Fix your patter!

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Ok, this problem has annoyed the f*cking crap out of me for the longest time. I see so many people doing magic for people using extremely unprofessional patter. I won't say any names but many of the people on these forums have this problem too.

Professional magicians may know what i'm talking about. Although i'm no professional, i can still tell when a person's patter is not well thought out. Every time i see a person perform with this kind of patter, chills run down my back. I tried to find a video of what i mean but everything i found was made by a theory11 member and i didn't want to offend them.

Anyways, i wanna try to help you fix your patter and make it sound more professional. So it's best if you avoid saying things like:

"So....."

My english teacher once told me "so" is the weakest word in the english language. In magic, it's no different. Avoid saying stuff like "So you're card is lost in the middle of the deck..." instead, say something like "With your card lost in the deck....". Instead of saying "So I'm gonna try to find your card." say "My job is to locate your card."

"Now if..."

Instead of saying "Now if i snap my fingers your card jumps to the top" say something like "With a snap of my fingers, a card jumps to the top. Does it look familiar?"

"Um"

This is one i hear everywhere. Now it's ok to occasionally say "um" in your patter, just don't say it 5 times per sentence.

"Right?"

This is not that bad but it kind of implies that you're unsure of what's happening and you have to ask the spectator to confirm it. It's best to avoid saying it after a sentence. Don't say "Your card is lost in the middle right?" say it as a statement "Your card is now lost in the middle"

Now i know this may sound like i'm too full of myself here but i just wanna make a point. A lot of ametuers simply make up their patter on the fly. It's best to actually plan out and rehearse your patter before a performance.

I'm not a great describer and i often have troubling saying what i mean, so hopefully some of you understand and can maybe say it more clearly than i did.

I hope this helps some of you improve your patter in the future.

P.S. I tried to find a video of what i mean, but all of them were made by Theory11 members and i didn't wanna embarrass anyone.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Uh.. So if... Okay... There is actually a way to fix this, you could simply take speech classes in school or Public speaking and that should do the job.

Also you could probably find books on the subject at most book stores. I think Scripting Magic would also help cure the problem.

May 12, 2009
thanks alot! i have a problem with- right? i have been working on my patter alot. your patter can add so much more magic than what happens.

May 21, 2009
Right you are. Sometimes it's better to say nothing at all then so speak from your ass in a performance. Thanks for the post.

Dec 30, 2008
I agree with most of it, I say "Right?" to make sure they understand what is going on. Once again I agree with most of it.

Feb 28, 2008
I think it's just a case of people not really working on their patter at all... and even then, getting in front of people becomes a different world from performing in front of a mirror.

As an English Teacher, I think it's fine seeing people with poor patter... it's just a question if they make improvements later on.

Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
I agree with all of the above but would like to add.

I watched a magician use the phrase "Did you see it happen?"

I completely agree that this can work but if every trick uses that line and with the tone of "you can't catch me I'm the gingerbread man" then it becomes almost derogatory towards the spectator. As if they are somehow dumb if they "missed it" when there shouldn't be much to catch anyways.

Just two cents maybe its worth more or less... i dont know

~Vintage

Dec 10, 2007
i agree, i was in an unfortunate but fortunate situation. When i first got into magic i was a young kid. I was only taught 3 tricks that involved basic sleights (a couple forces, the glide, and key card principles) at that time i really wanted to learn more but wasn't smart enough to go to the library (the internet was not available at that time). Instead of being depressed about it, I performed the hell out of these 3 tricks and worked on my patter so as to get the very most of the effect and even as a young kid was able to figure out little nuances about what to say and how to say it. I only performed these 3 tricks for 10 years or so. I wasn't a practicing magician or anything, but I could kill an audience with these 3 tricks and leaving them to think that I really had some crazy magic abilities.

