A tip that will solve all problems

Sep 22, 2007
I'll get straight to the point.

If you wanna get good at Cardistry, all you have to do is...

PRACTICE.

No amount of tips or tutorials will help you if you don't practice.

Having problems with a cut? Can't seem to get that fan even? Can't seem to catch that aerial?

PRACTICE.

Back in the day, before theory 11, before Dan and Dave's 'The Trilogy', before Daniel Madison's 'DANGEROUS', people actually practiced their asses off just to get a move right, let alone perfect it.

Even before they had all the DVDs and whatnot, did Dan and Dave have anyone to ask for tips? Did Daniel Madison have anyone to ask for tips? Did Brian Tudor had anyone to ask for tips? No. Instead, they practiced to get their moves down perfectly.

My point is, don't expect to be good without a lot of hard work.

Nov 27, 2008
Practice

Good point i well spend months on a flourish to master it and i keep with it until i can do it well then move on to the next one.

May 3, 2008
I agree. I remember when I first saw The Trilogy's trailer and I had NO idea how hard the material would be.

My advice is to make sure you don't bite off more than you can chew. I took it one step at a time and started with the sybil and worked my way up.

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
But if you have two hours or more every day to practice, then you're not performing enough.

When you first start off, you really shouldn't be performing. Only practicing. Then when you feel confident, go out and start performing.

Practice and performing are mutual, not mutually exclusive. Just because you perform shouldn't mean you don't set aside practice time. And 2 hours? C'mon, there are at least 7 or 8 hours in your day where you have free time. You can practice for 2 hours.

Sep 1, 2007
When you first start off, you really shouldn't be performing. Only practicing. Then when you feel confident, go out and start performing.

Where do you draw the line? At what point do you arbitrarily consider yourself good enough?

I'm an advocate of constantly pushing comfort zones.

Practice and performing are mutual, not mutually exclusive.

Who said they were?

And 2 hours? C'mon, there are at least 7 or 8 hours in your day where you have free time. You can practice for 2 hours.

Well, if magic is the only thing you've got going for you, then sure. Personally speaking, I have my business to develop by prospecting new clients, numerous books on my reading list, I'm learning Japanese, I'm writing two new non-magic ebooks, working on my new internet radio show Whispers from the Vault, meeting people for business luncheons, practicing guitar and vocals, am a member of the Toastmasters, joining the Society for Creative Anachronism, going out on bar crawls with friends on the weekends, developing a new Photoshop webcomic called The League of True Metal Warriors, scripting new parlor shows, and writing new screenplays.

In other words, some of us prefer to have an interesting life that doesn't revolve around playing with cards in our bedrooms for most of our existence. I practice, yes. But not at the expense of actually performing.

Sep 20, 2008
Well, if magic is the only thing you've got going for you, then sure. Personally speaking, I have my business to develop by prospecting new clients, numerous books on my reading list, I'm learning Japanese, I'm writing two new non-magic ebooks, working on my new internet radio show Whispers from the Vault, meeting people for business luncheons, practicing guitar and vocals, am a member of the Toastmasters, joining the Society for Creative Anachronism, going out on bar crawls with friends on the weekends, developing a new Photoshop webcomic called The League of True Metal Warriors, scripting new parlor shows, and writing new screenplays.

The bar crawl was the most interesting part. nice. :)

Aug 5, 2008
In other words, some of us prefer to have an interesting life that doesn't revolve around playing with cards in our bedrooms for most of our existence. I practice, yes. But not at the expense of actually performing.

Then you are not serious about flourishes,and you swear you need to practice all life. You only practice till you get it down, and no you don't have to be in your room,You can do flourishes everywhere you want. you can practice in an office and you can practice on your way to college while your chauffeur drives you there, you can also practice in class or while you socialize with your friends ect.

Please don't make it sound like you have to be a no life loser in his bedroom to be a flourisher.
You are just speaking from ignorance.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results