

D

Deleted member 2755

I agree with Steerpike. I originally tried to be a good member there, but I found myself not posting anymore. I honestly think 95% of the people on the board are wackos. (Yes, I said wackos.) I've also seen some acts I won't speak of which go entirely against what magicians are about. I think the Cafe needs a huge reform. I dislike the site A LOT.

There is some good knowledge on there, but I wouldn't suggest making an account. You'll find yourself among people that couldn't give a **** about magic and call themselves magicians.

-Doug

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I've looked through it only to see reviews on different things I was interested in.

A lot of the times tho All I really saw was people arguing over stuff. And this wasn't the young guys arguing with the old guys. It was the old guys yelling at the other old guys over who created what or where what came from.

Not to mention the place is way too freaking complicated to look through. They have like a forum for literally everything. Which can get confusing and frustrating to search for something.

Oct 11, 2007
I've been doing magic ever sence i was 15 years old I'm 50 now,been on all the web sites and this site will bring you to the cutting edge.You could take Kenners 1on1's and make a living,with lot's of practice.LOT'S AND LOT'S OF PRACTICE.When you liston to his do's and don'ts that would be a 1on1 it's self.There is a reason they named it THEORY 11!

I agree with Steerpike. I originally tried to be a good member there, but I found myself not posting anymore. I honestly think 95% of the people on the board are wackos. (Yes, I said wackos.) I've also seen some acts I won't speak of which go entirely against what magicians are about. I think the Cafe needs a huge reform. I dislike the site A LOT.

There is some good knowledge on there, but I wouldn't suggest making an account. You'll find yourself among people that couldn't give a **** about magic and call themselves magicians.

-Doug
wow........

Jul 8, 2008
There is a lot of stuff, but all of it is good. You will find SOOOOOOO much more there than you will EVER find here. If you had a question about ANYTHING or was curious about ANYTHING and you asked it there, then you will get a response that will help you. Joining was the best decision I have ever made because of the knowledge these actual professional magi share with you there. They know what they're talking about.

I've been doing magic ever sence i was 15 years old I'm 50 now,been on all the web sites and this site will bring you to the cutting edge.You could take Kenners 1on1's and make a living,with lot's of practice.LOT'S AND LOT'S OF PRACTICE.When you liston to his do's and don'ts that would be a 1on1 it's self.There is a reason they named it THEORY 11!
50 years??? ur seasoned huh????...lol....just kidding....

There is a lot of stuff, but all of it is good. You will find SOOOOOOO much more there than you will EVER find here. If you had a question about ANYTHING or was curious about ANYTHING and you asked it there, then you will get a response that will help you. Joining was the best decision I have ever made because of the knowledge these actual professional magi share with you there. They know what they're talking about.
theory 11...(9)...magic cafe....( u finally score)

Jan 19, 2008
I have been banned twice....first time was a deal i made thru cafe and paypal screwed up and i got dinged for it so i was off. Then i made a new account and even sent the guys stuff back to make it even yet he got me banned with no proof of anything as we were even. Im out over 150 because of the cafe and i get banned and they dont.

But i do think besides all the doorknobs and people cough steve brooks cough there is a lot of info on that site and lots of questions can be answered.

I have been banned twice....first time was a deal i made thru cafe and paypal screwed up and i got dinged for it so i was off. Then i made a new account and even sent the guys stuff back to make it even yet he got me banned with no proof of anything as we were even. Im out over 150 because of the cafe and i get banned and they dont.

But i do think besides all the doorknobs and people cough steve brooks cough there is a lot of info on that site and lots of questions can be answered.
make that a 10 to 1 advantage....theory 11....

Sep 1, 2007
Steer, buddy. I find your post both accurate and highly ironic.

We getting closer to common ground, yes?

I figured you'd find some irony in there. Of course, you know what they say. Never try to bull**** a bull****ter.

While I'm thinking of it, I've heard some stories about Brooks being a little shady with his sponsors. In particular, I heard there was a falling out with Leaping Lizards. While it strikes me as plausible, I'm having a hard time finding people willing to corroborate. Do you have any info on this you could weigh in on? If I'm going to hate someone, I want them to deserve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results