My reason for this story is, I think that kids these days are bombarded with new products every week and don't have the time or put in the necessary time and effort to learn a single effect to it's full potential (by this i mean patter, technique, presentation, etc.). The internet is the main medium for this abundance of available magic tricks and for me it's even very tempting to buy this trick here and this one over here and that cool one is coming out next week, etc. But it takes discipline to limit yourself to your full capabilities. Perform one trick perfectly, not 10 tricks half-@ss.

Don't forget that presentation is 90% of an effect. The internet can work as a double edged sword in that it provides a way to learn, but don't bury yourself in your own knowledge.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
while i can see the value in much of your saying and even agree with a lot of it i would also like to make one other point. Part of how your patter works is dependent on the performer you are. you shouldn't talk in a way that is different than the persona you put forth. Two of my favorite performer's to watch or guilty of several of the things you have brought up. Slydini's first language was defniitely not english and as such his grammar was no where near what you are looking for, but it was this fact that made his persona so endearing and friendly as well as entertaining. another example is everyone's favorite clutz lennart green. His performance is one of bumbling and "luck". in that setting it would make sense to be unsure and questioning and if you watch some of his performances he is constantly looking to the spectator for "guidance". while for the majority of performers improving upon patter grammer is a good idea we must also remember to be true to ourselves and develop ourselves as individual performers with unique traits that show more than just a top hat and cloak.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
I agree with you completely. But so far the magicians that i've seen don't seem to portray that kind of persona. It's ok if it's part of your character to be hesitant and shy. Then you can use those phrases to enhance that character.

What i'm talking about is mostly ametuer magicians who don't really have a character. So they shouldn't be talking awkwardly like that.

I have seen performers with the "nervous guy" act. And when they talk awkwardly, i don't mind at all, i know it's part of their act. But when i see a teenage magician going up to people on the streets and start saying "Um" 5 times per sentence, then shivers crawl up my spine.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
yeah and a lot of that comes from a large number of people practicing and performing for webcams. People need to put themselves out there and perform more. what a lot of magician's dont understand is that you are going to mess up. you have to perform and screw up and make mistakes to really learn and develop because if you just sit at home practicing because your so scared of not doing something right, your missing a vital element of development and the art. The more you perform the more you can develop your character, and your patter and make your magic all the more meaningful and flowing. personally i love performing, i love introducing a spectator to who i am through magic, half the time im not even doing a trick just talking. Thats one of the reason's i love watching Ricky Jay so much, he isn't just saying watch me do this, he is pulling you into his world and telling a story. people need to get out more and perform. if you haven't messed a trick up yet in front of an audience you haven't performed enough, if at all. life is about making mistakes and learning from those mistakes.

Jun 7, 2009
Ok, this problem has annoyed the f*cking crap out of me for the longest time. I see so many people doing magic for people using extremely unprofessional patter. I won't say any names but many of the people on these forums have this problem too.

Professional magicians may know what i'm talking about. Although i'm no professional, i can still tell when a person's patter is not well thought out. Every time i see a person perform with this kind of patter, chills run down my back. I tried to find a video of what i mean but everything i found was made by a theory11 member and i didn't want to offend them.

Anyways, i wanna try to help you fix your patter and make it sound more professional. So it's best if you avoid saying things like:

"So....."

My english teacher once told me "so" is the weakest word in the english language. In magic, it's no different. Avoid saying stuff like "So you're card is lost in the middle of the deck..." instead, say something like "With your card lost in the deck....". Instead of saying "So I'm gonna try to find your card." say "My job is to locate your card."

"Now if..."

Instead of saying "Now if i snap my fingers your card jumps to the top" say something like "With a snap of my fingers, a card jumps to the top. Does it look familiar?"

"Um"

This is one i hear everywhere. Now it's ok to occasionally say "um" in your patter, just don't say it 5 times per sentence.

"Right?"

