Off Topic: June 4th Events of China

Feb 15, 2008
Friends

I find it important that I should spread this message. I believe people have the right to know about what the country I live in has shamefully destroyed.

Twenty years ago this very day, and about the time this message is posted, thousands of students have been protesting endlessly in the Tiananmen Square of China (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiananmen_Square). Day after day, night after night, the protests were building up. Twenty years ago at approximately this moment of time, the government had sent tanks and military personel to the square. The government switched off all the lights, and the tanks moved in, the military opened fire at the peacefully, non-violent protesting students. Thousands were shot, thousands were crushed under the tanks. Bodies were taken away, and the students attempting to escape were killed mercilessly.

After the bloody slaughter, the government washed away all the blood, and attempted the fill up the bullet holes. Bodies were taken away and burnt. But the Chinese government's efforts of covering the evidence can't possibly hide such a gruesome massacre that has taken place where every morning the Chinese flag rises. Fortunately, as the protest built up, there had been a few foreign reporters at the time of the killing. The recorded video tapes were smuggled away from China, circulating around the world. Such clips can be found occasionally online, but can be censored by the Chinese government on some sites like Youtube, Wikipedia etc.

I hope that you will take the time and just give a little thought to those who died in that event. Such a shame in Chinese history. The government will probably never admit such thing has ever happened, but there is so much proof, so many videos, so many people gone 'missing' after that night, so many bullet holes that still remain in the walls and ground of the square.

I ask for nothing but a minute of silence, or a little respect, to these lives who fought bravely for democracy in China. But I urge you NOT to talk about this if you ever go to China, because you will end up in jail, maybe for life, or even execution, nobody knows for sure.

If you are really interested in this, I urge you to purchase or borrow this book from your library: http://www.amazon.com/Prisoner-State-Secret-Journal-Premier/dp/1439149380. It contains a lot of information from a rather empathetic Chinese official who was placed under house arrest after this incident until his death for supporting the students.

Thank you very much for your time

RX

Sep 20, 2008
Very interesting. I saw a Documentary about this. The chinese government actually censored anything that relates to that event from mainstream sites. Quite scary actually.

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
I just heard about this recently. Not a conspiracy theory; all logic and reasoning suggests that these events took place. It's quite upsetting to say the least.

Thanks for bringing it to the attention of those who haven't heard about it.

@sinful - What documentary did you see?

Sep 20, 2008
I cant remember the name of it. its one of those things that come by when im skimming through channels.

It was quite intense, There was an official interviewed, and he was quite hostile to both the interviewee (He's an american) and the Translator.

To put it bluntly, China is ****ed up.

Friends

I find it important that I should spread this message. I believe people have the right to know about what the country I live in has shamefully destroyed.

Twenty years ago this very day, and about the time this message is posted, thousands of students have been protesting endlessly in the Tiananmen Square of China (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiananmen_Square). Day after day, night after night, the protests were building up. Twenty years ago at approximately this moment of time, the government had sent tanks and military personel to the square. The government switched off all the lights, and the tanks moved in, the military opened fire at the peacefully, non-violent protesting students. Thousands were shot, thousands were crushed under the tanks. Bodies were taken away, and the students attempting to escape were killed mercilessly.

After the bloody slaughter, the government washed away all the blood, and attempted the fill up the bullet holes. Bodies were taken away and burnt. But the Chinese government's efforts of covering the evidence can't possibly hide such a gruesome massacre that has taken place where every morning the Chinese flag rises. Fortunately, as the protest built up, there had been a few foreign reporters at the time of the killing. The recorded video tapes were smuggled away from China, circulating around the world. Such clips can be found occasionally online, but can be censored by the Chinese government on some sites like Youtube, Wikipedia etc.

I hope that you will take the time and just give a little thought to those who died in that event. Such a shame in Chinese history. The government will probably never admit such thing has ever happened, but there is so much proof, so many videos, so many people gone 'missing' after that night, so many bullet holes that still remain in the walls and ground of the square.

I ask for nothing but a minute of silence, or a little respect, to these lives who fought bravely for democracy in China. But I urge you NOT to talk about this if you ever go to China, because you will end up in jail, maybe for life, or even execution, nobody knows for sure.

