Masters of Illusion

May 12, 2009
hi every one! i just want to get people opinions on the show masters of illusion. i like the show because it helps me with my presentation and it is the only magic show on tv where i live. what i don't like is magics biggest secrets revealed is after it. here's a question, what would you change in the show if you directed it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
What would i change about the show? A lot.

I like the show, it often inspires me an it allows me to see performances of professional magicians. However, there is also a lot of bad magic in the show. Mostly in the street magic parts and sometimes in the stage shows as well.

As for the street magic, i would get rid of the terrible performers they have now and replace them with better ones. The only good ones i've seen are Dan Sperry, Zach, and Nathan Gibson. Many others are simply beginners and can barely cut the deck.

I would also have to go through each routine to see if it is acceptable. Someone who hasn't enough practice is definitely not gonna be on the show. An example of this is Adam Wylie's coin routine. It was sheer torture. Patter wasn't thought out, presentation wasn't that great, and his coin roll was terrible. You would think that a person performing on public television would actually take the time to master a move before he performs it.

But overall, it is a good show and there are many great performers in the show. My favorite was Adam Trace and his presentation of the vanishing egg; it was pure genius. So i will continue to watch it.

P.S. I do not mean to offend the producers of the show. I do understand that Gay Blackstone may not be a professional magician even though she's a descendant of Harry Blackstone. She may not be able to tell good magic from bad magic and i'm not criticizing her on that.

May 12, 2009
i agree with you, watching adam wylie perform the coin routine was so bad. what was wierd was he took so much time to build up the "are u a magician" when he was trying to make the coin dissapear in the guy's hand. iy never dissapeared, it was like he just added that part to make his act longer.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
i agree with you, watching adam wylie perform the coin routine was so bad. what was wierd was he took so much time to build up the "are u a magician" when he was trying to make the coin dissapear in the guy's hand. iy never dissapeared, it was like he just added that part to make his act longer.

no it's not that part. That was used as misdirection so he could steal his watch. It is a ggod idea but he didn't build it up enough. He should have made a bigger deal out of it. After all, he did steal his watch without him knowing it, which is very impressive.

hi every one! i just want to get people opinions on the show masters of illusion. i like the show because it helps me with my presentation and it is the only magic show on tv where i live. what i don't like is magics biggest secrets revealed is after it. here's a question, what would you change in the show if you directed it?
in my area the only show that comes on is criss angel mindfreak...he hasn't been on the scene in a while..so i'm out of luck .....

Dec 14, 2007
Were you the guy that performed the yogi thread only to get absolutely no reaction out of what should have been a miracle?

Brad Henderson

Dec 14, 2007
For the viewing audience, there was no impact. It was just a stunt - no build up, no climax, no out.

Shame too, done right that thing is a miracle.

Brad

Dec 14, 2007
What channel may I ask, can I see you perform?

First, the premise that one must be on tv in order to have a valid critique of someone who is on tv is baseless. By that standard we would only ever see a bunch of backslapping and self congratulatory circle jerking by those in the biz deluding themselves that what they are offering is of quality. We have that already. Its called Masters of Illusions.

Besides, if I were to list my credits, the most it would do is come across as a desperate plea for attention. If you want my cv you can pm me.

When it comes to critiquing the only requisite is knowledge. Has the person seen the work in question, and (other than simple 'I liked it opinions) do they have the knowledge to evaluate the performance in context. In other words: Whether I make millions as an unknown performer, free meals as a reality tv star, or if I have my own show on broadway - none of that has any bearing on the opinions and criticism I - or anyone - can have of a performance. However, I can understand that if someone has never seen magic before how they may believe an awful performer is great as they have no basis for comparison. So to assure you, I have been performing magic for over 30years, it is my sole source of income, I have acted as an advisor and consultant for several magicians and on several magic projects, and because of my experience and background I was asked to be a reviewer for magic magazine (which I have been for 5 years, I think), and have authored several critical works for them and other major magazines. So, am I allowed to have an opinion now?

To wit: Draven, there was no implication in my post. While methodologically you handled the effect adequately, presntationally neither you as a persona nor your verbal/dramatic handling conveyed any sense of power or compelled interest. You were simply doing something. You might have well have been scrambling eggs. Now part of this results from choices made by the producers, however more importabtly, most came from the lack of any dramatic verbal set up or any type of conyenance theatrically of what was happening. Now, so you know I am not talking out of my behind, I have worked with some very experienced side show performers and even myself guided one of the country's if not the world's most commercially successful purveyors of such oddities. I know the stunt, I know what can be had from it, and you left the impact on the table.
(Note; I am not refering to the reactions of the audience around you. People who judge magic based on the reactions of people in the 'demo video' are ignorant neophytes without the ability of critical consideration. I am talking about the lack of impact on the viewing audience. Having said that, I would encourage you to watch the tape again. Perhaps your definition of 'strong reaction' and mine are just different,)
I know, I know. This is magic and we are all supposed to hug each other and tell everyone they are great. But this glad handing only leads to mediocrity in the art. When you put something out before the public, which is a choice YOU made, William, then you should expect criticism.

Finally, I should leave you with this observation: a hat and funny outfit does not a character make. While some may find odd interesting for its own sake, some who watched the show with me commented 'what's the guy in the weird get up supposed to be?'. I say this not to hurt your feelings nor discourage you from having a unique sense of style, but to let you know that inspite of your intentions or how you think you may be coming off, that which is being put forth is unclear to at least the majority of viewers in the sample I have discussed this with.

If you know anything about the theater, you know that one of the most important goals we can have is to learn how we are perceived by others. Hopefully this information will prove valuable in that regard.

Brad Henderson

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Omg you're Wayne Phelps? There are videos on Expert village on Youtube with a guy named Wayne Phelps teaching coin tricks (badly). Is that seriously you?

I saw some of the tricks on the show and i thought "Wow, this guy has improved a lot since his videos with Expert Village" And now i find out it's the all-knowing William Draven.

This is just weird....

Omg you're Wayne Phelps? Is that seriously you? ...And now i find out it's the all-knowing William Draven.

You don't get to be "all knowing" without making a **** load of big mistakes in the process. What is important is that you learn from those mistakes, and continue to learn throughout your life. Never be satisfied with where you are, always seek to be better than yourself.

Also to a lesser point, for the sake of saying it, I don't really consider myself "all knowing". I'm just always trying to learn something new.

Henderson:
Good to know you're comments are in earnest criticism. It appeared for a short time that you had an abnormally large axe to grind for some reason that wasn't apparent. Remember I can't interpret tone of voice through text, I'm not the cold reading expert after all. I've got a lot more to my character than a funny hat. The network though, has ultimate say on what image they want to present. As for patter, I do give a full two minute long build up to the presentation. Again, having not seen the footage, I don't know how much of that they chose to use.

Magic Shadow 9:
I perform a Belly Ribbon, Human Blockhead, Hand in Animal Trap, and Popcorn Kernel from Eye effect(s). All of which have aired with the exception of the popcorn kernel I believe.

May 27, 2009

I do not understand...
In the program they revealed secrets??
After their pérformance they show how to do all of the effects???

And... I think it is a great program but there are really bad performers

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results