June 2009 :: How deep should the rabbit hole go?

Orb

Jul 19, 2009
Sweden
I personally prefer people to know that what I do is a skill and artform like dancing and painting. Also that it requires a lot of practice. Hell I would rather get the credit than my deck of cards.
I'm not sure what makes you think that if you did magic, your deck of cards would get the credit. Like Darwin Ortiz mentions in his book Strong Magic, the strongest element we magicians can use on audiences is mystery. By already explaining that what you are doing is by skill, you are blowing your chances of making an incredibly strong impression. They might give decent reactions but I doubt anyone will remember it for the rest of their lives. I'm not trying to offend you mate, I just strongly disagree with your way of thinking behind this.
You are bending the logics of reality, why ruin that image?

Aug 4, 2009
I think that most people believe that it's an illusion - a skill one can learn and practice. If you want to claim that what you do is real magic, then that's fine. Most people will know it's not, but (imo) will be amused.

There is the "willing suspension of disbelief" theory by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, which basically states: "You know it's not real. You know it can't be real. But to be able to enjoy it, accept that it is real until it is over." It's putting reality and logic on hold to enjoy something, whether it is a Tolkien book, a Star Wars movie, or a magic trick.

Of course, the burden of willingly suspending disbelief falls on each audience member individually. They're reactions to your claims will vary. The people that say "Bite me. That's just a trick," are likely to be the same ones that point out logic flaws in movies. They'll be watching for the "how" and miss the "what."

Orb

Jul 19, 2009
Sweden
I think that most people believe that it's an illusion - a skill one can learn and practice. If you want to claim that what you do is real magic, then that's fine. Most people will know it's not, but (imo) will be amused.

There is the "willing suspension of disbelief" theory by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, which basically states: "You know it's not real. You know it can't be real. But to be able to enjoy it, accept that it is real until it is over." It's putting reality and logic on hold to enjoy something, whether it is a Tolkien book, a Star Wars movie, or a magic trick.

Of course, the burden of willingly suspending disbelief falls on each audience member individually. They're reactions to your claims will vary. The people that say "Bite me. That's just a trick," are likely to be the same ones that point out logic flaws in movies. They'll be watching for the "how" and miss the "what."

There are two beliefs, or two reactions if you want. Emotional-belief and interlectual-belief. If you approach people, and with the right presentation, you can actually suspend their interlectual beliefs and knowledge, and make them react emotionally.
Everyone will be critical at first, but if you show them something, that they cannot find any logical explanation to, you wreck havoc in their mind, and their reaction cannot be interlectual, because they cannot find an answer, but rather emotional.
If you then get an emotional reaction, and you explain it such as "ah it's all sleight of hand", what a turnoff, any audience will feel not only disappointed, but stupid.
Also the presentation must be right. If they don't like you, they can just decide "bah, I'm not fooled, it's just a trick" even tho he cannot find any logical solution. Bottom line, if that happens, you have still failed.
There's a basic saying that goes "if they like you they'll like your magic", which is a little simple-minded in my opinion, but I do believe that if they like you, they'll be interested in your magic.

Jul 26, 2009
In my years (not a very long time but it sounds nice to me to write these words :D) of doing magic I never talked about somethin mysterious. I let my audience decide what they think it is......but it's kinda hardcore if somebody just smiles to you and doesn't clap because he thinks its just a gift, given you from good :D

But if a spectator asks me if it was magic or just a good trick I always give them the answer, that it was both. It's a trick in my hands and magic in their heads.

just my thoughts.

Oct 16, 2009
washington
Well, due to my religion I don't beleive in deceit, thus I say.... (when they ask ) .... that it is illusion. Although most people know it can't be real. I compare it to acting, your on a stage, pretending to be someone your not, but people know that you aren't actually that person. I can't wait to hear what others have to say! :D

i knew dali was the man

Dec 12, 2009
London Uk
When I am asked I say "its all an illusion, enjoy". When I am not asked I go on as normal, but i dont like to seem like a spiritualist i.e. Pretending to get signals or something like that.

And generally people normally know its a illusion.

Sep 15, 2010
i dont say i have powers. as a mentalist, much of what i do is not trickery so i dont say its an illusion. a lot of the time im telling them almost exactly what i am doing

Some great replies to this one.

For me, there is no limit into what they're thinking is real magic. People who don't believe and insist "It must be a trick", are going to think that no matter what. There's no changing that.

For people who are open and believe what you're doing is real magic, well . . . . . . . let them believe. Why not? You've learned all these sleights perfect so that they're near impossible to catch. Why would you ruin all that to a believer and say, "Hey this is just sleight of hand, It isn't real."

From their eyes, what just happened would be called a miracle. Why take that away from them? Miracles happen all the time with no explanation. Like Lucas was saying, magic can really open your eyes and make you realize the real magic that goes on in the world all the time, if presented correctly.

It's hard for people to think that I'm superhuman because when I perform, I'm dressed just like them. I AM just like them. I'm not in some cloak from harry potter carrying a wand with a clock around my neck. If you didn't know me, you'd have no idea I did magic.

Lastly, there's a difference between doing and being.
A painter paints art. He is not art.
I'm not magic, what I do is magic.

Mar 15, 2011
I personally work with highschool kids mostly (since Im one of them) , so if I say Im a mentalist their gonna say "Oh yeah, what am I thinking right now" And I dont wanna make up some phony excuse, so I instead say either A. Its just magic or (for the really irritating spectators) B. Im just good at what I do. I just allow them to be amazed at what I do, and that alone appears to have them question their reality as it is, so I think Ive done my job fairly well:)

Jan 4, 2011
Spain
June 2009 How deep should the rabbit hole go

I love the first one, however some how every time I think I am going to see the second one of these movies, something happens to mess it up. I think the cosmos likes to bleep with me sometimes.

Aug 11, 2011
Take the blue one -- and I will show you how deep the rabbit hole goes

Or -- the red one and wake up in your bed believing what ever you want to

Now given the state of affairs -- is the red pill now a a more or less attractive option ?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results