If you are really interested in this, I urge you to purchase or borrow this book from your library: http://www.amazon.com/Prisoner-State-Secret-Journal-Premier/dp/1439149380. It contains a lot of information from a rather empathetic Chinese official who was placed under house arrest after this incident until his death for supporting the students.

Thank you very much for your time

RX

First this goes to show how old I am, 33 by the way. But anyways I remember this happening when I was a kid watching TV and seeing very little about it but when I went to school thats all the teachers spoke about. I was freaked out to be honest with you I watched the space shuttle blow up live on the tube and the clips of the massacre. This was a true tragedy and we should all learn something from this. Check up on it guys and get involved in the world. Now back to the magic.

I enter on the wiki page and have that picture of a man standing in front of a tank, i never knew the backgound history of it, but its a very strong image that i aways love, i found it inspirer.
Those guys realy deserve owr respect.
(sorry for my bed inglish... istill learning)

Dec 10, 2007
Yeah, it truly is a shame that the government would do that and then cover it up......the people can't even talk about it for fearing their lives. Be proud to be American. Also, the guy in front of the tank.....called "the tank man" I remember seeing him as a kid too on tv. I saw the video and thought he was going to be crushed....if you can find the video I urge you to link it here b/c it is much more dramatic than the pictures. At one point the tanks try to go around him and he gets in front of them again. I can't imagine what was going through his mind at the time....those tanks must have been louder than hell. Sadly, no one knows what happened to the tank man.......probably another government cover up or he's hiding out scared for his life.

Jan 13, 2008
if you can find the video I urge you to link it here b/c it is much more dramatic than the pictures. At one point the tanks try to go around him and he gets in front of them again.
A simple search of "Tiananmen Square" on Youtube turned up this. Truly an amazing man. :)

Also, if you do the search, the first video is a Fox News report where they call the guy a "lone gunman." Gotta love Fox News. :rolleyes:

Edit: Also found this video. Extremely, extremely powerful video. Also, there are graphic images (of violence, obviously), so I'm just offering a word of caution. Honestly, it nearly brought me to tears watching this...it's beyond words how powerful the images/video are.

Edit 2: Just a word of warning: I don't suggest reading the comments on any of the videos linked in this post. They are YouTube videos, and as such, are full of very stupid people saying very stupid things in the comments.

Edit 3: This is a CBC news special on what happened, aired just a day after (or the day of?) the massacre. This is a lot more informative than some of the other videos out there (like the others I've linked), as it actually contains history about what led up to the massacre, and commentary instead of just the videos/images (although, they are pretty self explanatory in most cases).

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2755

Thank you for posting this. Hopefully a few people get some knowledge. I did. I didn't know the Chinese government denied this. It's like how people deny the holocaust.

Great thread. Everyone should know about these things.

-Doug

Sep 3, 2007
Rip

"June 4th 89, a day residents fear
Now known as The Massacre At Tiananmen Square
The day I turned seven they were mourning and grieving
Thousands of innocents die for what they believed in
Come with nothing but heart and a point to prove
Stood infront of tanks and refused to move
What Would You Do?
Run or stand still whens your lifes on the line
To test a mans will
Seeking change and they found but in death
Strangers yet they were my blood and flesh
This happened in China,
But you ain't gotta be asian to relate
To the struggle, pain and heartaches

You'll never know,
You'll never get it,
There is no choice,
We can't forget it
We look up
We see the same sky
We look up
We cry the very same cry

-Jin tha Emcee

from his song "Same Cry"

Dec 6, 2007
Knoxville, TN
Sorry to be the butt of the page but you realize that American History books cover up our own acts of violence and oppression as well?

We color in the picture of Christopher Columbus but don't give two cents about the fact that he raped, pillaged, enslaved, and basically committed ethnic cleansing.

You should also check out the My Lai massacre in Vietnam.

Funny as well, in the history of China we hear tons of talk about what the Germans did to the Jews but hardly any conversation of what the Japanese did to the Chinese in the Rape of Nanking.

Read Howard Zinn's "A peoples history of the united states"

P.S.
I use to live in China and have been on the Square and it is truly a tradegy. However, up to this day, the government still through thugs and police beat down any uprisings. There have been several massive protests in southern China in the last few years (1,000 people +) in regards to land and worker rights.

However, as long as you still like to buy your sh!t for cheap at walmart, our western media won't cover those uprisings. It conflicts with corporate interest too much.

Matt

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results