Controlling the chosen card to the top.

May 13, 2009
im kind of a newbie.
but i learned the pinkybreak and double undercut from you guys.
pls help.
please give me a selection of card controlling to the top.
hoping for all ur feedback.

Start workin on the pass
work on getting a outjog and then doing an over hand shuffle
death to the double undercut is a nice one
im sure others will be put here
but theoes are the ones i have and do use.
and cherry control sometimes

death to the double undercut is on the 1on1 secion
cherry control is on dan and daves website
both nice controls. i have and do use both, but i use the pass and double undercut the most
Oh and good job posting in the card section!

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Many ways of getting a card to the bottom or top.
-Double undercut is good
-Pass is also good
-Cherry control is unpractical
-I am a fan of the fan control, because the spectator can shuffle the cards
-My favourite method is to hold a break and shuffle to the top. Either that or use a glimpse.

Just read up on more books and you should be on your way to producing some jaw dropping magic.

Jun 5, 2009
deffinatly go with a pass... mines not verry good but hey i make it work... i swear laymen can fall for anything...as long as you talk to them you can do what ever you want sometimes lol
not so familiar to chery control..ill have to look into that

Dec 11, 2008
One great Source for card controls

I have learned most of my techniques from Daryl's encyclopedia of card magic. This DVD volume set is one of the best investments you will ever make. Check it out...

May 13, 2009
i bought daryls encyclopedia volume1 where he teaches the glide, finger break etc.
which volume is the most helpful?

>the pass is quite difficult, i saw someone perform it on youtube.
amazingly slow and natural,
do you have a tutorial for it?

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
I am kind of confused. I mean Double Undercut, isn't that already capable of controlling card to the top and considered one of the best for practical purposes as well?

I'll just go along with everyone else

Swing-Swivel Cut control from Born to Perform by Oz Pearlman was pretty good, in my opinion.
Pass is great with misdirection, a lot of practice though. It took me awhile to get it down.

I will admit that this is short list, but I think Double Undercut is like a pass. A very blunt one that works better than any other controls I use, or easiest than any other controls I use.

As far as tutorials go, you really shouldn't be asking around here, especially something like Cherry Control. If you want to check it out, it's in Dan and Dave's site. If you are looking to learn pass, there are tons of reference in books and VHS and DVDs.

no but there are videos on t11 site and dan and dave and ellusionist if you need video referencs. the pass you can probably find on youtube because it is such a common move but there are lots of videos on the pass. Ninja 1 from ellusionist has alot about the pass. the cherry control, death to the double you havta get from the sites i listed
Oh and the outjoged c;ontrol i believe is on card fundamentals, but dont quote me on that

May 3, 2008
I think one of the simplest and most effective ways is to just hold a break at their card and when you cut the deck to do a riffle or faro shuffle, cut to the break and just make sure that card gets to the top/bottom. I also use that same method with a Faro Shuffle to get a peak at their card.

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
I disagree with the general consensus here, that you should learn the pass. Not a good idea, in my opinion, and here's why;

The pass is very effective, yes, but you have to provide ample misdirection to pull it off. Now someone's gonna yell at me and say something along the lines of "if you're skilled enough, you shouldn't need misdirection!". Indeed. But the person in question has just started magic, why should he learn a fairly complex move (taking everything into account, it is fairly complex) when he's so new?

Personally, I'd recommend using that pinky break you've learnt once the card's in the pack, and simply cutting to it, and then shuffling the deck retaining the top card.

It never has to be more complicated than that.

-Sam H

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
I disagree with the general consensus here, that you should learn the pass. Not a good idea, in my opinion, and here's why;

The pass is very effective, yes, but you have to provide ample misdirection to pull it off. Now someone's gonna yell at me and say something along the lines of "if you're skilled enough, you shouldn't need misdirection!". Indeed. But the person in question has just started magic, why should he learn a fairly complex move (taking everything into account, it is fairly complex) when he's so new?

Personally, I'd recommend using that pinky break you've learnt once the card's in the pack, and simply cutting to it, and then shuffling the deck retaining the top card.

-Sam H

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this, nice post, Sam.

That's not to say he couldn't/shouldn't learn the pass if he wants to, but for the moment... walk before running. :)

- Sean

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
along the lines of "if you're skilled enough, you shouldn't need misdirection!".
-Sam H

Ive always hated when people throw that line around here.

I do a pretty slow pass and never gotten caught. I talk to my audience as im doing the move. To me its not misdirection though,im just,you know TALKING to my audience.Showing them that im not just there to do the darn trick and leave. instead of the "umm ok.." and long pauses when the card technician is doing the move and the audience is just staring at him.

May 13, 2009

-Sam H

thanks for understanding,
i was like woaah when they told me to learn the pass
i saw the pass and i was shocked.
im just on my 2nd month of practicing card magic.
i do it everyday like you guys said to practice and practice.
i do it in front of a mirror like all of you said.
and look for a blind spot that i could patch up and correct.

so i should do the break above their card first,
i got that one,
and i already can do the double undercut,
and i think the side steal not sure though ( where you show them their card outjogged with your right hand with a right packet and then steal an indifferent card then put it in the middle leaving the selected card on top)
is that the side steal?

what else should i learn which is in my levels grasp?

Jun 5, 2009
as far as a DU is concerned.... i dont like to use themmaybe if the spectators are LAYmen but for people i preform for a double undercut doesnt work in most cases... i use it dont get me wrong but just not my style...all a matter of skill style knowledge and audience

May 1, 2009
UK
I totaly agree with sam hardly, your just starting out in magic you want to be practicing Steps, Injogs, False Shuffles & False Cuts etc & you can learn magic for the rest of your life & you don't have to use a pass fact Jay Sankey even points this out in one of his DVDs as have other magicians. I use the pass only when needed if i don't need to use the pass i don't use it, and its not invisible. good luck with your magic & i hope this helps.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results