This is not that bad but it kind of implies that you're unsure of what's happening and you have to ask the spectator to confirm it. It's best to avoid saying it after a sentence. Don't say "Your card is lost in the middle right?" say it as a statement "Your card is now lost in the middle"

Now i know this may sound like i'm too full of myself here but i just wanna make a point. A lot of ametuers simply make up their patter on the fly. It's best to actually plan out and rehearse your patter before a performance.

I'm not a great describer and i often have troubling saying what i mean, so hopefully some of you understand and can maybe say it more clearly than i did.

I hope this helps some of you improve your patter in the future.

P.S. I tried to find a video of what i mean, but all of them were made by Theory11 members and i didn't wanna embarrass anyone.

whoooo. too much word

With the whole 'not making your patter up on the spot" I sort of like it. I'm sure$ most of us here all hate seeing someone copy someone elses patter, but I'm sure we've all done it, I know I have and I regret it majorly, but it's all part of the learning curve.

Now making your patter up on the spot forces you to come up with your own ideas. It's just like and improv drama scene, you just have to work with what you've got.

However, making your own patter up while being payed to perform magic, I don't like. Yes, obviously you can try out small changes, but don't make all of your patter up then, that's what going out and practising is for.

Cheers, Tom

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
Here's another one: "Just like that" or "and just like that"
I've watched videos of myself performing and I realize I say it WAY to much, I annoyed myself.
Like, three times in my ACR "Just like that your card rises back to the top..." :rolleyes: I'm working on that.

Sep 30, 2008
Pittsburgh
I had a discussion one time with my history teacher about giving lectures. He talked about using the word "um" and how so many people develop the bad habit of using it when they speak.

He gave this suggestion,

When you come to a point when you're speaking where you think you're going to use the word "um," instead of saying the word, take a pause.

We use it a lot if there's a certain point in the trick that doesn't come to mind right away and you pause for a split second to remember.

"So it's lost in the deck, *place it on table* um, then um, all it takes it a wave of my hand and..."

"So it's lost in the deck, *place it on table* *pause* then *pause* all it takes it a wave of my hand and..."

It makes you sound more intelligent and it makes things sound a lot cleaner.

Another thing I can't stand is the obsession with using the passive voice and then switching verb tenses half way through. One of my biggest pet peeves.

"A card is selected by doing this, then this is done, then if you watch, the card changes!"

see the switch? passive voice to the present.

To go along with that, constant narration of what's happening is NOT NECESSARY.

If you're demonstrating a sleight, maybe that's okay, but not for magic. Narration is no excuse for patter.

-Kevin

Jun 2, 2008
to be honest and this is my opinion but i totally disagree

if someones personality or way of performing is casual then i dont see much wrong with that

i think everyone has their own way of performing and really if a magician acts as if they are not quite sure then it makes them look better when something good happens.

i see your point but really does depend on a persons style and how they feel comfortable performing

i for one would feel quite a fool talking like that and i prefer talking to my spectators as i would normally

for example.. your with someone and you decide to show them a trick. suddenly out of nowhere you transform into a different person, god be yourself !

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
to be honest and this is my opinion but i totally disagree

if someones personality or way of performing is casual then i dont see much wrong with that

i think everyone has their own way of performing and really if a magician acts as if they are not quite sure then it makes them look better when something good happens.

i see your point but really does depend on a persons style and how they feel comfortable performing

i for one would feel quite a fool talking like that and i prefer talking to my spectators as i would normally

for example.. your with someone and you decide to show them a trick. suddenly out of nowhere you transform into a different person, god be yourself !

You do raise a valid point. Yes, it's important to be yourself, but you should still show a little class.

I don't know about you, but when i talk, i am never hesitant or nervous. I rarely say any um's or anything. This applys to most people i have met. It's just that people are somewhat nervous in front of an audience so they like to use extra words like "So" and "Um" to make themselves more comfortable. However, using those words too much can be annoying.

All i'm trying to say is that it's good to be yourself but just try to sound a bit more professional when doing magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results