Get the card to top?

Jan 19, 2009
Hi,
I think passes is the best way, but can you recomand some good dvds to learn from, and what passes do you think is the easiest to learn?

Double undercut - it looks kinda weird, taking some cards from the bottom to the top.

Always when I am doing tricks i do double undercut and herman pass.

I am not so good at herman pass. I've watched a tutorial on youtube, but it wasnt very good so maybe you know a dvd where I can learn the herman pass propaly.

Thank you.

Jan 19, 2009
its looks great. but can u have the spectator to put the card in the middle and then do the cut to get it to the top

Jul 8, 2008
Tintagel
Hi,
I think passes is the best way, but can you recomand some good dvds to learn from, and what passes do you think is the easiest to learn?

Double undercut - it looks kinda weird, taking some cards from the bottom to the top.

Always when I am doing tricks i do double undercut and herman pass.

I am not so good at herman pass. I've watched a tutorial on youtube, but it wasnt very good so maybe you know a dvd where I can learn the herman pass propaly.

Thank you.

First thing how long have you been studing magic for what are the outlooks for you, do you want to professionally work one day or are you purly practising for yourself?

Personnally I feel the same way about passes you can make them basically invisible from certain angles if you work hard enough at it .The thing is they have fundemental problems for one they cannot be done surrounded without flashing, extending your index finger is a big giveaway and sometimes a pass is noticable by the change in depth of the deck on the top left corner if you are right handed. I personally believe that all card magicians should learn the pass as it is one of the older fundemental moves, it is wise to understand roots of your art.

The Majority of working professionals I know use the double undercut as tension, simplicity are all things that play in a walkaround situation and through a simple action misdirection can be applied with ease by talking or by looking into the eyes of the spectator. This is much harder to acheive with a pass the tension in your hands or face can be seen a mile off, it has to become second nature. Think to your self when you first saw a magic for the first time did you notice the double undercut or did you did you just let it fly as the deck is being shuffled.

If you plan on continuing your quest for the pass herman style, I would suggest purchasing the spread pass taught by chad nelson on the dan and dave website, or you you could purchase the outjogged hermann shift by aaron fisher here. I personnaly prefer the spread pass as everything is motivated all you need to do is learn the mechanics you can also perfect these passes significantly quickly in comparasion to the classic pass.

I hope this helps

matt

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
So So So many methods to get a card from the middle to top or bottom.

-A double undercut is standard but still very deceptive.
-Consider leaning a few controls, which can be found in various books, a personal favourite of mine being 'By Forces Unseen' by Ernest Earick, many beginner DVDs and books will have more on this topic.
-A pass is good, however misdirection is your best asset if you do this

My method is to simply do a false cut and get the card to the top, or something similar to the fan control by Joel Pascal.

Hi,

The pass is not the best. As for the double undercut => act that its natural to you and they'll accept it as natural to you. Hell, Dani DaOrtiz would fool you using it. Obviously considering other methods is not a bad options too, it depends on your taste.

A control is totally dependable on the context of the trick you're doing. I bet you consider the pass the best because it fits in most contexts you're doing.

Consider the Stop trick ( spec's stops you as you deal the cards => his selection ). If she replaces it in the center, and then she stops you at the 4th card, its a totally different trick in their mind than where they shuffle and stop you at their card. Way different.

@flyinggazelle:
I had a thread on many misconceptions on the pass, I doubt you'll have problems finding it.

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
A convincing overhand shuffle (top packet retention) also works quite well. It's a very casual action and something that most spectators don't find suspicious. Whatever method you use it should fit with the rest of your trick.

Cheers!

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
just drill the pass. best way ever.

it might take you a few months, like it took everyone who's learnt the pass, but they can all tell you that it is well worth it.

Feb 28, 2008
Hey... I'm a big fan of the Herman pass and think it's my favourite control. It's the most natural looking pass to me, though, as someone said earlier, the spread pass is great too.

The double undercut is a great move. I tend only use it though when I have more than one card selection. It may seem weird for you to do, but I've never gotten caught by a spec thinking something was fishy, and that's the reason why the move has been around so long... no one thinks anything of it. I found if, I tell people I'm shuffling and I do a double undercut, they think it's a legit.

You might want to look at The Bluff Pass and The Cherry Control. Bluff Pass is on the T-11 one on ones and the Cherry Control is on DnD's site.

May 8, 2008
England
A convincing overhand shuffle (top packet retention) also works quite well.

Extremely well :)
I often outjog the card from the back and then just do a faro... But there are so many great controls, marlo tilt, bluff pass...

But with passes I mainly use the turnover pass or the spread pass, seem to work well :)

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
sooo many methods

pass, spread pass, clipshift, any sort of control such as riffle shuffle, over hand shuffle, you could do a Diagonal Palm Shift, a side steal, hindu shuffle, double undercut done well after practice, the list goes on and on. buy royal road to card magic. it will give you dozens of answers to that question and many more

Jul 8, 2008
Tintagel
@flyinggazelle:
I had a thread on many misconceptions on the pass, I doubt you'll have problems finding it.

Thanks for the tip I will take the time reading it. If this is turing into another 'controlling a card thread' I must say that the best control I've personally seen, for a single card. Is the riffle shuffle control from royal road, I have a friend who has perfected it.

matt

Sep 1, 2007
My favourite control is this one - place the card in the middle, then snap your fingers, bringing it to the top. The trick is in getting the finger snap just right, but a look at all the youtube videos out there should really help with this.

Joking aside, the side steal is a very good control to the top, and I am a big fan of "double undercut followed by false shuffle" sequences.

to answer your question the fan control is pretty good and is a great convincer. In my opinion i believe it necessary to learn and practice the pass. False shuffles also are necessity due to the fact that cards should always be shuffled to make it seem as if you lost the card. The fan control would really help build your confidence while you find a control that works for you. hope all this helps.

"The Marlo-Thompson Bluff Pass" found in "Card Finesse"-Jon Racherbaumer is an example of pure finesse & simplicity. It flies by even experienced cardicians, and as with all bluff techniques, it requires big cojones and fluidity.

Ron Bauer's "In Frame Control" is an easy & efficient control. You can find it on Steven Youell's website http://www.stevenyouell.net/ .
You must become a member to access the site...it's worth it, believe me.

The Side Steal to Top is another great control.

There are too many to mention in this thread, but, I have suggessted the above because I know they work...

Best regardz,
DomK :);)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results