Using full stacked decks

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
Hopefully there are people here who uses stacked decks in their performances. What i want to learn is, what are the things which can be done with them? How practical are they during performance? Would one be able to do something like strolling with it as opposed to a table show?

Thanks a lot people.

Sep 19, 2008
Singapore
I use the Mnemonica stack from Juan Tamariz.
All of the routines using Mnemonica Stack can be found on Juan Tamariz's book - Mnemonica.
The tricks are good. We can use the stack for gambling demonstration, some good routine, etc.
The great thing about Mnemonica stack is that there is no pattern. So the spectator can freely check the card without knowing that it's a stacked deck.
But, it needed some time to remember the stack.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Honestly, stacked decks are extremely practical, and you can do almost anything with them. In essence, at any point in the effect, you know exactly what their card is and where it is in the deck. That's pretty much complete control, limited only by creativity. But, in addition, both Aronson's Bound to Please and Tamariz's Mnemonica provide you with encyclopedic volumes of effects with stacked decks. Highly recommended.

Jan 13, 2008
New York, USA
There are two main types of full deck stacks: systems (such as Si Stebbins stack and the Osterland Breakthrough Card System) and memorized decks (such as the Tamariz stack and the Aronson stack). With a memorized deck, the performer has memorized the position of every card in the deck. With a system, if you look at a card in the deck, you are able to derive the next card in the deck by using a calculation. In my opinion, systems are a lot more limited. I'm pretty sure Osterland created his system just for mental effects (knowing a selected card without forces or peeks). I really recommend Mnemonica by Juan Tamariz. It really is an encyclopedia of memorized deck magic. With the mnemonica stack, you can do things such as several gambling demonstrations, mental divinations, ACAAN effects, and hundreds of other things. Tamariz touches on how to improvise with the stack, and you will also learn how to stack the deck IN FRONT OF YOUR SPECTATORS. The mnemonica stack also has a built in feature where you can easily transfer to stay-stack order (a very traditional deck stack/system) and back to mnemonica. I've had the book for almost a year, and I've only read small bits and pieces, but I really do recommend it if you are interested in the memorized deck.

-Alex

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
Woah, thanks for the answers you guys. A memorised deck stack huh, i have heard a lot about the Tamariz Mnemonica version, seems to be really worth my sweat and blood to learn it. I will definately go and check it out. And being able to memorise the position of each and every card is pure lethal.

Is there anywhere where i can find a description of the sort of effects you can do with these stacked decks? I know this may be a stretch, but let me know if you cant.

Jan 13, 2008
New York, USA
With a memorized deck, you can perform a lot of the tricks you probably already perform, except you don't need to have a card selected and returned. You can simply have a card named by the spectator.
The traditional use for the memorized deck is the multiple selection routine done with cards called for. A spectator names a card and you produce it in some magical way. This goes on for multiple spectators. In the book, Mnemonica, Tamariz discusses this type of routine in depth.
Another traditional way to use the memorized deck is for "divinations" (mind reading routines). Ex. You can have your back turned, have a spectator remove a card and place it in their pocket, and you can then go on to tell them what card is in their pocket.
In the book, Mnemonica, Juan Tamariz describes several traditional tricks using stacked decks (like my two examples above) and teaches numerous (like hundreds) of other effects by several different magicians. There's a section of the book that teaches many effects that can ONLY be done with the mnemonica order. Theres also a section that teaches numerous effects that utilize a half stack (when only half the deck is stacked).
I honestly don't have very much experience performing with a memorized deck. If you want to learn more about it, you should go to the forum at the cafe that deals specifically with stacks.

-Alex

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
Many thanks alex, you have been of immense help. Looks like i will be investing in this book also. You gotta love studying magic man.

Also thank you everyone that has helped me. Much needed!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results