Ambitious Card - 'what sleights do you use?'

I think this Pass vs. Double Lift is kinda pointless. Yes, this would be appropriate if this was a thread about whats better, the pass or a double lift? To answer this plain and easy and I'm sure a lot of you will agree. The pass is way more convincing since the spectator handles the card the entire time until the very last second. This is a better way to show, someone like a heckler or someone that is being a pest, since you can actually show the card in then middle than bam! it's on top. Then yes, it perfect. But for someone that is very gullible and is easier to convince of almost everything. Then a double lift will be prime to do since the card is unbelievably inserted in the deck fair and with no movements of the left hand and the right hand never comes close to the deck.

Just my thoughts!

-Joey

Feb 9, 2009
Reno, NV
This is a pretty pointless argument, neither is better.

If show a card completely in the middle, then you pass it with a card on top of it, then you double lift it and stick in the middle again, then you're good to go.

To the spectator, you did the same move. When you passed, the probably weren't burning you or just slightly burning you. And you fairly showed the card in the middle, then when they do burn you when you put it back on top, then your double lift will cover that.

Basically, you don't replace one with another hence it will get be pointless and repetitive anyway.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
I don't dislike doubles, but I'm always hesitant to use them, because when i perform for large groups of people, there's usually one idiot: "He just turned over 2 cards and put a random card in the middle!"

But, to everyone arguing against pass:

-You don't need misdirection.
Who the hell says it needs misdirection? You square the card in and do a pass. No misdirection. If your pass is good enough, you can do it when they are burning your hands.

-The pass is more magical.
The spectator knows it was their card going into the middle. They saw it go into the middle. They put it there themselves. They were watching your hands so carefully. You snapped your fingers. The card is back on top. It destroys them.

-You can't double lift face up.
Like the previous point, the reactions are much stronger. The face up pass is one of the strongest moves in my ACR, and every time, someone asks for the deck and looks through it.

-It is an answer to spectators who are giving you a bit of trouble.
"Can I put the card in?"
You could either say:
1. "No, I'll do it."
...what the hell.

OR

2. "yeah, take it, put it in wherever"
...PWNED.

-No one knows what a pass is.
Like I said in my first paragraph, there are lay people who know what a double lift is. But if you ever encounter a person who actually knows what a pass is, there's an extremely high chance that they are a magician, or at least they know enough about our art and it's ethics, and won't heckle you in front of everyone.

I do like the double lift, but the pass is just so much freaking better.

Jun 13, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Going back to the original question...Here's my list. It's not in any particular order, as my routine varies by occasion. Also I never do every sleight in a single performance.

Bluff Pass
Marlo Tilt
Double Lift (duh)
Spectator Card Insert (not really a sleight, but it should go into this list)
James/Ellis Loading Move
Invisible Pass
Riffle Pass
Table Top Pass
One Handed Pass
a table top change (forgot what it's called, but uses the same set-up as the one handed pass)
Visual Retention Change
Classic Color Change

Sep 20, 2008
Aye, i think i got carried away there- Previous posters have all provided valid points. In the end, Both are sleights. and they're going to be used to accomplish more or less the same effect.

Good stuff guys. Lets get back on topic.

Reactions: DavidP1130
May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I'm kinda dissappointed how most people fill up their ACR's with all this high skill level and knuckle busting moves. Sure they show you have skill, but honestly... what do laymen know?
"he put the card in. it came to the top" there is no difference. So wouldnt you really want to perform the easier move than challenge for getting caught. Its like performing a center deal to show a card change.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
But, to everyone arguing against pass:

-You don't need misdirection.
Who the hell says it needs misdirection? You square the card in and do a pass. No misdirection. If your pass is good enough, you can do it when they are burning your hands.

Haven't posted on here for ages, and I don't plan to, but sorry, that smells of beginner.

Sep 1, 2007
If people catch you on your doubles it's your own fault. As simple as that.

As for my routine: I do two double lifts and a Braue Pop-Up Move.

Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
I'm sorry but how can you say a pass is more magical...

A DL looks absolutely the same to the spectator as a pass does, it's just a pass can be caught alot easier when they're burning your hands...

Many people get caught with a DL because they don't pick up a DL like they pick up a single card, which kinds of gives it away.

Sep 20, 2008
The argument between A pass and a double lift has been discussed earlier. it pretty much makes my blood boil when another comment regarding the two sleights come up again. Not to sound power hungry, or an ass overall- but i think its off topic, and if what you say regarding the two sleights are that important to you, then create a thread. weve already discussed it earlier and have been politely told off about it.

Also out of curiousity- what are your closers for your ACR?

Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
The argument between A pass and a double lift has been discussed earlier. it pretty much makes my blood boil when another comment regarding the two sleights come up again. Not to sound power hungry, or an ass overall- but i think its off topic, and if what you say regarding the two sleights are that important to you, then create a thread. weve already discussed it earlier and have been politely told off about it.

Also out of curiousity- what are your closers for your ACR?

I know I wasn't here earlier though so I thought I'd chime in, no harm done in stating my opinion.

Onto the question though, my closer is either a signed card front and back sort of thing, a card to wallet, or pixel.

Sep 20, 2008
You perform pixel already? im quite hesitant regarding the effect, but it does look promising.

Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
I've performed it for a few friends, but I don't know if I'll use it as a standalone or keep it in my ACR. It is a very visual way of showing the card jumping to the top.

This has become a debate nonetheless, but I'm glad everybody got it out of their systems and lets get back on topic like Sin the man said.

As a closer I love to do the Pop-up Move. It's been in my ACR since the very beginning, but since I saw Jay Sankey's Paperclipped I fell in love. This is by far one of the greater pieces of card magic, and one of the more better ways to end an ACR.
Also, if I want to get crazy I would demonstrate a cheaper way to find a card and have them spread the cards over a window and go through with Kaos. Saying I found their card but not being very impressed I would then pull it out. A nice moment of relief and then BAM! I pull the card out.

What is this 'Pixel' move? I don't think I have seen this before...
Thanks for getting back on track!

-Joey

Sep 20, 2008
Pixel is from dananddave.com. Its an 'on demand' trick and quite frankly, it looks absoloutely phenomenal.

I'd imagine you'd replace your Braue pop up move with this effect instead. I just persuaded myself to buy it, even though ive spent a large amount of money shopping online in Play.com

What? I bought something non-magic related?

yes, You clever sausages- There is more to the world than magic.

Feb 9, 2009
Reno, NV
If people catch you on your doubles it's your own fault. As simple as that.

As for my routine: I do two double lifts and a Braue Pop-Up Move.

How exactly is it your own fault?
I don't understand, I knew what a double lift is when I was 7, literally, all it needs is for someone to show you the "method", if you can even call it that, to know what it is.
You don't even have to be shown, it's simple and somewhat obvious, really.

I mean, c'mon, why the hell would you flip a card face-up, then back down, then jam it in the middle?

As for the pass, it's completely different, you can SHOW the card face-up in the middle, and turn it face down if you wish until they are satisfied that it really is/was in the middle. Then you pass, there's no way around it. You're not hiding anything, whatsoever, you'll get halted, questioned, or figured out(assuming they don't know what a pass if, of course).

You can accomplish the exact same movement of a double lift by passing, but it'll require you a bit more time to execute the move, that's the only con about the pass. Is that you have a gather the cards and there's a slight awkward moment of when it's done. And also, to a non-expert, there's a chance of flashing or complete failure.
I've been practicing the pass for months(maybe about 5) and it's nowhere near perfect.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results